Fanfic - Max/Liz
"For Then, For Now, Forever"
Part 11
by Selena Santiago
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell or any of it's characters, however I love borrowing them whenever I come up with some insane ideas to write about! OH, and any songs are copyright of the respective owner.
Summary: While rummaging through one of Grandma Claudia's old boxes Liz finds a beautiful necklace. She finds herself being haunted with memories that are not her own. Could this necklace be the key to Max's past? Or is it the key to his future? Takes place mainly in the happenings of this season, but goes back and forth between events.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: I'd love feedback. Positive or otherwise... and let me know what I can do to improve or if you just liked it! Thanks!
Liz looked at the reflection of the man in the glass doors. Michael made a face almost smiling and waved at Liz. She got up and went to unlock the door. She smiled sadly and locked the door behind him.

"Heard you might need a friend."

"Who said that?"

"Max."

"Figures." Liz slumped in a chair and Michael pulled one down to sit next to her.

"I noticed things have been weird between you two. I don't wanna see you guys break up again. I mean, I saw what Max was like with you; I liked who he was. With Tess he was bitter and all angry. He needs you Liz." Michael made a pathetic face and Liz looked down at her hands. She was playing with the salt and pepper shakers, sliding them from side to side. She stopped, thinking for a second, and looked up at Michael.

"Did he send you?"

"Does that matter?"

"Did he?"

"Yes." Liz shook her head in disapproval.

"But only because he cares about you Liz."

"It won't work. You yourself said so. I want it to... so bad. I've been trying so hard. I just feel like it was so one sided. You know what it's like."

"Because I'm scared. Liz, I've never felt like I fit in anywhere until we met you guys. I always wanted to go home and be normal. But when Maria... I just knew this was home. Don't let love slip away Liz. It's what makes us human, all of us."

"Michael..."

"'Nuff said." Liz smiled and reached out for his hands.

"I know you miss her. And I'll be willing to bet all I have that she misses you too. But our situations are different. Max has a destiny."

"You really think she wants me back?" Liz shot Michael a look and he started laughing. "Kidding. Look, I have a destiny too."

"I know."

"Soooo, what's the problem?"

"This." Liz shot her necklace across the table at Michael.

"What the....?"

"Just hold it for a while, you'll remember." Michael stared at the intricate design of the Earth. He closed his eyes and felt himself go back.

~FLASH~

They ran down the hallway to the chem. lab. They stopped, both trying to catch their breath.

"Where are they?"

"I don't know." Zan looked around trying to come up with another plan. Rath was panicking, this was not good.

"I'm sorry." It was short and choppy, obviously unrehearsed and uncommon. Zan looked at Rath unsure of what to say.

"For not being there I mean. I'm supposed to always help you. Now Vilandra is dead, because of me."

"No. She's dead because of Kivar. You were off on official duty. Don't blame yourself, it's not worth it." Rath pouted as he usually did when he was frustrated.

"Rath?"

"Yea." Zan stopped the nervous search for the bottled chemistry and lifted up the labeled beaker.

"If this doesn't work, I want you to know it's been a pleasure. You've always been like a brother to me." Rath smiled and patted Zan's back.

"Ditto." Finally, they ran out in search of Serena, Larek, and Eliza.

~REALITY~

"What is that thing!?" Michael dropped it on the table and Liz grabbed it, placing it around her neck. "Another one of your alien artifacts, what else?" Maria walked in through the back swing door and sat between he and Liz.

"Don't start!" Michael lowered his eyes angrily at Maria.

"Start what? Do you see what you guys are doing to her! What all of you are doing to her? You guys are like the Alien Mafia!"

"Mind your business ok?" Maria raised her eyebrows and looked at Michael with an attitude.

"You know what? I'm not even gonna bother arguing with you because I know it turns you on too much! I'm just going to ignore you!"

"Yea?"

"Yea!"

"God you're cute when you're mad." Michael gave Maria a seductive look, and just when Liz was catching on to the entire all too fast conversation, Michael had practically thrown himself on Maria and kissed her. Liz got up laughing. She silently made her way to the back room and looked through the small window to see Michael and Maria making out on the table.

Liz smiled and went up to her room. She locked the door behind her and took out her strip of pictures of she and Max. She stared at them and sighed loudly.

"What am I going to do about you?" She touched Max's face in the picture.

"Liz!" The familiar whispering sound came from her balcony and she got up to go see. Max stood at the bottom of her balcony and as soon as he saw her, he made his way up.

"I've got a surprise for you." Liz looked at him confused and he grabbed her jacket thrown on the chair and took her hand to drag her along.

"Where are we going?" Liz felt herself get excited like a child, and ran behind Max to his blue convertible.

"It's a surprise." Max drove off into the night, and excited Liz sitting beside him. She looked around at her surroundings and back at Liz with a pleased, flirtatious smile. He got into a secluded part of town and then eventually, he parked the car and grabbed her hand to walk.

"Max?" "Just follow me." He smiled and held her hand tighter. They began to make their way through some wooded area. Finally they reached a barbed wire fence and a sign. It read : PULHMAN RANCH. Liz looked at Max in surprised glee.

"What are we doing here?" She looked up at Max with her flirtatious look and he looked down at her in a way he hadn't in almost two years. With this desperate, passionate longing. She looked away from his intense stare and began to walk ahead.

