FanFic - Other
"The Summer Of 2000"
Part 13
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: Can't wait till the fall, well this is what I think will happen over the summer! The story starts right where the season finale ends.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Liz and company will obtain possession of the box, but you will have to wait to find out what is in it..
Liz woke up with a start. She had another one of those strange nightmares. She'd been having them all week. She guessed that it had to do with her being upset because of losing Max, but she wasn't sure. Liz looked at the clock on her bedside table and saw that it was 3:30am. Final tests start this week. She only had one test today, but her, Alex, Maria, and Kyle with the help of Sheriff Valenti have devised a plan to find out what Tess was hiding. She wanted to alert for what they had to do. Persuading the Sheriff to help out wasn't easy, but once he found out about the message Max had received from his mother, he felt that he needed to be a part of what was happening even if that meant bending the law a little.

Liz walked over to bathroom and splashed water on her face and tried to remember her nightmare. Liz had nightmares when she was little and some rather intense ones after the shooting in the Crashdown last year, but the nightmares she's had this past week have been really weird. First of all, she couldn't remember a thing when she woke up. Normally Liz remembered both her dreams and nightmares vividly. She'd been in the habit of writing them down ever since she was a child. She got into this habit when her mom told her if she wrote her nightmares down on paper that she would see that there was nothing to be afraid of. Later Liz found that if she wrote down her dreams she would remember them better, so she started doing that as well.

These recent nightmares have been unclear to Liz though. She sensed them, but they weren't really there. She couldn't explain it. As Liz looked in her bathroom mirror, she again wished she could talk to Max about what has been happening to her over the last week. She thought it might have something to do with him. She had strange things happen to her when her and Max discovered the communication orb in February, including a glowing hickey, a strange rash, and a high fever. Liz also remembers sensing that Max was scared when he was captured by the FBI. The nightmares she was having now had the same type of fear in them. Liz wondered if they were coming from Max.

After Liz finds out what Tess is hiding, she would talk with Max about is happening to her and about when he was captured. He probably wouldn't understand what is going on, but she needs to tell someone and she doesn't think anyone else would believe her. Liz considered telling Maria last night, but decided against it because she wanted to share it with Max first. It wasn't normal for Liz to keep things from Maria, but things haven't been normal for Liz for quite some time.

Liz walked back into her bedroom and plopped down her bed. She knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so she lied in her bed and worked through the plan in her head. Liz wanted to make sure that everything would go smoothly.

At 6:30am, Liz's alarm went off. She had dozed after all which was good, because she had a long day ahead of her. After working through the plan, Liz was confident it would work and she couldn't wait to put it in action.

Liz did her normal morning routine and then went downstairs to meet Maria, Alex, and Kyle for breakfast. They were waiting for her in a booth in the back of the restaurant.

"So are you guys ready?" Liz asked as she slid into the booth next to Kyle.

"For my history test, but I'm a little worried about the bio test tomorrow," Alex said knowing full well that is not what Liz was asking about.

Maria jabbed him in the arm and then turned to Liz and said, "Of course we're ready! We're not amateurs you know! We took care of Topolsky and the FBI, we can take care of one little blonde Czechoslovakian."

Liz laughed. She knew Maria was trying to lighten things up and from Kyle's expression, Liz thought he definitely needed a good laugh.

"Czechoslovakian?" Kyle asked.

"Just a term we use to describe Max, Michael, Isabel, and Tess. It's more discrete," Liz explained.

"Calling someone a nationality that is no longer in existence doesn't sound very discrete to me," Kyle said with a smile.

"I completely agree," Alex started, "and I tried to explain this to them some time ago, but do they ever listen."

Liz and Maria exchanged a look. It's good to see Kyle and Alex getting along even if they are joining forces against them.

"Okay you two, that's enough. We should get going. Is there anything you guys can think of that we missed?" Liz asked trying to get everyone to focus again.

Everyone was quiet so Liz got up from the booth and said, "Let's go!" She couldn't wait for the day to begin.

Liz rode to school with Maria. Kyle and Alex each drove their own cars. The morning was pretty quiet, but it dragged on because Liz couldn't wait until lunch. Liz took her first test 3rd period and it was a breeze.

