FanFic - Other
"Everyone's Waiting"
"Visions"
Part 3
by Daphne
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
As the boys sit down, the door opens, making the cowbell ring. Maria waltzes through the door into the nearly empty restaurant. “Hello, people. It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?” She stops short when she sees Kyle and Max sitting with some cute little blonde. She’s struck silent for a second but easily composes herself before anyone notices. Liz walks up to her best friend. “Hey, you’re early. What’s up with that?” “You know me, always ready to get my hands dirty.” She and Liz laugh. “Nah, Amy forgot to pick up some groceries, so I figured that I’d get a free meal at my place of employment. You got any fries?” “Be right up. Why don’t you go sit with Kyle and Max? You keep staring over there, you might as well be a part of the conversation.” Liz pulls on Maria’s hair. “And you can meet Cate’s her brother, Michael.”

******** Michael looks up as the door opens and his breath catches in his throat. The girl talking to Liz looks just like Kay. He closes his eyes for a count of five and takes a deep breath. He’s not imagining it. Her face is the spitting image of Kay. She has the same expressive eyes and generous lips. She even has the same smile.

Cate is watching him, concerned. She turns to follow his gaze. She turns to Michael and then back to Maria, who, by this time, is approaching the table.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” Maria asks.

“Maria. I thought you were working,” says Kyle.

“Not for half an hour. Came to grab some grub.”

Max sees Michael staring at Maria and realizes she hasn’t been introduced. “Maria, this is Cate,” he says pointing next to Kyle, “and Michael.”

As she turns to see Michael, she is in awe. “Remember,” Max says, “Isabel was telling us about them. They’re new, from Dallas, right?”

Michael and Maria’s eyes are still fixed on each other. “Yeah, Dallas. I met Maria yesterday. This is my brother, Michael.”

Max and Kyle look at each other, confused. “Didn’t I just say that?”

Maria’s gaze breaks away and she chuckles. “You know no one pays any attention to you, Max.”

Everyone laughs, breaking Michael out of his spell. He shakes his head and looks at his sister, who is watching her brother carefully and looks worried. ********

“Didn’t you see it, Cate? She looked like Kay. She could have been her twin.”

“Well, kind of. They have a few of the same features, but I don’t know about twins. I met her yesterday, and, to be honest, there was something familiar about her, but I never even considered Kay. I am not as caught up in Kay as you are. Are you okay, Michael?”

Michael, in a trance, jumps when his sister touches his arm. “Are you okay?” she repeats.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m fine.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“No, I’ll be okay. I just need some time alone,” he says as he walks to his room.

“Well, if you need any help…” Cate says, but stops when she realizes he can’t even hear her. “I’ll be right here,” she whispers.

********

Liz sat at the counter with her eyes closed, rubbing the pain out of her feet. Someone grabs Liz gently from behind.

“Max? What are you doing here?”

“I just came over to say hi,” he says, unconvincingly.

“Well, that’s nice of you. So, what are you up to?”

“Well, nothing really. I just…um…well, you see…”

Liz looks at Max expectantly. “Yes?”

“I just came to ask you if you would like to go on a date with me,” Max rushes out before he can lose his nerve. “We won’t be the only ones there. Kyle is bringing Cate.”

“Oh. That sounds nice, Max. Um…when?”

“Oh, sorry. Tomorrow.”

“Sounds great. When will you pick me up?”

“I don’t know…can I call you?”

“Sure.”

“Well, okay then.” Max stands there, uncomfortable. It seems he can’t come up with anything else to say, so he looks around nervously and stuffs his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “I guess I…I will see you. Tomorrow.”

“Yes, tomorrow.” Liz smiles as Max abruptly pivots on his heal and rushes out of the restaurant.

********

“So, you met Michael. He’s a doll, isn’t he?” Isabel looks away from her image in the mirror to Maria, sitting on the counter.

“Very much so. I got the strangest vibe from him. It was really weird. It’s like we knew each other. Like some cosmic connection, you know? There’s a familiarity there that I can’t quite place. Does that sound strange? Do I sound like I’ve been drugged?”

“My, aren’t we a bit dramatic today? But you know it’s entirely possible. Stranger things have happened, and I’m living proof of that.” Both girls laugh. Then Isabel says, more gently, “I heard from Max that Kyle is taking Cate out tonight.”

“Liz told me. It’s kind of strange, but I’m okay with it. I don’t get it. It’s like some fairy swooped down and expunged all the feelings I’ve had for Kyle.”

“Yeah, the Michael fairy,” laughs Isabel.

“Well, if there’s one thing I learned from Kyle, it’s that I have to me more assertive.”

“What do you mean by that? What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. But I just can’t sit around waiting for someone again. I will make this happen. And one way or another, I will not be pining away for someone.” Maria looks in the mirror, trying to feel confident, but looking kind of defeated. Isabel eyes her, amused, thinking to herself, *It’s about time*

********

Michael walks into the Crashdown, hoping to find Maria there. He sat up thinking about her all night. When he finally fell asleep, he dreamed about her, only he doesn’t know she was Kay or Maria. He doesn’t see Maria, so he grabs a seat at the counter and a menu.

“What can I get for you?”

He looks up and she’s standing there. But he isn’t ready yet. He has to take his time because he doesn’t want to ruin it, doesn’t want to push her away. “Um…I’ll have a blast off shake and curly fries.”

“Okay,” Maria says as she is writing down the order, not even making eye contact. “It’ll be a few minutes.”

Maria takes her time walking to the kitchen window to place the order because she doesn’t want him to know the effect he has over her. Then she walks into the employee lounge and grabs her cedar oil out of her locker. She takes a seat on the sofa. “It’s gonna be okay. It will be okay. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. Okay, you can do this, DeLuca. Just get it over with.” Maria stands up and straightens out her uniform.

********

Liz stands in front of her mirror, wondering if she should change into the turquoise dress. *No* she thinks, *Max’s favorite color is blue. I think* “Lizzie, your date is here!”

“Thanks, mom. I’ll be right out.”

Liz slips her feet into her new shoes and grabs her purse.

As she walks into the living room, the sight of Max perusing the latest Spiegel catalog greets her. “Max.”

“Liz. Wow, you look great.”

“Thank you…so do you.” Max was wearing a tight black tee shirt and dark blue jeans. “Should we be going?”

“Um…yeah. We have to pick up Kyle and Cate.” ********

Michael looks up as Maria places his curly fries down in front of him. “So, um…how do you like it here in Roswell so far?” Maria asks as a slight pink blush spreads across her cheeks.

“Oh, um, it’s nice. Kinda hot, but everyone is very polite.”

“I bet you haven’t seen the whole town yet, not that there is that much of it. But if you need someone to show you around, I would be more than happy to.” Maria stood, heart pounding and hands shaking, waiting for his response. When none was forthcoming she said, “Or I could just draw you a map.”

“Oh, um…No. That would be great. Really. I was just a little shocked is all. That was the first time anyone has asked me out.”

“Well, I didn’t mean…yes I did.” Maria smiles, hoping this will alleviate the tension. “But if you have a girlfriend, I totally understand.”

“No. No girlfriend. To be honest, I was thinking about asking you out, but I didn’t want to move too quickly and scare you off. But I guess I’m not scaring you off.” Michael smiles shyly.

"I get off at ten."

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.