FanFic - Other
"The Journey"
Part 16
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. Never have, never will but would like to.
Summary: After finding out Maria's true identity, the gang deals with their feelings about the new-found knowledge. Could Maria's true identity be a danger to her?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Please email and let me know your thoughts on this fiction. If you can see the possibility of a third part to this fiction, please email me and tell me what you'd like to see in a third part. If you haven't read my first fic, "Secrets", then this fiction will make no sense because it's a sequel. To read my first fic, email me (jamiep@egyptian.net) or visit crashdown.com
Isabel and Maria pulled into Grand Forks less than an hour after Max, Michael, Liz, Tess, Alex and Kyle. Isabel knew that they couldn’t stay in the same vicinity as her brother. There was too much of a chance that Max would realize that she and Maria had also driven to Grand Forks. They farther into town an found a motel located near the industrial part of the city. Many warehouses and building surrounded the motel so Isabel was sure her brother wouldn’t find them. They checked into their rooms and decided to go out walking around. They didn’t know where to begin their search, and they didn’t know how they were going to uncover anything with only the two of them searching.

Maria looked around. "Well, which direction should we head?" She asked, standing in front of the motel. "I don’t think it really matters."

"Let’s head down by the river." Isabel said. "Maybe we can ask around. I guess it would sure help if we had some last names, wouldn’t it?"

Maria laughed. It had been great finding the names, but Isabel was right. Last names would have been even better. "Yeah. Last names would be good." She said.

They walked over to the street that paralleled the Red River. There was no way they’d be able to ask people who Mark and David were. There could be millions of them in that city alone. It was useless for them even to try to search.

"Maybe we should just try to find Max and the others. I’m sure they could use our help." Maria said to Isabel.

"No!" Isabel exclaimed. "They don’t trust you. Isn’t that obvious?" Isabel had to make Maria understand. "Tess has done something to them. She’s brainwashed them or something. They think you’re the enemy. I just have a bad feeling about it. I think she’s the enemy."

"Iz," Maria began. "Tess couldn’t be the enemy. I mean, well, I guess she could be, but still…that just doesn’t make sense."

"Nothing makes sense anymore, Maria. Don’t you understand that?" Isabel asked.

"I understand." Maria said. Everything was in chaos. Isabel and Max were fighting, everyone seemed to hate her, and Tess was the most trusted of the group. It was definitely true. Nothing made sense anymore.

Not knowing what else to do, they gave up on their search and turned back towards the motel. As they turned, they caught sight of Tess, crossing the street and heading towards an old warehouse near the river.

"What do you suppose she’s up to?" Isabel asked.

"I don’t know. She’s alone. Let’s follow her." Maria said. "Maybe she knows something."

Isabel and Maria allowed Tess to enter the building through a rear door and then crossed the street. When they were sure she wouldn’t hear, they opened the building and followed her in. Tess passed two men sleeping in chairs and walked into a large open room.

Maria nudged Isabel. "Iz…it’s them." She said, pointing to the two men. "It’s our father, and Michael’s. Tess knows where they are."

"I know." Isabel said. "Let’s go."

They crept pass the sleeping men. Isabel noticed Maria staring at the tall, skinny man. She knew if his eyes were to open, she’d see her eyes staring back into her face. Isabel pulled Maria pass and they slid into the doorway, unnoticed. Up against the wall was a bunch of oil drums. They made their way over to the drums and hid. They heard Tess talking to someone. It sounded like a one-way conversation. They listened as Tess spilled the beans to whoever was in the room. Moments later, they saw the tall, thin man walk into the room and kiss Tess tenderly.

Isabel and Maria shot each other a look. How could that be? Their father, kissing Tess?

"Torturing the prisoner?" They heard their father ask.

A prisoner? That must have been who Tess was talking to. Isabel had been right. Tess was the enemy. They had captured someone and lured them all here. As they continued to listen to their father and Tess talk, they were stunned by what they heard their father say.

"Poor them, never really knowing the real Tess." He said with a laugh. "And if my plans go right, they’ll never know that the real Tess exists." He looked at the girl who was tied up.

"It’s just a matter of time now." The imposter Tess said. "It’s just a matter of time."

"You are a good wife." The man said, putting his arm around her. "You’ve done well. In less than 24 hours, I’ll be able to complete my plans."

