Fanfic - Max/Liz
"For Then, For Now, Forever"
Part 10
by Selena Santiago
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell or any of it's characters, however I love borrowing them whenever I come up with some insane ideas to write about! OH, and any songs are copyright of the respective owner.
Summary: While rummaging through one of Grandma Claudia's old boxes Liz finds a beautiful necklace. She finds herself being haunted with memories that are not her own. Could this necklace be the key to Max's past? Or is it the key to his future? Takes place mainly in the happenings of this season, but goes back and forth between events.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: I'd love feedback. Positive or otherwise... and let me know what I can do to improve or if you just liked it! Thanks!
"They're gone. I can't believe it. Now what?" Larek paced back and forth in the chemistry lab. Serena worked slowly, trying to gather what she could to make the quartz work.

"Look, I'm only human. I have no special gifts. All I can help with is the science aspect. But you... you can send them to Earth as different people. Give them a new life but the same essence. Make them aware of what happened, but not completely in their memory." Larek looked at Serena amazed. She really surprised him.

"All these years I've known you..."

"Not the time Larek." Serena smiled kindly and he smiled back. She was right. They were quickly running out of time. He began to write out a blueprint of what he wanted for the royal family. Serena looked over to see, and then she got an idea.

"What about Eliza?"

"What about Eliza?"

"Well, aren't you going to send her too?" Serena looked appalled at Larek's insensitivity.

"Serena she isn't part of the royal court."

"She is Zan's true love. The person he is destined to be with. They were engaged for God's sake! He won't be happy with Ava... he never has been."

"I can't send her with them. We can't take the chance that their meeting will destroy his chances of coming back."

"If she doesn't go, he'll never come back. He'll have nothing to come back for. Don't you get it? They're connected. He needs her." At this point Serena was begging so passionately that Larek could not say no. He couldn't argue that she was wrong either, because in a way, she made perfect sense.

"Fine...fine we'll send her. But she needs to be a human Serena. She wasn't born on Antar."

"I know that." Serena's eyes were sparkling with the thoughts.

"And we need to send them to different places." Serena opened her mouth to protest but he placed a finger to her mouth and shushed her.

"If they are meant to be as you say... they'll find each other." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The snow was falling lightly on the ground making the scene look like a new, happier place. Max looked around and winced at the sight he had avoided for several months now. The big, bold print on the side of the building stared back at him. ROSWELL PLANETARIUM. He quietly walked in and found Liz by the large telescope.

"Hey." He tried to open up conversation but Liz was silent. In fact, she didn't even look back to acknowledge him.

"Maria told me you'd be here." He stepped closer to Liz and heard a sniffle, then another. He stopped, and worried, he tried to speak to her again.

"Look, why don't we leave here. We'll go out to eat or something. Then we can talk."

Max looked back over his shoulder and felt dizzy. He could still see Tess... feel Tess. He had just been so angry at Liz. He'd felt so stressed and deserted. Not even Isabel, his own sister, understood him. But he was wrong. He didn't love Tess, not like Liz. And he knew that she forgave him... but forgetting was much more difficult. Very difficult, in fact.

"So I was right." Liz finally managed to choke out some words, but they were so thick, Max wondered if he'd understood. He snapped out of his thoughts and turned startled, right into Liz's face.

"About what?" He gazed down at her and saw her red eyes and pink nose. She was cold and had been crying. Not a good combination for any woman.

"This was it." She looked over to the corner of the room then back at Max. She took off her necklace and placed it in Max's hands. "I can't have this. It doesn't belong to me." Max held the necklace very interested in what Liz had to say.

"Who does it belong to?" He had to admit he was kind of amused.

"Your soul mate. Your one and only... blah, blah, blah and all that other superior King crap." Liz wiped her eyes and looked away from Max.

"You sound like Maria." He smiled at Liz, hoping to soften her a bit.

"Why? Because I'm honest?"

"No... more paranoid." Liz shot Max a look he'd never seen before.

"Paranoid? No. Barely. I think I fell in love with a boy and then he gets kidnapped by the FBI. Ok, fine. He declares his love, and that same day, I lose him. To what? Destiny, with blonde hair and blue eyes. He conceives a child. Where does that leave me Max?"

"Liz I've told you..."

"You tell me a lot of things Max! It's easy to say I love you. Just three little words. After that first time in that truck. I believed you then. But when you say it now... do you even mean it?"

"Is that what you think?"

"What should I think? Now this stupid necklace is giving me flashes of some Eliza girl you loved on Antar. I want to believe that it's me. But how impossible would that be? I mean, you can't have three women in your life. I'm dropping out of that race Max. I just can't win."

"But I do love you...."

"Is that what you said to Tess?" Max's eyes looked up sadly and she almost felt as if she could feel his own pain.

"That hurt...."

"It was over there, wasn't it?" She pointed to the corner Max now loathed.

"Liz I'm over that."

"Well good Max, 'cause I'm not." Liz started to walk out and Max stood speechless. Liz had never flipped on him like that before. He stood stunned, then sadly turned to face Liz's back.

"What can I do to change your mind? So you know, that I do truly love you?" Max's voice sent Liz back to the end of sophomore year when she left him at the pod chamber. Things were so different now. In another place and time, they'd be married and dancing to "I Shall Believe" in some place outside Arizona. Instead, they were confused teens with a criminal record.

"Prove it. Find a way to prove it and earn my trust again." Liz had turned to face Max and he'd been shocked at the emotion in her eyes.

"Fine. But please... keep this." Max walked up to Liz and put the necklace in her hand and closed it over it.