As Liz walked down the hall toward biology, she realized that this was the first time since last week that she wasn't dreading this class. She walked into the classroom expecting to see Tess in the front in her normal seat, but she wasn't there. Liz tried not to panic. If Tess wasn't in school today then their plan couldn't take place and she would have to wait. Liz didn't think she could wait. Liz walked to the back of the classroom, trying to avoid eye contact with Max. She didn't want him to notice she was up to something. Liz sat down next to Maria and motioned toward Tess' seat, mouthing 'Where is she?'

Maria shrugged indicating she had no clue and grabbed Liz's hand and whispered, "She'll be here."

At that moment Alex walked into the classroom with Tess. Liz smiled at Alex who had obviously already started on his portion of the plan. His job was to ensure Tess was occupied during lunch. He was going to do this by having lunch with Isabel, Michael, Max, and Tess. Thus keeping them all busy while Liz, Maria, Kyle, and the Sheriff go to Tess' house to search it.

The next hour was incredibly slow for Liz, she just wanted it to end so she could find out what Tess was up to. When the bell rang, Liz and Maria waved to Alex and hurried out of the classroom, breezing past Max and Tess. They ran out to the parking lot and met Kyle by his car and they all drove over to Tess' house together.

While on the road Maria, who was sitting in the back, pulled out a blond wig with curls and put it on. "What do you think?" she asked Liz and Kyle.

"What the hell is that for?" Kyle asked looking at Maria in the rear view mirror.

"Just in case her neighbors happen to see us I figured they would think I'm Tess?"

"No offense Maria, but you look nothing like Tess," Kyle said laughing.

"I know, but her neighbors can't tell who I am from a distance. They'll see the blonde curls and assume I'm Tess. Right, Liz?"

"It's a good idea Maria," Liz said trying not to laugh at Maria in the wig. She looked so ridiculous with curls.

Kyle shrugged and continued driving. When they pulled up to Tess' house, the Sheriff was already there waiting for them. Kyle, Liz, and Maria jumped out of the car and met the Sheriff at the front door.

"You sure you want to do this Dad," Kyle asked. He didn't like the idea of his dad risking his job for Max Evans, but Kyle couldn't talk him out of it. So he was going along, hoping that everything would work out. Kyle also didn't like the idea of hurting Tess and he had a feeling that is exactly what they would end up doing. He still felt incredibly guilty about what happened with Tess Saturday night. Kyle took Tess home that night and stayed with her until she woke up. She was so upset when she woke up. She was practically hysterical. Kyle tried to explain to her nothing happened, that she just passed out, but Tess wouldn't listen. She just kicked him out and told him never to mention it again. Kyle wished he could take it back, but he couldn't. All he could do now is go along with what was happening and hope Tess didn't get hurt.

The Sheriff picked the lock on the front door and opened it.

"When did you learn to that?" Kyle asked surprised his father could pick a lock.

Jim looked back at his son and laughed, "I was quite a hellion in my youth. How do you think I can keep up with you?"

The Sheriff went into the house followed by Kyle, Maria, and Liz. He turned to Liz and said, "You have an hour. I don't like doing this, but I think you kids might be on to something. Try not to leave anything out of place," he said looking around the front room. "This place is immaculate so she will probably notice if anything is out of place right away."

"Thanks Sheriff," Liz said looking around the room. She was so excited, but she tried to contain herself.

"Let's get started then."

"Sheriff, you don't have to stay here."

"Look, Liz, I am not leaving the three of you alone. Tess may show up or even Nasedo. I am staying here with you," the sheriff said decisively. "Why don't you and Maria go upstairs and check the bedrooms. Kyle and I will look around here. And Maria, I think you can take off the wig now."

Maria looked up with embarrassment, she had forgotten about the wig. She pulled it off and put it in her purse.

"So what exactly are we looking for Liz?" the Sheriff asked.

"She mentioned something about a box from the cave. It must be from the cave where the pods were stored. It probably looks alien. That's all I know."

"Let's get to it then," the Sheriff said as he started to look around the room.

Liz and Maria headed upstairs leaving Kyle and the Sheriff.

"Should we synchronize our watches?" Maria asked.