"This is...."

"Where we spent the night." Max finished the sentence for her. He remembered the event as if it were yesterday. They had been off looking for clues about his crash. Her flashes got stronger every time they kissed and by now they were about ready to do what they had to just to solve the puzzle. But they found the communication orb first. It was a good thing too. Max never liked the idea of using Liz.

"What is this all about?"

"You." Max walked over to Liz and pointed at something on the rocks. It was a basket. She sat at his will and he sat next to her, pulling the basket in front of them. He pulled out a large cake and sodas. She smiled, feeling like a shy little girl again. Max served them both and then he looked up into the sky. He placed his hand up, and snow began to fall; just light flakes all around them looking like a fairy tale and making the area light. They ate with the beams of the car lights and the snow and Liz felt this strange urge.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing. Nothing... just how great this all is. Why'd you do it?" Max put down his piece of cake and looked seriously at Liz. She smiled widely and lowered her eyes.

"Liz... this is my statement of love." Liz's small body began to slightly shake and Max couldn't tell if she was crying or laughing.

"You told me to prove it and that's what I'm doing." Max started to sound uncertain as Liz put her head in her hands and began to loudly break down laughing.

"What is soooo funny?" He was very confused at this point and Liz looked back up at him, her eyes watery from her uncontrollable laughing. She got closer to Max, until she was face to face with him, and she softly picked a piece of the chocolate cake off of his nose. He made a slightly childish face, realizing now how ridiculous he must have looked declaring his love with a piece of chocolate cake on his nose. Liz put the small piece in her own mouth.

"Hmmm... chocolate cake and hot sauce. Interesting." She smiled and Max just stared at the woman he had loved for so long. Why? He'd never know. There was just so much. She was smart, funny, sweet, beautiful, compassionate, understanding, loving, strong. She was so familiar. She was his heart. With these realizations, Max leaned in and kissed Liz. He placed his hand out towards the car and the radio turned on.

Come to me now...
Lay your hands over me
Even if it's a lie
Say it will be all right
And I shall believe
Broken in two
And I know you're on to me
That I only come home
When so I'm so all alone
And I do believe
That not everything is gonna be the way you think it oughta be
It seems like everytime I try to make it right it all comes down on me
Please say honestly you won't give up on me And I shall believe...

Liz listened and felt her heart drop. It was their song. Everything that happened just had to remind her that it wasn't meant to be. But she couldn't understand how two people who loved each other so much, were not allowed to be together.

"Dance with me Liz." The statement made her look up into the smiling eyes of Max. No. She could not dance with him. Future Max had danced with her and then he disappeared. But this was reality, and Max would not disappear. She held out her hand and they slowly danced to their wedding song.

"I love you Eliza." He whispered softly into her ear and touched her cheek softly, wiping away the snowflakes still falling.

"I love you too Zan." Max stared at Liz wondering if she'd heard what she had just said. Then he saw it; their wedding. The same scene he'd seen in Vegas of them kissing and then one of them dancing in the middle of a crowded floor in their wedding clothes, laughing and feeling like they were the only two alive in the world. The visions made him kiss her. Almost like he felt he had no control. Like he had to touch her or he'd lose it. Like she needed to be his. And once he started kissing her, he didn't stop.

"Oh my God!" Liz shot up and saw the sun coming up over the horizon. She had dreamed with Larek. He had come to her. He requested a meeting, that morning, right after dawn, in front of the Crashdown. He had said the decision couldn't wait. She looked over at Max and felt her heart bubble over with love... and regret. What if she never came back? She softly kissed his lips and whispered to him. "I love you. No matter what." She got up, got dressed and ran off. Shortly after she left, Max woke up alone.

Liz called a taxi from her cell phone and was just arriving in front of the Crashdown. It was barely 6 o'clock in the morning, and Roswell was eerily quiet. Larek stood against the glass, waiting for her.

Max was driving, exceeding the speed limit, hoping to catch up with Liz. Why had she left? Was she angry? Sad? Confused? He stepped on the pedal just thinking about the consequences of what happened the night before. "God don't I ever learn my lessons?"

"Have you decided?" Larek looked at the messy Liz, hair pulled loosely back, face pink still looking rosy with the morning.

"Yes."

Max finally reached the city, as he looked around for Liz who was nowhere in sight. He thought quickly. She'd have to be at the Crashdown.

"What will it be?" Larek stood up straight, his nerves now twitching in his stomach, trying to hide his eagerness.

"I'll do it. I'll go back with you."

Max was only a block away. There was no one on the roads. He felt like something was wrong. He felt it in his stomach. Something was very wrong.

"Ok. Let's go." Larek began to walk towards the back of the Crashdown and Liz followed. Max drove up to the front and parked with a screech. Larek held out his hand and a warp opened exposing the stars and the open universe. Liz was scared like never before. She looked down at her necklace, wrapped her hand around it and closed her eyes. She raised it up to her lips and kissed it.

"I'll find your son Max, and bring him to you. Then finally, we can be together." Max went towards the back to see if he could sneak in and saw both Larek and Liz standing by the warp.

"After you." Liz smiled with unstable certainty. She stepped forward and all she heard was Max screaming her name as she looked back to see him running towards her, then she was swept into the strength of the warp.

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.