FanFic - Max/Liz
"Bumps in the Road"
Part 2
by Melissa
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with "Roswell" or the WB in any way. I am also not affiliated with the "Roswell High" book series by Melinda Metz. I have however received some greatly appreciated help from Bexter (a fellow poster and fan fiction writer)!
Summary: After "Missing" ... what if Liz never remembered the shooting happened or about Max saving her life?
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Liz could feel her ears ringing and her head throbbed. Her eyes were closed but it felt like the room was spinning out of control. The ringing was so loud. She could hear voices speaking her name but they sounded far away, and then they began to get closer and closer. She heard Maria, "Liz, Oh my God, please open your eyes! Don't freak me out!" She opened her eyes and saw people standing over her. The images were fuzzy at first, but became clearer quickly. Maria was on Liz's right side holding her hand while trying to remain calm and Max Evans was standing behind Maria with a desperate look of concern in his dark brown eyes. Kyle was on her left side holding her hand saying her name and asking if she was all right. She looked up at him and his face became clearer. He looked so worried about her. Maybe he wasn't such a bad guy after all. He just wanted to protect her which she found sweet in an old-fashioned sort of way. "Kyle," she finally said, "What happened? And why am I laying on one of the tables?" Maria answered, "I hit you with the door as you were coming and I was going! Please don't be mad at me! I just didn't see you coming!" Then Kyle chimed in, "You fell to the ground, so I picked you up and lay you on one of the tables. Do you feel all right? Do you want us to call a doctor?" Then Liz saw the expression on Max Evans' face. She had studied his face from afar many times over the years. She watched him walking through the halls, in study hall, she had even gone to one of his wrestling matches, but she had never seen him look so scared. It confused her. She suddenly realized she must be bleeding or something horrible to cause that type of reaction from someone who was usually so cool. She looked at Maria, "Am I bleeding?" She raised her hand to her forehead to feel the giant goose egg she could already tell was forming and to see if she was bleeding all over the place. The way Max looked at her freaked her out. "Kyle, what's wrong with me?" She started to sit up, but he gently pushed on her shoulders and kept her laying down. "No, no, no. You're not going anywhere just yet. You got hit pretty hard, and I want to make sure you're OK before you sit up or move."

Maria agreed, "Liz, just lay still for a little bit. You're not bleeding, you just got in a fight with a door and the door won." Maria breathed a sigh of relief that her best friend was conscious, but she was confused by how Liz was acting towards Kyle. She didn't let go of his hand yet, and she barely noticed Max was standing right there. She seemed different. Maria wasn't the only who noticed that Liz hadn't let go of Kyle's hand yet. Max finally spoke up, "Liz, how do you feel? You gave us all a scare. Should we call an ambulance?" He touched her arm tenderly and looked at her with such emotion. His hand was so warm. She never realized how dreamlike his eyes were.

"Um, no thanks, Max. I think I'm all right. I think I'll just go upstairs and put some ice on my head." She turned towards Kyle, " Can you help me upstairs please, Kyle? Just in case I feel dizzy or something."

"Um, OK. If that's what you want." said Kyle grinning from ear to ear. He was confused by her but happy at the same time that she would turn to him now instead of Max. But he asked anyway, "Are you sure you don't want Maria or Max to walk up with you instead?" "Oh I'm sorry. Maria, would you mind staying down here and finishing up with my customers? I hate to dump them on you, but …" "Liz, consider it done. I'll come upstairs later to check on you. I'm sooooo sorry about this!"

"OK then, I'll see you later. Max, thanks for your concern. I'll see you in lab on Monday all right," Liz said as she started getting off the table. Max nodded in agreement, too speechless to utter a word. What was going on? Max watched as Kyle helped her up, put his arm around her, and led her up the back stairwell to her residence, his heart breaking all the while. Why would Liz ask Kyle to help before Max or Maria? It didn't make any sense. She had looked at him like he was practically a stranger to her, a casual acquaintance. His heart ached. He didn't know why she would act this way. Michael, who had been quietly observing until now, finally stepped forward and in his eloquent way asked the question on everyone's mind, "What the hell was that?!?!?"

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 1 | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.