"We'll only be a few feet away from each other Maria," Liz said rolling her eyes.

"Right. Sorry, I always get a little nervous when I break into a house."

Liz laughed. "We'll get done faster if we separate so why don't you take that room and I'll take this room and whoever gets done first will look at that room," Liz said pointing out bedroom doors.

Liz had specifically chosen Tess' bedroom for herself. She hoped that she would find what she was looking for in there. Tess' room was exactly what Liz expected. It was neat and clean and devoid of anything personal. There weren't even posters on the wall. There was one picture though. It was Tess as little girl with a guy at an amusement park. Liz wondered if that guy was Nasedo or a friend. Tess looked so happy in that picture, almost like a regular kid.

Liz was trying hard not to feel sorry for Tess, but she couldn't help it. Liz had met Nasedo. She had seen what was inside of Nasedo. He was cold and frightening and very alien. If Max, Michael, or Isabel had been raised by that, they would probably be more like Tess and not at all the people she had grown to care for.

Liz started by looking under the bed and then in the closet. Everything was so neat. There was absolutely nothing under her bed and her closet was sorted by colors and the shoes were placed neatly on a rack at the bottom of the closet. 'What kind of teenager lives like this?' Liz wondered.

Liz looked around the room hoping to get an idea where Tess might have hid the box. She checked all the drawers in her desk and dresser, but still no luck. Liz looked in the direction of the door and noticed there was access to an attic outside the door. "Maria," Liz yelled grabbing a chair.

Maria came running out of an adjacent room asking, "Did you find it?"

"Hold this," Liz instructed as she climbed onto the chair. The attic door was on hinges and opened downward, and there was a ladder attached. Liz jumped off the chair and pulled down the ladder. She then climbed up the ladder.

"It's dark up there," Maria said with concern. "Maybe I should go find a flash light."

"It's okay Maria. There's enough light coming from the hallway."

Liz looked around the attic and saw that it was as sparse as the rest of the house. All she saw were two boxes. She reached for the first box and it was marked photos. She opened it and saw that it was the box she found in the house a few weeks ago before they knew Tess was an alien. Liz put the lid back on and tried to lift it to move it out of the way, but it was heavier than she expected. She opened the box again and reached inside. Underneath the photos she found another box, but this one was metal and had an strange symbol on it. A symbol similar to the one on the communication orb. When she grabbed the metal box, Liz got a strange feeling in her stomach. She couldn't explain it, but she felt that the box was trying to communicate with her.

"Maria, take this," Liz said holding the box out for Maria to grab. Maria climbed a couple of steps up the ladder and grabbed the box.

Liz straightened up the pictures and then put the box back where she found it. On impulse, Liz reached for the other box just to see what was in that one. It didn't have a label. Liz opened it and found more pictures, only these were of Tess with different people. Liz could only guess that these were pictures of her with Nasedo. In most of the pictures Tess looked sad and lonely. Liz understood why Tess had only one picture displayed in her room, it was probably the only picture she has where she is actually smiling. Liz closed the lid of the box and then went down the ladder.

"We better get going," Liz said to Maria who was looking at the box. Maria reached for the lid and Liz said, "Don't open it. That's for Max, Michael, and Isabel to do."

"Well, you hold it then. I don't think I can help myself."

Liz took the box from Maria and immediately she got that feeling again in her stomach. She also felt a slight heat coming from the box. She handed it back to Maria saying, "No, you hold it. Just don't open it." She didn't know what was in there, but Liz was scared because of the reaction she was having to it. Liz grabbed the chair and put it back where she found it in Tess' bedroom.

Maria looked at Liz with concern. "What's wrong Liz?" she asked following Liz into Tess' bedroom.

Liz turned toward Maria. "Do you feel anything when you touch that? Does it feel at all warm to you?"

Maria looked down at the box and then back to Liz. "Actually, it feels cold to me. Like metal," Maria said. "What's going on with you Liz? Does this feel warm to you?"

Liz looked at Maria. She wanted to tell her, but what could she tell her. She didn't know what was going on with her. "I don't know Maria. Something is happening to me, but I don't understand it. Let's just get that to Max, Michael, and Isabel as soon as possible."

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.