FanFic - Max/Liz
"Bumps in the Road"
Part 1
by Melissa
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with "Roswell" or the WB in any way. I am also not affiliated with the "Roswell High" book series by Melinda Metz. I have however received some greatly appreciated help from Bexter (a fellow poster and fan fiction writer)!
Summary: After "Missing" ... what if Liz never remembered the shooting happened or about Max saving her life?
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
The Crashdown was hopping. It was Thursday night and the place was unusually packed. Liz and Maria were both working again. Max and Michael had just entered and grabbed a booth, as usual. They seemed to be spending a lot of time there lately. The food wasn't that great, but they liked the service. Kyle was sitting at a table with a couple of his friends, the guys who beat Max a few weeks earlier. They were sitting diagonally from Max and Michael, but Max wouldn't look at Kyle. Although that didn't stop Kyle from trying to burn a hole right through Max. Max tried not to notice, but it was difficult to ignore. This made Michael more uneasy than Max.

"I don't like the looks they keep giving us. Max, I'm just gonna walk by their table, and if they just accidentally spill their food all over themselves at the same time … well, it would just be a coincidence. Right?" he smirked with his eyes twinkling at the image. He began to get up from his seat just as Liz walked over to get their order.

"Hi, guys. Do you know what you want?" she asked. She looked at Max directly while she asked. He got her meaning, looked her straight in the eyes, and replied, "I'll have a First Contact, no onions." Liz laughed lightly and moved her hand to cover her mouth. She forgot she was holding her pencil, and it slipped out of her fingers. Max and Liz leaned over at the same time to pick it up. They were so close they could feel each other's breath on their faces. "A First Contact burger?" she repeated. Max picked the pencil off the ground, and slowly each one got back up. When he handed it back to her, her fingers touched his lightly and she let them linger a little longer than she had to. Michael interrupted their interlude, "I'll just have a Borg Combo Platter. You know what they say, resistance is futile." She took one more glance at Max's deep brown eyes, "Don't I know it."

She would have stayed at that table all night long if she could, but it was too busy. There were only two other waitresses on duty, Maria and Agnes, and Agnes really didn't even count anyway. She had to get back to work. She walked back towards the kitchen to place Max and Michael's order and pick up one for another table. Liz and Maria had been doing this for so long, they knew each other's motions and worked very well together when it got busy.

Max watched Liz as she exited the kitchen. She was carrying an order to a table for a family of five. She almost crashed into Maria on her way to the table, but she caught herself and just stuttered a little bit. This restaurant was definitely not big enough for all the business it had been getting lately. But Liz had such poise. The kids were screaming and throwing things at each other. The parents were trying to make room for their plates so Liz had some room to put them down, and she handled it with such ease. She could keep her cool in crazy situations. Max smiled to himself as he watched the two boy children pushing and shoving one another. They couldn't be more than 7 or 8 years old. Finally, one of them blurted out to Liz, "My brother Brad likes you! Will you marry him?" Liz laughed and said, "Oh, I don't think we can do that yet. How would all the other girls feel if I married you before they had a chance?" Brad looked up at her and nodded with all the wisdom of his 8 years and said, "Yeah, I guess you're right. That wouldn't be fair. You're not mad are you?" She smiled down at him, "I think I'll be OK." The parents smiled at her graciously and Liz turned around to walk back towards the kitchen.

Liz could feel the penetrating stare of someone's eyes on her. She looked up and saw Kyle watching her. He smiled. For a moment she felt sorry for him. He didn't really understand why she broke up with him. Kyle thought it was because of Max. He didn't realize the problems with their relationship were with them, not some outside force. They had fun together, in the beginning, but it just became too much of a routine. She wanted to be more than a trophy on someone's arm. She wanted to be Liz Parker, not just Kyle Valenti's girlfriend. Max saw the way Kyle watched Liz. In a way, Max was envious of Kyle, because Kyle didn't have a deep, dark secret threatening his life and the lives of everyone who knew him. He was just your average 16-year old guy with friends, girl problems, and an ordinary life. "At least Kyle is 'normal' and can't get Liz killed," Max thought.

Liz was still thinking about the Kyle situation as she made her way to the kitchen. She didn't check through the window of the kitchen door like she was supposed to before she started to walk through it. Maria was scrambling around in high gear gathering up an order. Maria had her back turned and was pushing the door open just as Liz was about to come in. Liz turned her head around to catch one more glance at Max before she disappeared in the kitchen. It had become an involuntary reflex for her. She could still feel Kyle's jealous stare on her. She glanced at him, and saw the pain on his face. She felt sorry he was hurting because he really wasn't a bad guy. He just needed to move on. At that moment, Maria flung the door wide open with a tremendous force! It met Liz's head just as she turned around to push the door open knocking her far back onto the floor. Maria dropped the tray, and Kyle and Max both jumped from their seats to see if Liz was OK. There she was laying motionless on the floor with Max on one side and Kyle on the other. Michael and Maria both thought to themselves, "Not again."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.