FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Balance Regained"
Part 2
by Christina
Disclaimer: The characters aren’t mine. No infringement intended. Melinda Metz, you rock!
Summary: Post Blind Date.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Post Blind Date episode. I also used lyrics form Natalie Imbruglia’s song One More Addiction.
Liz woke up groggily the next morning to find Max sleeping next to her. She sat up immediately, remembering to previous night.

“Oh no,” she whispered to herself over and over again as she rolled out of bed and pulled on a t-shirt. What did I do? I slept with Max Evans, she thought.

Max groaned and rolled over in bed. He opened his eyes to find Liz sitting in the corner of her room with her arms wrapped protectively around herself. He suddenly remembered. It hadn’t been a dream. It had been real. Her body pressed against his, his lips on hers and nothing to stop them.

He got out of her bed, sat down next to her on the floor and put his arm around her. She couldn’t even look at him.

“I’m sorry, Max. I’m so sorry. I didn’t want it to go that far. I just wanted to be with you.” He tuned to face her.

“This is as much my fault as it is yours. We both made this decision and we’ll both deal with the consequences.”

“What do we do now?”

“Don’t tell anyone, not even Maria.”

“I know. You can’t tell Michael or Isabel either.”

“No. This is our secret. It always will be.” He kissed her on the forehead and wrapped her up in a hug.

* * *

“Okay. What’s up with you? I’ve been trying to call you all weekend.”

“I’m sorry, Maria. It’s just. . . I don’t know. Social interaction wasn’t something I could deal with.”

“What happened?”

“It’s a long story. A long confusing story.”

“Well, now that we know how your weekend went you should know the status of mine.”

Maria bantered on as Liz’s thoughts drifted back to Saturday night. How Max had swept her up into his arms and spun her around until she was dizzy and light headed, how good his kisses felt, and the panic of the morning after.

“. . . and he said ‘mud.’ I couldn’t believe it. That’s the second time he’s said it. Then I turn to walk away and he jerks me back to him and kisses me. And ohmigod, it was good. And then I panicked and told him I had to finish the show. I swear, I need therapy, Liz.”

“I wouldn’t give up on him yet.”

“He’s going to hurt me again, Liz. I just know it.”

They approached Liz’s. Max was leaning against it. Liz smiled at him.

“Hi Max.”

“Hi.”

“Tell Michael thanks for stopping by the concert. I’ve got to get to the club for practice. I’ll call you, Liz.”

“Bye, Maria.”

Max moved to the side and Liz opened her locker.

“So. . . waiting for anyone in particular?

“Nope, just you?” he said as he gave her his signature half smile, “Do you want a ride home?”

“Thanks. That would be great.”

They walked to Max’s jeep. Liz threw her bag in the back and climbed into the passenger seat. Max climbed into the driver seat. They both sat there in silence.

“I guess I’ll speak first,” Liz said.

“What was Maria talking about earlier?”

“She and Michael had one of their moments. Don’t ask.”

“Michael told me a little of what went on. Turns out that the magical word, mud, isn’t working for him anymore.”

“That’s why you guys say ‘mud’,”she said as she playfully tickled Max’s side, causing him to squirm.

“You can stop now. Anytime, “ he said between bursts of laughter.

A glint of laughter and mischief flashed in her eyes. She took Max’s keys from the ignition and bolted from the jeep. Max ran after her. He caught her around the waist, picked her up and spun her. It was a feeling similar to a tilt-a-whirl ride. When he finally set her down, Liz turned to face Max and they engaged in a deeply passionate kiss that Liz felt from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught Kyle approaching and broke off the kiss.

“Hey, Max. Liz.”

“Kyle, don’t you have practice?” Liz said with tension in her voice. Max instinctively moved closer to her.

“No hard feelings, Max. I’d just like my keys back.”

“Yeah, your keys,” Max said as he fished into his pocket and pulled out the keys, “Here you go,” he said as he tossed Kyle the keys.

“Thanks, man,” he said as he walked back toward the school.

Liz let out a sigh of relief. “I thought sure he was going to start something.”

“I guess this is your lucky day,” Max said as he and Liz walked over to the jeep.

* * *

“ Yes! Yes! Yes! We got the song down!” Maria squealed as she jumped around the stage of the club. She was doing what her friends liked to call the ‘all-purpose Maria-happy-dance.’

“Okay,” Alex said, “but let’s do another clean run through and then call it quits for the rest of the day.”

Maria stopped dancing and repositioned herself in front of the microphone. “You’re the boss. Count it off, Alex.”

Just as Alex counted off the beat, Michael strode into the club. Maria froze. She couldn’t get one note out until Alex swatted her lightly on the arm.

First the good news,
It’s gonna feel very nice,
Then the bad news
You gotta pay a heavy price
Rip tide, we slide we ride on a deep forbidden sea
Under we go- so slow
And you’re hanging onto me
And I say
Oh. Oh one more addiction in my world
Oh one more connection to let go
Oh floating down the river
Out of sight forever(from my world). . .

When the song ended Maria picked up her bag and ran out the back door. Michael followed and caught up to her. “Maria.”

“I have to go.”

“I have to talk to you.”

“Look. What do you want from me? I kept your secret, I backed off when you asked me to. What more do you want?”

“I’m sorry- for everything.”

“It’s not that easy Michael.”

“What do you want from me, now?”

“I want you to make up your mind. Do you want to be with me, or not?”

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“It’s a little too late for that- a little too late, “ Maria said as she walked to her car.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.