FanFic - Max/Liz
"Anachronism"
Part 5
by Kes
Disclaimer: I do not own, no lawsuits please.
Summary: (Tess Free Zone) Genndy has a secret bigger than the secret that Max, Isabel and Michael keep.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: We are not asked to be brought into this world. Those of us born with the weight of the world on our backs often never belong to anything or feel at home any where; like living anachronisms, but in our own time. According to Cambridge Dictionaries Online, the definition for anachronism is "a person, thing or idea which exists out of its time in history, especially one which happened or existed later than the period being shown, discussed, etc." With living anachronisms like myself in mind, I wrote this story while thinking of the song, "This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)" by the Talking Heads. Lyrics to "This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)" are at the end of Anachronism.
"Who are you?" Max questioned with a whine in his voice in Genndy's direction.

Alex wanted to say, "Max, want some cheese with that whine," but he was too upset and everything was way too intense for jokes, anyway.

Still cowered into Michael like a cold, homeless, scared kitten, Genndy replied with a timid whisper, "I am...Genndy (name said like an STD)." She mocked Claudine's pronunciation of her name.

Michael curved his hand into a fist and aligned it with Genndy's face, "Wrong!" That's going to cost you the ability to make one vowel sound. Which one would you miss the most, A-E-I-O-U or sometimey Y?"

"Okay, if I hear one more reference to 'Wheel of Fortune'..." Alex protested.

Liz cried into Max's shoulder, "I'm so sorry, Max."

"No way are you taking the blame for...that. I'm the one from another planet, the one with powers. I'm sure it's all my fault. I'm so sorry, Liz." Max joined Liz and cried into her shoulder.

"Just hit her, Michael!" Maria boiled with emotion. Her dried tears made her face feel as tight as the strain of betrayal, denial and hopelessness that tightened her chest.

Isabel found a rock on the ground and focused on it. She pretended the rock was a table scratch in the Crashdown cafe.

Upon the sight of Max and Liz, Alex squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head insistently left and right with his lips sucked in a straight line over his mouth. He tried to hold in dammed tears that defied his will anyway, and flowed from his shut eyes.

"I'm from the past...the distant past," Genndy tried to compose herself but her voice still fluttered.

Michael's fist glowed with power and fury, "So what...answer Max's question or pick a vowel to never pronounce again, before I pick a vowel for you!" He threatened through his teeth with his jaw clenched.

"Claudine is my...mother (said flatly)," Genndy confessed.

Wanting to still hit her, instead Michael pushed Genndy away from him. Then he dropped his offensive and sat Indian style with his right hand planted over his eyes and wept.

Maria finally freed Liz's hand, trudged over and lovingly embraced Michael. In her arms, he wept harder and louder. Maria peered sympathetically over at Genndy who looked like she was born with the weight of the world on her back.

Michael's raw emotion snagged Isabel from her adopted rock. She wailed uncontrollably until Alex calmed her in his compassionate arms.

Genndy spoke like she had rehearsed her words. "I was born in the present, this is the past. There is no future because Claudine permanently closed time upon my birth." She fell silent for a minute. "The present is rotting right now. People never heal or age, plants/animals never grow, and food is never replenished. All day every day, the time does not change and the day does not change. It is always my birthday...the exact time I was born on the exact day I was born."

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.