FanFic - Other
"Honey I Can't Remember"
Part 8
by John
Disclaimer: Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
(Alex arrives back his home, but he's surprised to find Devin not at home yet. He decides to go ahead and get ready for bed. He's just about to crawl in when Devin comes home.)

Devin: Hey, I enjoyed my first night in Roswell.

Alex: Like Isabel told you, it's not exactly a swingin' night spot. In fact, except for my band, it's not a swingin' anything.

Devin: I like your chick Alex. But…man oh man! Isabel? What kind of name is that?

Alex: (Feel’s bad for Isabel.) Well, it's her name for one thing. It's as good as Alex…but maybe not neat like Devin.

Devin: Sorry! I didn't…didn't need…uh…mean to be rude. So, when do I get to hear your band play?

Alex: We've got to rehearse tomorrow. We've got a gig next weekend. Some rich kids' birthday party…big blowout.

Devin: Awesome! I'll bet you guys are great.

(Alex just realized that Maria might not be well enough to perform with his band.)

Alex: I don't suppose you can sing?

Devin: Only to chicks…why?

Alex: My lead singer…she was in an accident.

Devin: Oh…that must be my twin's girlfriend?

Alex: Yeh...you guessed right!

Devin: It had to be. The other girl in the accident was the cutie I saw with the Incredible Hulk at the...the Conkdown. She didn't look like a singer to me.

Alex: Crashdown! And he's not a hulk…he's one of my best friends…his name is Max. He happens to be Isabel's brother.

Devin: Right, Crashdown! Isabel's brother, Max! Got it!

Alex: Her name is Liz. You heard about what happened?

Devin: Yeh! Your buddy…Mike is it? He came in while I was there. He told me about what happened. You weren't kidding about my looking like him. That's just weird, man.

Alex: He goes by Michael. His former foster father used to call him Mickey…he hates anything even close to that.

Devin: Michael…got it!

Alex: Look…I'll introduce to all my friends when we go to school. We gotta get you registered too. Did you bring your transcripts?

Devin: Yep…I'll dig 'em out before Monday. (pause) Say…I notice Roswell's really into this alien gig, isn't it?

Alex: I guess so. For better or worse, the town's famous for it.

Devin: Ever see any alien chicks?

(Alex thinks…”Only everyday, thank God”)

Alex: How would I tell?

Devin: Guess they'd look like the waitresses at the Con…Crashdown.

Alex: Probably! Look, I'm beat. What say we hit the sack? Dad said to put you in the guest- room. Second door, left side, down the hall. Sorry it's so far from the bathroom.

Devin: Is there a phone line in there? I brought my laptop. I like to surf the web.

Alex: No…I don't remember one in there. We could maybe run a line from here sometime. In the meantime, you can surf on my computer if you want.

Devin: Thanks cousin. This may not be too bad a place.

(Alex thinks…"It didn't used to be".)

Alex: I think you'll like it. Goodnight Devin.

(Devin goes and gets some stuff out of his Jeep. He starts making himself at home in the Whitman's guest room. He takes out his laptop and boots it up. Then, he does something very strange. He brings up a page and he just sits and stares at it for a few minutes, almost in a trance. He then puts everything away. Taking off only his shirt, he turns off the light and lies down on the bed. In the dark, there's still a very dim red glow in his eyes. He thinks to himself…"goodnight Alex". Meanwhile, over at the Evans…)

Isabel: So you and Liz…it's gonna come together?

Max: It has to Isabel…and it will if I can just keep anything weird from happening before I get her totally prepared to accept the truth.

Isabel: How are you going to do that, Max. She won't have your saving her to convince her. Are you going to float an object in front of her or something?

Max: I don't want to be that corny. You know me…I seldom use my powers just to use them.

Isabel: Max? Was Michael right when he said, "Maybe we shouldn't tell Liz and Maria, again"?

Max: Iz, we discussed that. I couldn't be with Liz if she didn't know all about me. How would you feel if Alex didn't know all about you?

Isabel: You're right, I remember Alex' and my relationship before and after. It's better now. I must be too tired to think straight.

Max: I'm tired too.

Isabel: Max?

Max: Yeh.

Isabel: What do you think of Devin Whitman? There is something weird about that guy…and I don't just mean the way he interacts with people.

Max: Like what then?

Isabel: Well for one thing, listen to him speak. In some ways he's today, in other ways he sounds like dad…more like he's from the seventies.

Max: I don't know Isabel. He is a little strange…but then so is Alex.

Isabel: Hey…

Max: I don't mean that in a bad way or anything…just a little different.

Isabel: Like us?

Max: In some ways, I suppose.

Isabel: Another thing…I still don't get ANY vibes from him. Usually I can sense a person…not connect with them or anything unless it's you, Michael or, more recently, Alex…but I usually can sort of sense a presence…sometimes even good or bad.

Max: I know what you're saying. I can too; but usually I have to work at it.

Isabel: Try it with Devin, will you. See if I'm nuts. Alex said he'd try too.

Max: OK, I will! Let's also get photo of Devin…we can use dad's digital camera. Then maybe you can dreamwalk and put your mind at ease.

Isabel: I don't fear him or anything like that…I just don't know what to make of him.

Max: I'm sure he's OK. Alex would never bring anyone around that could be a threat to us.

Isabel: Alex wouldn't, I know that. Be Alex didn't have much say in Devin's being here.

Max: True! (pause) Let's not worry any more about Devin tonight…things will be fine.

Isabel: I suppose you're right. Goodnight, Max.

