FanFic - Other
"Remembering Our Pasts"
Part 13
by Charmed Kitten
Disclaimer: I don't own them, I'm just borrowing them. I make 'em happy for a while then give them back. Just the way I found them, depressed and fighting. Oh, but I own Lady Raine and the other characters that I've added. =)
Summary: This is part two in my yet unnamed series. The first part in Our Real Families, you should read that before this one to understand what is going on. This is a few days after Max and Tess come back from New York. The gang hasn't been able to get together and talk because Max's parents are concerned and won't let him out of their sight except for school.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: I'd love feedback if you don't mind, even criticism. =) I need help with a name for the series. If you have any ideas, please e-mail me with them. Thanks!
Liz sighed heavily as she, Michael and Maria sat down, one on each side of her. She focused her gaze on a small patch of the blanket before her as she rested her head against Michael, her left hand entwined with Maria's.

"Okay. In October, Maria took Alex and I to Madame Vivian," Liz began.

"What does this have to do with our trip to my mother's psychic, Liz? I don't remember you tell me this part?" Maria asked in confusion.

"I didn't tell you this part, cause, well, honestly, I never thought that I would tell it to anyone. Besides it doesn't matter now." Although Liz's face was still turned to the ground, the group noticed the way that her shoulder's had dropped and how much she truly leaned against Michael and gathered strength from him. They watched in amazement. They knew in that moment that this was something more than simple comfort sex or trying to get Max to accept his destiny.

"Anyway, we went to Madam Vivian to see what our futures held with the three of you. I was told that Max would chose love, he would chose me and that we would be married." Max sucked in his breath sharply. "That night I went home and I was so excited. I was playing bride, living out my dream in the privacy of my room," Liz said with a wistful tone and expression on her face. She had moved to lean her head against Michael's shoulder, lost in the memory.

"Then I was scared and startled by this loud noise outside my window. It was Max, only, not our Max. He was older, with longer hair that had grey in it. And more battle worn and scarred. I didn't want to believe that it was him. I tried to convince myself that he was a shapeshifter or another alien. But then he knew things. He knew that Max was going to be at my window to serenade me. He knew that Max was going to change the color of the roses from red to white. He knew when my father was going to come up. I was amazed but still really scared. I mean....what do you say to the future version of the man that you love?" Liz said as tears filled her eyes. Max wanted so badly to reach for her and comfort her, but he was still so confused and hurt. She lifted her head and met his gaze, almost as if she knew that he had wanted to comfort her.

"Max. You, I mean, he told me things about us. That because we got together, because we made love the night of the Gomez concert, Max, it brought about the end of the world." The only sound in the quarry besides the gentle breeze was the quick gasp of breath that had been taken by Max.

"Liz."

"That's why I did what I did. That's why I told you that I wouldn't die for you, that I didn't love you that much, when I really did. If you had just chose to turn from me then, I would have never gone further. But you wouldn't give up," Liz said with such sadness in her voice.

"Oh, my God. Liz, I'm so sorry that I put you through that," Max said with tears forming in his eyes.

"He told me that the night of Gomez, we made love and that our bond was cemented, that nothing mattered to us anymore but each other. And because of that, because of me, you started to treat Tess worse. Until she finally left. She felt like she had nothing here. And that was the beginning of the end. That's what I had to prevent. Tess couldn't leave and you couldn't be with me because you needed her to complete the group. We were married when we were nineteen," Liz said with the wistful look back on her face. "We got married in Vegas in an Elvis chapel." Chuckles were heard after that comment by all. "Maria, Michael, Alex and Isabel met us in Arizona and we dance the night away. Our song was "I Shall Believe" by Sheryl Crow. We danced to it on my rooftop before he vanished. He twirled me around and around, but then when I stopped, he was gone. And I knew, I knew that it was over."

Everyone was silent at that moment. Each trying to imagine Liz's torment at that moment on the rooftop, each wondering if they would have been that strong.

"After my speech to you about not wanting to die for you and everything and how even then you wouldn't give up, he told me the one thing that forced me into doing what ever I had to in order to make you fall out of love with me," Liz said as she looked straight at Max with tears running down her face.