"I'll see you Max." She kissed him softly and walked out. She was very confused. He needed to figure out those flashes so she could be in peace with herself... and him. He'd prove somehow that she was in fact Eliza. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz walked over the front of the Crashdown and went to lock it. When a pair of blue eyes pushed her in and closed the door.

"Brody?! Where've you been?"

"Liz... I'm Larek." Liz's eyes grew wide and she looked into Larek's blue eyes.

"Uh, what are you doing here?" Liz grabbed the half heart around her neck nervously. This was not normal.

"You found it." Larek reached out to touch it but drew back.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure." Liz put down two chairs and they sat across from each other at the table.

"Liz, there's a lot you don't know. But you're more than you pretend to be." Larek sat, deep in thought, his forehead wrinkled up as if he were putting together exactly what he'd say.

"Zan was a very young leader. He was very resentful because of his father's death and to put it quite frankly, when you left, you ripped out his heart."

"Larek, I... we don't even belong together."

"He used to talk about you constantly. How he knew you'd write to him. How he knew something was wrong but couldn't help you. He was convinced that he felt your sadness, because you were connected. I'd never seen anything like it before." Liz looked up troubled.

"You mean Eliza... I am not Eliza." Larek smiled at the old memories. Liz tried to hide it, but felt like smiling too. She didn't believe any of it. None of it was possible. But even if it wasn't, at least she was curious what things she could learn.

"Do you remember when you first kissed?" His blue eyes were sparkling now.

"Yea... on my porch after the heat wave..."

"No, I mean the very first time."

"No." Liz held on to the necklace on her neck and was sent as in a flash to a starry, dark night.

~FLASH~

"How goes it your majesty?" Larek smiled and fixed Zan's suit. So far, the party was going great. Everyone was there. Well, almost everyone.

"Where is she?" Zan paced around the punch bowl nervously.

"The party just started."

"I know, I know. Why am I so nervous?"

"Because it's your first date." Thirteen year old Zan looked up sarcastically.

"It's not a date! I just asked her to come watch the stars after the party...." Just as he was finishing his sentence, he felt his heart skip. He didn't know why it happened every time he saw her. She walked in, her long gown and beautiful brown hair glistening in the light of Antar's three moons. She walked up to him smiling and he tried to look composed.

"Sorry I'm late. Transportation trouble. Our ship did this whole 'own mentality' thing." She waved at Larek who saw the tension lift off Zan's shoulders and the previous anger melt from his eyes.

"Come on, let's go outside. I can't stand this place."

"You sound more and more like Rath everyday." She smiled at his sour statement and he took off his black cape and laid it as a blanket. They both lied down with the comfort of recognition. He loved watching stars with her. She was so smart and knew so much it was never boring. Lonnie was interested in stars too. But they rarely talked.

"Oh... it's bright tonight." Liz gasped sounding like a small child. "You see that one? That star is the only star this far out visible from Earth. We call it the North star." She pointed up to the star and leaned in to talk over the dim music from inside.

"I think of you whenever I see it." She lowered her gaze shyly and looked to her right, away from Zan's piercing eyes.

"It's our star." It was so simple but heartfelt.

"What?"

"It's ours. That way no matter where we are, or what we're doing, we can remember... us." She laughed at the comment goodheartedly and nudged him.

"Oh, I see. Suddenly you can own the stars." She looked over, glaring at his strong jaw line now becoming stubby with hair.

"Eliza, I'm king of Antar. I can do and own whatever I want."

"I see. When did you become brave and almighty?"

"I'm not all that brave. There are things I'm sure I couldn't do, things I want to, but just can't because of fear."

"Really? Name one." She stared into his eyes, and in a sudden movement, they were face to face, staring profoundly into each other's souls.

"I... I really can't."

"Come on! Take chances! Be bold!" Eliza's big brown eyes were large with mockery.

"Eliza!" Zan raised his finger to her lips and shushed her. Slowly he moved in, and nervously but passionately kissed her.

~REALITY~

"I remember...." Liz sat in shock, amazed at the power and clarity of everything.

"I knew you would." Larek smiled. He had accomplished his first mission. Getting her to believe.

"Larek, what are you doing here?" He looked at her and his statement was serious.

"There is something very important that we need to discuss. It's about Max's son." Liz looked at him confused.

"What do I have to do with that?"

"You have to help Max get his son back. And you two have to believe in the power of your unity, or it will never work."

"I'm sorry I don't follow."

"Your destiny Liz... it's with Max. You are Eliza, his one and only true love. But you cannot fulfill your purpose until you get his son back."

"Get his son back?" Liz looked at Larek in shock. She could not believe he was even suggesting it.

"Max is known all over Antar. Tess is queen there. His son is being trained to rule as Kivar does. We can't let that happen. It's time for peace on our planet. And the rest of the planets deserve peace too. Max would be murdered immediately. But you... you can save the world and win his love." Larek tried to make it sound as heroic as possible. It was not an easy thing he was asking her to do.

"Wouldn't they kill me too?"

"Half of the people don't know you exist. Most of them believe the story of the downfall of the royal family is a myth. That it wasn't some big love story. But it was. Both yours and Vilandra's."

"But Max told me... it won't work." Liz looked down and placed her hand on her forehead frustrated. "Max came from the future. He told me things. Our relationship would ruin this world. I can't be a part of something destructive Larek. Oh God. What am I supposed to say?" Larek reached over and held her hands in his.

"You don't have to decide now. Think about it. I'll be back in three days. You can decide what you're going to do then. Goodnight, Eliza." Liz looked up, deep thoughts filling her eyes. As he walked out, Liz sat quietly, before she was frightened by the sound of the doorbell.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.