(The next morning being Sunday, everyone is sleeping in. Alex woke up about 9:30 and thought briefly about going to church with his parents. No, he decides, Christmas and Easter…that's often enough, isn't it? Somewhat later, he and Devin begin to stir. Devin knocks on Alex's door.)

Devin: So, what's on tap for today, cousin?

Alex: As I told you last night, my band's gonna rehearse this afternoon. The guys are coming over. I guess we won't be needing your services as a singer though. Maria's feeling better and is coming over too.

(Alex had called Maria to see if she was up to it. She said yes…she needed to get out of the house.)

Devin: I can't wait to hear you guys.

Alex: We have fun…and we're not too bad either.

(Around noon, Alex has diner with his family. At the table, Alex tries to sense something…anything… from Devin. He notices that Devin doesn't eat very much, but decides that's his prerogative. After dinner, Alex and Devin head for the garage and are setting things up when members of his band arrive. Maria arrives a little after everyone else. Alex introduces Devin to the band members and they start their rehearsal.

Devin sits down in front of the group. Not long after they begin rehearsing, Isabel comes in looking for Alex. She sits down next to Devin.)

Isabel: Hey!

Devin: You like Alex's band?

Isabel: I like Alex.

Devin: That was noncommittal.

Isabel: Very perceptive. I like to hear Maria sing. I'm hoping when she does, it will bring back some of her memories.

Devin: That must be hard on her, losing her memory.

Isabel: It's hard on Michael and the rest of her friends too.

Devin: Michael…my twin?

Isabel: Yes. They were pretty thick.

(Maria finishes a song. They decide they need to rehearse it again. As they do so, Devin suddenly jumps up and begins singing with Maria. At first, Alex and the guys almost quit playing, but she signals them to keep going. Devin actually sings very well and they sound good together. After the song, Devin and Maria sit down with Isabel as the band plays another song…sans vocalists.)

Devin: Sorry…I didn't mean to do that, but I just got in the mood.

Maria: It's OK. It was fun. You're good! I'm going to ask Alex if you can sing with us when we perform.

Devin: I don't want to butt in.

Maria: No…it'll be all right.

Devin: Well, I need to make some new friends. That might be a way to do it.

(The band finishes practicing and everyone is packing up to leave. Maria, Alex, and Isabel stay and talk.)

Maria: Devin can sing, can't he?

Alex: Not too bad, cousin.

Maria: Can he sing with us when we play next time? It would be fun.

Alex: I'll have to ask the other guys in the band.

Maria: I doubt they'd mind.

Alex: I don't know…I will ask them though.

Devin: Whatever…I wasn't trying to audition or anything.

Maria: So, are you liking Roswell?

Devin: It's different. I need to get to know more people.

Isabel: So…I understand you met Michael. Any idea why you guys look so much alike?

Devin: He's lucky I guess. Just kidding. Seriously, no! I don't know of any family ties.

Maria: You won't find any with Michael I'm sure. He is an orphan. Until recently he had a foster parent. Alex told me he lives on his own now.

Alex: That's right! He's emancipated.

Devin: You shouldn't hold that he's an orphan against him.

Maria: I don't. I guess he and I were getting pretty close when I lost my memory.

Isabel: You were. He's hurting that you don't remember.

Maria: I promised him I'd see him again.

Devin: Tell me where he lives. I'll take you over there. I'd like to talk to him too…about our common appearance.

Maria: I…I don't remember where he lives.

Isabel: He's at the bottom of Saturn Drive…the complex next to the green house.

Devin: Want to go?

Isabel: I don't think he'd appreciate seeing you with another guy, Maria.

Maria: I suppose you're right. I did tell him I was open to getting reacquainted. I better consider his feelings that he says he has for me. I'll see him some other time. Why don't you go track him down by yourself, Devin? I bet he's curious about the twin thing too. I need to get with Liz and go over our school stuff anyway. I don't know how were going to catch up on the six months of school we don't remember.

Devin: I could tutor you. I'm a pretty good student.

(Maria thinks, "That's something Michael couldn't do. He skips school too much and he's just barely getting passing grades.)

Maria: I might take you up on that. We'll have to see if it's even possible to catch up.

(Isabel wants to tell her she has a plan to help with that, but of course, she can't.)

Alex: Well, if you two have plans, maybe we should make some Isabel.

Isabel: How about you come to my house and I fix us some large ice cream sundaes?

Alex: Sound good to me. Is Max there?

Isabel: He was when I left, but if he's found a way to see Liz, I'm betting that's where he is.

Alex: No matter! I just needed to talk to him about borrowing a couple of CD's he has. I'm looking for new things the band can play.

Isabel: I don't know if his CD collection has much to offer your band.

Alex: He said he had some stuff I needed to hear.

Isabel: Whatever!

Alex: Dad will expect us back around 7:00 for dinner Devin, and I need to get you up to speed on school, so don't be too late.

Devin: I expect, if I find Michael, that we can say all there is to say about our appearances in about ten minutes. It's really just a curiosity.

Isabel: Come on Maria. I'll give you a ride to Liz'.

Alex: I'm with you two.

Devin: I'm gone. Later! Enjoyed the music.

(At the same time…Isabel was right about Max. He's climbing up to the balcony to see Liz. She's startled to see him on the balcony but she smiles and lets him in.)

Max: Didn't mean to scare you.

Liz: You seemed pretty at home out there.

Max: I am. Been there a lot.

(Liz hold out her hand and pulls him closer.)

Liz: Somehow, I think I believe you.

Max: You better. I made you a promise once. I said I'd never lie to you Liz. I never will.

Liz: So…come to tell me some of your secrets?

(Max thinks to himself: "Am I going to have to break that promise?")

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.