FanFic - Other
"The Summer of 2000"
Part 2
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: Can't wait till the fall, well this is what I think will happen over the summer! The story starts right where the season finale ends.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Now we'd all like to believe that Liz realized her mistake and ran back to Max, that Michael crawled back to Maria, and Isabel ran to Alex for support, but let's be realistic and find out what could be in store the pod squad and their human companions.
Back in the cave, Michael picked up the communication orbs and then looked around to see if there was anything else they might need.

"Michael," Tess says hesitantly as she watches Michael look through the cave.

"Yeah," Michael replies turning toward her.

"You understand our destiny now, so do you really think the best thing to do is to go back to Roswell and pretend like nothing has changed?"

"Look, Tess, I don't know what's best, but I know I trust Max. He's been through a lot in the last few days and it is probably best if we do what he says for now," Michael says as he looks at Tess knowing that she doesn't really seem to care what Max has been through. Her only concern seems to be that she must fulfill her destiny and be with Max, but does she really love Max? His own destiny is to be with Isabel, but he only loves Isabel like a sister. He was right to push Maria away, wasn't he? Maria, like Liz, can't be a part of what they have to do, can she?

"But we have a destiny! Our home planet needs our help!"

Michael jumps as Tess interrupts his thoughts. "You've known that there was a 'destiny' for a lot longer than we have. Maybe you should give us a chance to absorb it all. Besides we can't very well go rescue them, I mean we don't even know where this planet is or how to get there and I'm sure we'll fit in there with our genetically engineered human bodies" Michael then turns to leave the cave. "God, now I'm starting to sound like Max. Coming up with reasons to slow down and take a step back. Come on, Tess," Michael says as he looks back at her, "we better go."

Tess starts to follow Michael when she notices a bright light flash out of the corner of her. She walks over to where she thought she saw the light and finds a metal container hidden underneath some dirt and rocks with one of the symbols on it that she had seen in the book. She starts to pick up the box, but stops, there is something about it she is uncomfortable with. She's not sure what, but she decides to leave the box for now and bring the others back later to look at it later. As Tess starts toward the cave's exit she began to wonder why Max won't except her as her mate. His mother even told him that she was his "bride" what more does he want? Why is he mooning over Liz? Tess began thinking back to when Liz came to her house and tried to explain how she was in love with Max. "But if I was Max's bride wasn't I in love with Max and didn't he love me?" Tess whispered as she stepped outside the cave.

Tess saw Michael up ahead talking to Isabel and Max standing nearby looking out into the desert. As she got closer Michael and Isabel quit talking and looked at her like she might have been the topic of conversation. Tess has always felt like an outsider, but she was hoping that once she found those she was fated to be with she would feel like she belonged for the first time in her life.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah, Micheal, I'm ready. I just wanted to take one last look at the cave, after all it might be awhile before we come out here again."

"Did you find anything?"

Tess hesitates considering telling the others about the box, but can't. There's just something about it that seems wrong, maybe Nasedo will know what it is. "No, I didn't find anything."

Tess steps toward Max, but as soon as she touches him, he jumps away from her.

"Look, I'm exhausted, I say we head back into town now."

"Let's go then," Tess says quietly looking to Michael and Isabel for support, but they aren't looking at her, they are looking at Max. How can she ever hope to belong when Max, Michael, and Isabel have spent 10 years together and she has spent 10 years alone with Nasedo.

As they walked toward the jeep, no one said a word. Everyone was deep in there own thoughts. Each wondering about their future and their past lives. The drive back to town was the same way.

The first stop was Tess, then Michael, and at last Max and Isabel were alone headed back to the only home they had ever known.

"Max?"

"Yeah, Is?" Max says as he looking at the houses along the street with their normal lawns and cars out front, wishing someday he could have that life with Liz.

"Did you want to stop by Valenti's now or wait for tomorrow?"

"Oh , God, I almost forgot…we better go now. Our parents have surely called the cops by now, we've both been gone for three nights."

Isabel stops and turns the car around so they are headed toward the Sheriff's house. "I told Mom I was staying with Tess and you were staying with Michael, but I could tell she thought I was lying. I hate not being able to tell them everything, but I guess that it is completely out of the question now. I mean who would believe we were aliens sent here to earth to fight the aliens who have enslaved our home planet. God, it sounds like a bad science fiction movie."

"Yeah, I guess your right," Max says with a smile.

"Here we are," Isabel says as he pulls into the driveway.

The sheriff's truck and Kyle's mustang are parked out front. "Is, why don't you stay here? I'll go and talk to the Sheriff and Kyle alone."

"Okay, but you've had a rough day, maybe I should go."

"No, this is my responsibility."

Max walks up to the front door wondering how he could have let things go this far. Telling the Sheriff was one thing, but now Kyle knows too. He couldn't let Kyle die, but he didn't want anyone else to be involved, to be in danger.

