FanFic - Other
"Honey I Can't Remember"
Part 6
by John
Disclaimer: Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
(Michael can't stand it anymore. He's got to go see Maria, even if she doesn't remember him. Liz has agreed to see Max to. Both guys are anxious to get their relationships back on track.)

Michael: (On the phone.) Maria?

Maria: Yes!

Michael: Hey!

Maria: Hey yourself. Who's this?

(Michael feels sad. She doesn't recognize his voice.)

Michael: It me, Michael.

Maria: Oh…Michael Guerin. I wanted to thank you for visiting me at the hospital.

Michael: Could we…I mean...I'd like to see you…talk to you.

Maria: Alex said you'd be calling.

Michael: I was wondering…if you're feeling up to it…could I come by…

Maria: Yes…but probably only briefly. My mom still thinks I need quiet. If you want to come over, I'll tell her you're coming.

Michael: Do you feel well enough to go out? Liz and Max are meeting at the Crashdown.

Maria: That's easy for Liz. She lives there. My mom probably wouldn't let me go out just yet, but we can talk here.

Michael: See you shortly.

Max: So, is it a go?

Michael: Yes…could you drop me at Maria's on your way to the Crashdown.

Max: Sure!

(Michael thinks about all the good times and the bad times he and Maria have shared. How can he get things rolling again? What does he say to her? Max is thinking the same things regarding Liz.)

Michael: I wish we could do this together Maxwell, but Maria says her mom won't let her out tonight.

Max: I'll see how things go with Liz. It's possible she and I could drop by Maria’s. I just don't know how normal this is going to be. Ready?

Michael: Let's do it.

(Shortly, at Maria's...)

Maria: Hello Michael. Alex tells me you recently swept me off my feet.

Michael: I think it was more like you beat down my wall and I grabbed you.

(Maria smiles.)

Maria: So…I'm told you have sketches of me. I'd like to see them.

Michael: I wish I'd brought them. It could maybe show you how I feel about you.

Maria: Michael…this is so weird. You realize I don't remember anything since last fall.

Michael: I know…and don't take this wrong…but that's killing me. I can't believe how much we shared...how close I let myself get to you in those six months. I've never let anyone get as close to me as you were. I might never be able to do anything like that again either. I'm seventeen. I've mostly been a brick wall, Maria. I don't like the world. I don't trust people. I can't ever let myself get close to anyone.

Maria: Why is that, Michael.

(Michael's mind is racing for an answer. How very much he wants to tell her why. He just wants things back the way they were. But he knows now is not the time for the truth.)

Michael: I…I think I'm afraid Maria. I'm fear that I can't be what people want me to be. I'm afraid people will be disappointed in me. I know I'm not a Romeo. I'm a little rough when it comes to romance. Other guys can probably offer you more. Sometimes I act before I think. I'm not the ideal person Maria. You and I had more than one little…I hate to say fight…but that's probably what they were. But, you came back. You came back even when I told you to I didn't want to be close to anyone. I might not even be alive now if it hadn’t been for you. You kept banging on the door. I don't know why you showed me the love that you did. I didn't deserve it.

Maria: I don't give love freely either, Michael. That much I remember. I've had a few boyfriends. If never been swept off my feet by any of them. Alex tells me I used to act like a fool when I was around you. He tells me you did some pretty nice things for my mom and I. Since Alex has always been like a brother to me, I know he wouldn't lie…not about this. If I gave love to you, it was most certainly because you deserved it.

Michael: Alex has become a good friend to me recently too. I know I said I don't let people into my life…and as a rule I don't. Isabel and Max Evans have really been my only friends for years. In the past six months, I've made a couple of others: you, Liz Parker, and Alex. It has been amazing how I've been able to accept these people. At first, I sort of had to, mainly because Max got real attached to Liz. Then, it became obvious Alex and Isabel we're hitting it off. By then you and I were in a love-hate relationship. You were the one that got the hate out of it. Maria…I just want you back in my life. I know you don't remember any of this. I know you think I'm just some guy…but please…give me…give us a chance to work again.