Had they just heard right? Tess wasn’t really Tess. The girl who was tied up was the real Tess. Both girls were shocked beyond belief.

"I have to go." Tess said to their father. "They expect me back soon."

"Alright then, go." He said. "We need a little fresh air ourselves. We’ll be back here after 5:00. Bring them here then."

Isabel and Maria watched at the their father, Tess and Michael’s father, who’d just woke up, left the building. After they knew everyone was gone, the come out of their hiding spot.

"Oh my god, Iz." Maria said. "We’ve got to warn Max and Michael. It’s a trick. Our parents aren’t who we think they are and neither is Tess!"

"Wait!" Isabel said. She turned towards where the girl was tied up. Maria followed close behind. The girl was very sick looking. She looked a lot like Tess, but much skinnier. It was obvious that the Tess they knew had cloned herself.

"Hello." Isabel said. The girl looked up. Her eyes found Isabel’s and a single tear fell down. Isabel slowly removed the tape that covered the girl’s mouth. It had been months since the tape had been removed. Her lips were dry and cracked. Blood began to collect as soon as the tape was gone.

"Isabel?" The girl asked. "Maria?"

Isabel took a step back. "How…How did you know it was us?" she asked?

The girl looked at them. "You’re one of us. I can tell. I’ve been searching for you. My name is Tess." She tried to shift into a more comfortable position but couldn’t. "Please help me."

Isabel looked at her. "One of who?" Isabel asked. She had to be sure that this was the real Tess.

"An alien." She said. "Your father, Mark, the tall man and David, the average looking man have held me captive for the last year. They’ve hired Mark’s wife to assume my identity and lure you to them. Maria," she looked at Maria. "Mark doesn’t want you to know about his secret. He doesn’t want you to know you are his child. I’ve got written prove and stuff in my backpack up against the wall. He wants you dead. As soon as you are dead, he, David and Aliyah (his wife) are going to our home planet and taking us with them. We have no choice in the matter."

Maria looked away. Her father wanted her dead. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. "And they others? What about Liz, Alex and Kyle?" she asked.

"They all will die." She said. "Unless we can do something to stop it."

Isabel looked away again. She couldn’t imagine the world without Liz, Maria, Alex and even Kyle. Liz and Maria were her best friends. Alex, well she couldn’t even begin to describe how she felt about Alex. And being forced to return to their home planet? There was no way. Isabel knew what she had to do. She looked around the room for anything that could cut through the ropes that were tied around Tess’s arms and legs. She managed to find a sharp stone and commenced to cutting the ropes. At last Tess was free.

"We don’t have much time." Tess said, looking at Maria and Isabel. "They’ll be back at 5:00 and Aliyah should have lured your friends here by then." Tess tried to stand. It had been months since she’d stood last and she couldn’t keep her balance. "You guys go without me. I can’t go. I can barely walk. I would just hold you guys up."

Isabel looked at Maria. They were through leaving people behind. Maria reached down and placed both of her hands around Tess’s ankles. The connection was instant. She searched and searched for a place to add strength. Finally she found where the weakness was. The instant she began to heal Tess she was flooded by images.

Tess looking for them.

Tess keeping a secret log in her backpack.

Tess being captured by their father.

Aliyah assuming Tess’s identity.

Tess being beaten by their father.

Tess being tied to the chair.

Tess doing without food or water.

Tess hearing the plans for Max, Isabel, Michael, Kyle, Alex, Liz, Maria and her.

Tess seeing Isabel and Maria.

And just like always, the flashes ended as soon as Tess was healed. Maria pulled her hands away from her ankles with tears in her eyes. She couldn’t believe what Tess had been through. Her father was evil.

"Why is he like that?" Maria asked Tess. "Why is our father so mean?"

Tess looked at Maria. There was no time to explain. They would need to know someday, but not now. "I’ll tell you later. Right now, we have to get to Max and the others. We don’t have much time."

"She’s right. Let’s go. I can’t loose them." Isabel said.

The three girls walked out of the warehouse and back to the motel to get Maria’s car. They had to find Max and the others. They had no clue where they were going, or how long it’d would take them to get there. The only thing they did know is they had to find them fast. There were only two hours left until Mark, David and Aliyah returned, with the group, to find Tess missing.

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.