The door opened before Max could knock on it. The Sheriff motions for him to come in and points to Kyle who is sleeping on the couch. Max is glad he doesn't have to talk to Kyle right away, because at least this way he won't have to explain to him what happened with Liz last year at the Crashdown.

Max followed Valenti into the kitchen and watches as the Sheriff slowly closes the door behind him.

"Sheriff, I just wanted to make sure you're okay and Kyle also."

"Yeah, we're fine. Thanks to you."

"I'm sorry Kyle got involved, I didn't want things to turn out like this."

"Max, it's okay. Things got out of hand, but we've made it through and as soon as we clean up the mess we left behind, we'll be able to get things back to normal."

"Things can never be normal," Max says quietly glancing back at the door they just came through.

"What's happened, Max? I told you I would help in any way I could and I mean it. You saved my son's life."

"I can't explained what's happened, because I don't understand it yet. But I need your help so that Isabel, Michael, and I can return to our normal lives," Max turns to Valenti and looks him in the eye. "We have to get rid of Pierce's body and clean up the museum before my boss comes back into town. Isabel and I also need your help in covering for us with our parents. I wasn't sure if they had contact the police or what?"

"As for your parents, that's taken care of, I explained that you kids went on spontaneous camping trip and got into some problems when your car broke down and I helped you. They'll be expecting you back any time now. But what is this about Pierce's body?" Valenti slowly pulled up chair clearly showing the affects of the past couple of days.

"I never explained to you about who was impersonating me that night at the carnival," Max says as he sits in the chair next to Valenti. "It's all too complicated to get into right now, but the person…" Max hesitates wondering exactly how he can explain this. "The individual who was impersonating me is now impersonating Pierce so he can ensure that the FBI won't hunt us again."

Valenti looks at Max with a thousand questions coming to mind, but he held himself back, knowing that if Max is ever going to trust him completely, he would have to earn that trust by showing his unconditional support. "Alright, so we need to get rid of a body. That should be easy enough. I can take care of that tonight. I just need to make sure Kyle is okay."

"I can help. I just want to check in with my parents first." Max started to get up but a wave of exhaustion engulfed him and he slipped and fell back in his seat.

Valenti looked at Max trying to understand how he developed these fatherly feelings for a boy he hardly knew. Ever since he saved Max from Everett Hubble, he has felt a fondness for the boy, and when Topolsky came back to town and he knew what kind of danger Max could be in he has done everything in his power to help Max and his friends. When Max saved his son from certain death, Valenti knew that he made the right decision. He knew Max deserved his help and support. "You go home and rest. You've had a rough couple of days. I'll take care of the body myself and start cleaning up the museum."

"But.."

"I don't want any arguments!" Valenti exclaimed as he stood up. "You obviously need to go home and sort through some things."

Max looked at Valenti gratefully and slowly stood up. "Thanks, Sheriff."

Valenti led Max quietly through the living room where Kyle slept and out the door. "I call you tomorrow about the museum and to see if there is anything else you need. But for now, go home and rest."

Max put out his hand and shook Valenti's hand. "Thanks for helping us Sheriff. We certainly would have died or been captured without your help."

"Max, this is all new to me, but I will help you any way I can. You saved my son's life and there is no way I can ever repay you that," Valenti said as he pulled Max close to him for an uncharacteristic hug.

Valenti pulled away awkwardly and watched as Max turned around and headed for his jeep where Isabel was waiting. 'How did this happen?' Valenti wondered. 'How could I get involved with aliens?'

"Dad…..Who was that?" asks Kyle from the living room.

"No one, Kyle. Look, there is something I need to take care of tonight. Will you be alright for awhile?" Valenti asks as he comes back into the house and closes the front door behind him.

Kyle sits up and looks at his father with a confused look on his face. "Well, let's see…today I was shot and bleeding to death and then I wasn't. I found out Max Evans, his sister, and their friend Michael are 'aliens' and that Max healed me the same way he healed Liz last year. And of course I found out my father has known this for awhile and has been helping them. Is there anything I'm missing?" Kyle stands up and walks toward his father. "Oh yeah, Deputy Fisher wasn't actually a Deputy, but an FBI agent hunting for Max so he could study him and put him in a lab."

Valenti looks at his son worried that all of this might be too much for him right now. "Kyle, I don't know what I can say or do to make this better. I've what I can. I didn't want you involved, because this is dangerous and I didn't want you to get hurt."

"Look, Dad, I'm sorry. I'm just a little confused right now. You can go do what you need to do, I'm still exhausted so I'll probably go to bed early." Kyle started toward the kitchen when Valenti stopped him.

"I need to tell you everything, Kyle. I left something's out before and I thinks it's time I told you everything."

Valenti looked at his son and gestured for him to sit down on the couch. Kyle sat down relieved that his father was finally going to tell him everything.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.