Maria: (Pause) Michael, you're sweet. I'm still not running on all cylinders. I don't know if my memories will ever come back. But I've felt something from you tonight… something really sincere. All I can say is, let's just see what happens over the next little while. I think I'm beginning to understand what we had, at least descriptively if not emotionally. I’ll say this for you and me and for Liz and Max too. If it is meant to be…if you're the one for me, if Max is the one for Liz… I think it will happen all over again. If it’s not, then this…what's happened to me…to us…is a way to end it.

Michael: What if Max and Liz recover what they had? Will that influence you?

Maria: I can’t say for sure. You know what has influenced me? Alex and Isabel! I couldn't believe the way Alex…the brother I never had…my Alex…was looking at Max Evans' sister; the Ice Queen of Roswell! Somehow, he's melted her. If that can happen…anything is possible. I know where everyone says you and I are supposed to be, Michael. It's going to take some time and some interaction to see if I can get to that point emotionally. It's too soon to tell. All I can ask if for you to have the same type of patience I'm told I showed you.

Michael: I'll try Maria. I'll try!

(Michael leans over and kisses her. She smiles. She makes no attempt to pull away, but she doesn’t return the passion.)

Maria: Goodnight, Michael Guerin.

Michael: Good night, Maria. Oh...and Maria…one more thing. This is weird. Did Alex tell you abut his cousin?

Maria: His cousin? Oh yes…he did say something about him.

Michael: I can't explain why, Maria; but his cousin looks just like me…I mean we have almost identical features. His hair is different…but other than that…he’s my twin.

Maria: …And you don't want me thinking he's you.

Michael: No…I don't. I haven't met him, but Isabel has. She was not impressed. She says he's kind of a ladies man.

Maria: I'm not open to just anyone, Michael, especially having been told about what you and I are supposed to have had. But I can’t promise you anything right now. I’m sorry.

Michael: Get well soon, Maria!

Maria: I will, Michael. Goodnight!

(Michael leaves and starts to walk home but decides to go by the Crashdown instead. He has mixed emotions about his encounter with Maria. She didn't tell him to get lost as he feared she might…but she didn't exactly fall all over herself trying to be close to him either. At least he warned her about Devin Whitman. He enters the Crashdown. Liz and Max are seated at a table. Devin Whitman is there, seated at a table with three girls. Michael hears his name mentioned. Devin seems to be some kind of attraction, but Michael is more interested in Max and Liz. As he walks by, the women notice Michael…then look back at Devin. Devin looks amazed. So does Michael. He stares at Devin for a moment.)

Devin: You must be Michael. Alex said you looked like me. I didn't realize how much. Come; join us. Two of us has to better than one, right?

Michael: So you're Alex's cousin. The one who looks like me!

Devin: …And you're Alex's friend. The one who looks like ME! Awesome!

(Michael takes an immediate dislike to Devin, although he can’t pinpoint why.)

Devin: Sit down man…you know these girls?

Michael: I've seen them at school.

Angie: Wow…am I seeing double. Guerin…didn't know you were a twin. But then…you are kind of a mystery man.

Lynn: What a trip…there are two of you. Devin…maybe you can bring Michael around…he doesn't talk to us or date much…although he had been seeing one of the waitresses here recently.

Devin: Is she here?

Michael: No. I just left her home. Did Alex tell you about her friends from here at the Crashdown that got locked in a cooler?

Devin: Briefly!

Michael: She was one of them. She breathed in some gas and had a loss of oxygen for awhile. It affected her memory. She can't remember the last six months.

Angie: Not at all? I heard she was rushed to the hospital, but I didn't know she lost her memory.

Michael: Liz Parker too. They're both in the same boat.

Peggy: Liz is sitting right over there with her boyfriend.

Michael: Yes, I know. I want to go see her. I'll catch you all later.

