FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda"
"PLAYING HOOKY"
Part 4
by Jennie
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
The car parked in a shady spot at the rear of The Crashdown. Michael amused Maria, as he was careful not to park too far under the tree so that birds didn’t excrete onto the deep blue paint job. She almost didn’t notice when he got out as well. Almost.

“What are you doing? Don’t you have school?” She watched as he hefted Clay into his strong arms with ease and started inside. Why did he have to be so damn good with the kids? Here she thought she was completely over him and he had to convince her otherwise. If she didn’t know any better, she might’ve thought it a game for him.

“Yep,” he answered as Maria slipped Annalee out of her car seat and ran to catch up to him, a very difficult feat with a baby.

“Well, aren’t you going? Don’t tell me that you still have that selective amnesia that only strikes around school time.”

Michael opened the back door and waved her in. “Down girl!” he laughed. “It’s okay… I actually have a grade point average above zero now.”

Maria raised a delicately sculptured eyebrow. “Not that I don’t believe you… okay… I don’t believe you.”

“Okay, MOM. I’ll show you my report card later. Besides, how else are you going to get your stuff to the apartment, brainiac?”

Maria rolled her eyes but grudgingly had to admit he was right. Shudder the thought, but she could hardly go down the street with the kids, much less carry huge bags as well. “Fine, but only because I’m desperate,” she agreed.

“Of course.” He grinned triumphantly, pissing Maria off even more.

Twenty minutes of struggling later, they climbed back into the newly packed car and headed home. Home… that had a nice ring to it.

Clayton was growing more agitated by the minute and Maria didn’t blame him. She was growing annoyed as well with all the short car trips they had taken that day.

When both Clayton and Annalee went into ‘Cranky Baby Mode,’ Maria was thankful that Michael was there. While she tried in vain to calm the kids into sleeping, Michael took the liberty to move not only her things into her room, but also his couch so that she could sleep semi-comfortably until her furniture arrived the next day.

After an hour and a half, the two terrors still hadn’t stopped their ear piercing cries and Maria didn’t know what to do. Michael had disappeared a few minutes earlier, but Maria understood. She would’ve bailed too if given the opportunity.

Finally a thought occurred to her. How could she have been so stupid? It was obvious what was wrong.

“Michael!” she screamed, trying to be heard over the cries. “Help!”

A wet-headed Michael peeked his head out of the bathroom. “What?” he asked, worried.

“You screamed bloody murder for a favor?” he asked incredulously. She nodded and she could have sworn she could hear him growl, so she turned on her sure-fire puppy dog look until he sighed loudly in defeat. “Fine, hold on.” A moment later, he came out, slightly dripping, with only a blue towel wrapped around his waist.

If her hands weren’t currently busy rocking the two carriers, she would’ve wiped her chin because she was sure she was drooling.

“Well?” he asked, hands on hips and foot tapping. “Did you need something or did you just want to stare at my body?”

That snapped her out of her stupor. “As if you have anything worth staring at.” She rolled her eyes, a common gesture when she was around Michael, trying to hide her blush. Clayton began to hit new octaves and Maria was reminded of her revelation. “Go into my room and find a stuffed, black and white cow. It’s in one of the bags.”

“That’s the life and death situation? You reek of drama as usual Maria.” He passed by her spot on the floor and scratched his head, water droplets cascading onto her.

Maria took the opportunity to check out his backside before he disappeared into the bedroom. “Mmm…” she unconsciously moaned. Luckily, the babies’ cries drowned it out.

“Cute, Maria,” Michael called, an arm hanging through the doorway. Dangling off his fingers were her favorite ‘Die Aliens, Die’ underwear. Maria giggled.

“What? You don’t like them? And what are you doing going through my underwear anyway!” Maria wished he would hurry up. Her arms were cramping up from rocking the two babies.

“I found it!” he said victoriously.

Smiling, Maria turned to Clay. “Clayton,” she said in a singsong voice. “Look what Uncle Michael found.”

The split second the child saw the cow, the crying from his end quieted. “Cap’ed!” he squealed in that unintelligible baby way.

“Cap’ed?” Michael questioned.

“Don’t ask, you don’t want to know.” Maria smiled down at the calming baby.

“Fine. Can I finish my shower now?” She dismissed him with a flick of her wrist. “Oh, THANK you, your highness,” Michael continued, bowing. “Glad to have serviced you.” And with that, he turned and shut the door on her.

***

It was peaceful. Maria lay on the flat carpet listening to the sounds of the two sleeping babies on either side of her. It was remarkable how one affected the other. Once Clay had calmed down, Annalee did too.

She heard a rustling coming from the bathroom and immediately shot up and jumped in front of the door just in time to wrap her hand over Michael’s mouth.

“Shh,” she whispered, removing her hand only when he nodded in understanding.

“Here’s the keys to my apartment. Please take whatever you want out of the fridge,” he whispered back, his lips gently brushing against her ear, sending shivers up and down her spine.

“Why? Where are you going?” she asked, taking in his attire.

Black suit, dark blue shirt, no tie, top button undone… very nice.

“Work.” He leaned down and brushed his lips over her cheek. “I’m glad you’re home.”

“Oh, this is SO not good,” Maria grumbled to herself after he left.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.