FanFic - Other
"The Summer of 2000"
Part 3
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: Can't wait till the fall, well this is what I think will happen over the summer! The story starts right where the season finale ends.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Now we'd all like to believe that Liz realized her mistake and ran back to Max, that Michael crawled back to Maria, and Isabel ran to Alex for support, but let's be realistic and find out what could be in store the pod squad and their human companions.
As Liz ran across the desert away from Max, she knew she was doing the right thing. Max's destiny could not involve her. He would someday have to return to his home planet to save them from enslavement. How can she be a part of that? She kept wishing she could go back and stop him from saving her at the Crashdown. Stop herself from falling in love with him, stop herself from leaving normal. And somehow, stop the pain that she is feeling now. 'God, Max, why can't it be?' she kept asking herself as she ran toward the highway. She thought Max was her soul mate, but how can they overcome such insurmountable odds to be together.

Liz finally stopped running and collapsed out of breath a few hundred feet from the highway. She started crying uncontrollably and looked back to where she came from, wondering what Max was thinking and doing. She laid there for awhile catching her breath and reaching out to Max with her thoughts and feelings. She could almost feel him still. She had finally determined this connection she feels with Max is not normal. She could never put into words what she felt when she was near him and what she felt when she far away from him. When he was captured by the FBI, she felt an intense fear, part of it was her own fear for what they were doing to him, but part of it was also his fear. She knows this now, because she felt that same fear when she kissed Max in the abandoned van yesterday.

But that doesn't matter now. She has made her choice. She needs to let Max be with Tess, Michael, and Isabel. It is just the four of them now, and she can't interfere. Liz reached into her pocket and pulled out her cell phone. She was about to call Maria to pick her when she remembered Maria's moms' car was on the said of the road somewhere with bullet holes in it. So she called Alex to see if he could pick her up.

As she waited for Alex on the side of the road, Liz began focusing on what was said in the cave by Nasedo and Max's mom, her scientific mind trying to piece together what she had seen and heard. By focusing on science, Liz was able to detach herself emotionally and retrace what had happened. Max's essence was cloned and blended with human genetic material. Does that mean he is part human? And what exactly is an essence? It is his soul? How can you clone a soul? Obviously his experiences weren't cloned, because he remembers nothing from his previous life, but maybe that will come with time. He may someday remember how he loved Tess. Liz stopped herself from going there, knowing if she continued to think about Tess and Max, she would start crying again. Nasedo said that Max had no idea who would hear when they used those communicators. Does that mean those aliens who enslaved Max's home planet will know where Max is now? Will they come to Roswell? We all worked so h! ard so Max, Michael, and Isabel could go back home, but will they go home, now that they know the truth.

Liz's thoughts were interrupted by Alex's car pulling up. Alex hopped out of the car and ran toward Liz, picking her up off the ground and hugging her.

"Are you alright? What happened?"

Liz hugged Alex for a minute and suddenly broke into tears again. She couldn't stop herself. She didn't want to be weak and cry, but the despair she was feeling was overwhelming. After what seemed like an eternity, she pulled away from Alex and looked up at him. "I'm sorry, I just…can't explain right now. I need some time."

"It's okay, take all the time you need," Alex says as he pulled Liz close again. "Is.. Isabel and the others, are they okay?" Alex asks hesitantly not wanting to upset Liz, but needing to know Isabel was alright.

"They're okay," Liz says hugging Alex tighter trying not to break into tears again. "Can we go now. I promise I'll tell you everything later. I just need some time alone."

"Yeah, sure.." Alex says as he leads Liz toward his car.

Liz and Alex drove quietly back to town. When Alex pulled up to the Crashdown, Alex started to get out of the car to follow Liz inside, but she stopped him. "Alex, I can't be with anyone right now. I need to be alone."

"Okay, but call me or Maria if you need something," Alex said with a concerned look on his face.

"I will," Liz said quietly and turned toward the Crashdown entrance.

"Liz," Alex said hopping out of the car.

"What is it, Alex?" Liz asked turning toward him.

"Sheriff Valenti told our folks we went on a camping trip, so just be prepared for some questions."

"Oh, God, Alex! How can I face them now? I can't do it," Liz exclaimed trying not to break down and cry again.

Alex grabbed Liz and pulled her to him. "Liz, you have been through so much the last few days, and you have been strong. You can do this. You can go in there and tell them the trip was fine, but you are tired and really need some rest. Let me go with you. Let me field the questions."

Liz looked up at him knowing he was right. She is stronger than she thought. Loving Max has made her stronger. "You're right, Alex. I can do this. Thanks for the offer, Alex, but I have to do this alone," Liz says again regaining control.

Liz walked into the Crashdown knowing that whatever happens to her from this day forward she could handle, because she has had one true love in her life. She may not be able to be with that love, but that love is still there, unwavering. It's funny that at 16, Liz already feels like she has lived so much, but she has. She can't explain this to anyone, because no one has experienced what she has experienced with Max. He saved her life, he let her see into his heart and mind and soul. This connection she has with Max is so intense, there is no way for her to truly be separated from him. She can't be with him, but part of him will never leave her.

When Liz walked into the apartment above the Crashdown, her parents were there waiting for her. They were concerned, but they let her get by with few explanations seeing how tired she was. Liz walked into her room, closed her door, and got out her journal. She began writing with feverish intensity. Her thoughts were spinning and her pen wasn't writing fast enough. Liz wrote until finally she passed out from emotional exhaustion. She fell asleep with the journal by her side.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.