Devin: Hey man…we gotta talk…compare notes on this look alike thing. Later man! Now Angie…as I was saying…I've got a Jeep outside and I was thinking we could….

(Michael thinks, "Oh no…not another we've got to talk situation". Even so, he really would like to talk to Devin in private. Something doesn’t feel right and he’d like to pinpoint it. Michael says to himself, “I hope the girls tell him to kiss off…but they probably won't. If it wasn't for my secret, he thinks, I could socialize the way he does…

(Michael moves over toward Max and Liz.)

Michael: Hey Max! Liz!

Max: Hey Michael. Did you see Maria?

Michael: Just came from there.

Liz: How is she? I'm feeling physically stronger, if not mentally.

Michael: I think that describes her situation too. She's a little scared I think.

Liz: I am too, to tell you the truth. Maria's my best friend. Alex tells me she and you have been together.

Max: Just like you and me, Liz.

Liz: Yes, he's told me that too.

Michael: Have you two been getting reacquainted?

Liz: Actually, we just barely sat down when you came in. I thought Alex's cousin was you with a new hairstyle when I first saw him sitting there. Max was just telling me about the coincidence.

Michael: It's a little creepy looking at him.

Max: I won't tell him you said that.

Michael: I'll bet he says the same thing about me.

Liz: Any idea about him. Why he looks like you?

Michael: I guess there must be cloning going on in Alamogorda.

Liz: That's where he's from?

Michael: That's what Alex said. (pause) Hey, you two have better things to talk about than Devin Whitman. I'll let you guys catch up. See you tomorrow, Max…Liz.

Max: Bye, Michael.

(Michael decides that since he had time alone with Maria, Max deserves the same chance with Liz, so he heads home. On his way out…)

Devin: Hey twin…I'm taking these young ladies for a ride. Wanta come with? I still say two of us has to better than one.

Michael: No thanks Devin. I need to get home. Have fun!

("What a twit", Michael thinks to himself. "If I ever act like that, I hope someone kicks my butt".)

Max: So, where were we Liz?

Liz: You were telling me that you hope we can form or renew the relationship that apparently I've forgotten about.

Max: This is really hard for me Liz. We've been so close…and now you don't even know me.

Liz: But I do Evans Max.

Max: Max Evans!

Liz: I'm sorry…for some reason I keep saying names backwards. I don't even know I'm doing it. Somehow whatever affected my brain caused that problem too.

Max: It's OK. I've been called worse.

Liz: I doubt that. You are one of the nicest, sweetest guys I know.

Max: You keep saying you know me…but then you say you don't.

Liz: I know you the way I've known you for ten years. I've been watching you. Something about you has always interested me. We've talked. We played games when we were younger. But we were never more than schoolyard playmates. Lately, I remember, even that seemed to be slipping away…I guess because we got older.

Max: That was my fault. I watched you from a distance for many years too. I'd been afraid to get involved with anyone. But if you just remembered the last six months, you’d know that changed.

Liz: I read some things in my journal. Alex has told me some things. I get the idea we were getting very close.

Max: That's the right idea, Liz.

Liz: When you kissed me at the hospital…it felt so right…like it was completely normal. I can't tell you why I should feel that way.

Max: We didn't get to where we were without some bumps along the way. Most of those bumps were my fault. If we can do it again, I'll try not to make the same mistakes.

Liz: This might be a good thing then…if I don't remember your mistakes?

Max: But the thing you need to know, even if you never remember anything else, was that you never gave up on me. You may have wanted to. Once, I even said we should take a step back from each other. It made us both miserable. But you kept hoping. You still had a desire to be with me. I finally realized what I had done was wrong. Oh, and if you'll let me, Liz…there's so many things I can tell you about that we've done together. I really want to do it.

Liz: I'm inclined to let you. When Alex told me you and I were together, I couldn't believe it. It was a dream come true. But Max…?

Max: Yes?

Liz: I've been wondering. Why did we just get close during the last six months? Why did you feel you couldn't be close to anyone before then? It must have been awfully lonely for you.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.