"What was it, Liz?" Max asked in a husky voice from his tears and pain at his love's sacrifice.

"That two weeks before Isabel had died and twenty-five minutes before he had come, he had held Michael in his arms as he died. Max, do you understand now? Because of us, because of our love and how lost we get inside of it, Michael and Isabel died!" Liz got up and began pacing behind the group. "Honestly, I could care less about half the people in this world, but Michael and Isabel? We caused that. No, I caused that. Because I wasn't strong enough to stay away. I didn't stay in Florida like my aunt asked me to, like I wanted to. I missed you too much. I needed to be on the fringes of your life, since I knew that I couldn't be a real part of it. I needed to see and know with my own eyes that you were okay, that all of you were safe. To help if you needed me to. So I couldn't stay away, even though I knew that it would be the best thing, that it was the only way."

"Liz. You weren't going to come back?" Maria asked with pain in her voice.

"No, Maria. I wasn't," Liz said with a defeated voice as she sat down once more between Michael and Maria. "I was going to transfer, I had the paper work done and everything. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave forever, cause I knew that it had to be that way. All or nothing, and I knew that I would slowly die with nothing and I was too selfish to do that to myself. So I came back, knowing that I was tempting fate and destiny." Liz looked down at the blanket briefly before raising her eyes to the sky and cursing. "I thought that I was strong enough. I thought that I was stronger than my desires, then my dreams. I thought that I was so much fucking stronger than I really was," Liz said as she collapsed into Michael's arms in tears.

"Liz," Tess said as she crawled across the blanket, past Max and Isabel, and knelt in front of Liz, her cousin. "Liz, you are so much stronger than you think. You gave Max up for the fate of your, well, um, this entire world. You sacrificed your happiness and Max's in order to save the world."

"No, not to save the world. I did it to save our world. The world that is right here in this quarry. This is our world. I did it because I couldn't handle the thought of Michael and Isabel dying, especially because of me."

"But Liz, it wasn't because of you," Max broke in. "It was my fault. I pushed Tess away."

"No. Actually, you're both wrong," Isabel said with a smile on her face. "It's all of our faults, but probably mostly our mother's. She never told us about Liz or Alex. Honestly, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. It was suppose to be this way. Think about it you guys. If none of this had happened, then we wouldn't know about Liz and Michael being twins or Alex and Tess being brother and sister. We had to experience the pain in order to reach this point."

"But did it really have to be this bad, Isabel?" Liz asked. "Did I really have to make Max think that I slept with Kyle? Did I really have to do all of that in order to make this moment happen?"

"So you really didn't sleep with Kyle?" Tess asked. Both Liz and Kyle shook their heads no.

"We just laid in bed together. I was in my boxers the whole time, I don't know what Liz was wearing. She was completely covered by the covers or a towel the whole time. I have seen more of her at the pool then I did that night," Kyle said.

"Liz, yes, you did have to do all of that," Isabel said quickly wanting to change the subject before Kyle stuck his foot in his mouth again.

"Why, Iz, why did Liz have to suffer that and not any of the rest of us?" Max asked in anger and anguish.

"Because Max, you wouldn't have gone to New York with Tess, Rath and Lonnie. Liz, you wouldn't have bonded with Michael and you wouldn't have turned to him for support when you found out that Max was still going to be coming for you, whether you liked it or not. Michael would have had to comfort you and you two never would have fallen asleep together and entered you subconcious and I never would have been dragged into it. So none of this would have happened and we would have all thought that you and Alex were simply human," Isabel finished with a flourish.

"You're right, Isabel. None of this would have happened," Alex said in amazement. All of them fell silent at the knowledge that they had gained. They knew deep inside that they would not be the close knit group that they currently were and the family they were starting to become. The last few days since the summit had been life changing ones for all of them. They had discovered things about themselves that they had never known or could have ever know if things had been different. One by one they turned to Liz and thanked her for giving up so much so that they could have such a wonderful family as the eight of them had become.

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.