FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Stitch in Time - Revised"
Part 39
by Lynda
Disclaimer: Dear Ms. Metz and Mr. Katims, can Max and the others come to my house to play? I'll try to have them back in time for dinner. Thanks, loon.
Summary: AU Fic. No spoilers. Max had thought just being an alien would fulfil the 'weirdness quotient' for his whole life, but now he had to cope with the concept of aliens from the future. And not just 'good' aliens from the future. There was a whole organization of 'bad' aliens from the future and he, Isabel and Michael had been recruited to help stop them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to Addison, my first fan.
Max caught the edge of her emotions and just that small exposure made him catch his breath. He'd felt alone growing up as an Al'Centran among humans, even though he had Isabel and Michael. Liz had just found out she was very likely unique.

He sent out the warmth of his love to counter the chill and continued to pour his affection and acceptance of her unique self into the link. He knew it wasn't dignified and this wasn't the proper place, but he pulled his mate into his lap and added the warmth of his arms to his efforts to fight off that chill her soul was suffering.

Max had had about enough. "Are you finished, doctor?" He wanted to get Liz back to the room among people who loved her; people who accepted her and valued her as a person, not as a scientific oddity. He stood up, Liz still in his arms. "We'll be going now." His expression and aura left no room for argument.

When he reached the corridor Liz said, "Let me down, Max. I'm a grown woman and able to walk on my own." She had her shields powered up and he could see that Cleopatra had won the struggle.

"Walk with me, Liz. We won't go back to the room for a while." He led her toward the small gym where he and Dave worked out. He knew it would be empty and he used his powers to seal the door to give them privacy.

Max turned her toward him and lifted her face to his, trying to see through those dark eyes he loved into the depths of her wounded soul. "You aren't thinking that your heritage will affect my love for you, are you, duckie?" He called her that deliberately, knowing that was just what she was thinking.

Her doubt didn't offend him, he knew she'd had too many shocks lately to be thinking like her normal logical self. The strength that he so admired would get her through this. And this time she wouldn't have to do it alone. He would be there beside her, behind her, wherever she needed and they would get through this together.

"Oh, Max." Liz gave a ragged sob and flung herself into his waiting arms like she was coming home. She accepted the warmth and love that flowed out from him, needing no more words. His embrace said it all.

Max initiated a connection between them and their growing link as mates allowed it to be a complete two-way connection. Her shields were no longer an obstacle; they were in her mind. Max was able to connect through the link their hearts shared.

He welcomed her into the warmth of his heart and was moved to tears when she was able to open herself completely for the first time. This timeless communion between the two lovers healed both of their hearts of any loneliness or sense of isolation that still scarred them.

**Will you stay with me forever, sweetling? Will you always fill that empty space in my heart? Will you marry me?** Max's 'pathed voice was gentle and loving.

**I think I just did.**

Gradually the connection ended, but the link between Max and his mate stayed strong. Liz looked at him and gave him a joyful kiss. "Love you, Max."

"I'd like to love you more thoroughly, duckie, but not on a cold and dirty gym floor. You're still not recovered from all that's happened." This was neither the time nor the place for their loving. But he returned her kiss with interest, then he placed his hand over her womb and smiled at her.

She knew where his thoughts were because hers were there with his. "So how would you feel about being a daddy sometime, Max?"

Max grinned happily and gave up being responsible. He got to his feet and threw Liz over his shoulder. "You haven't had your shower yet, have you, you stinky woman." Max carried her into the shower and stood her back on her feet, but didn't release her from his embrace. Liz reached up and cupped his face with both hands, her love clearly displayed in her face and aura.

Liz finally did get her shower and Max took it with her, reveling in this new intimacy. He used his powers to dry her hair and took advantage of the abundance of soft warm towels to make a nest for them on the floor. Then he did his best to start that baby they both wanted.

After their loving Max used his powers to alter some sweats to fit Liz's tiny frame so she would have clean clothes. He looked down at her, his adoration for her shining on his face. Liz reached up to brush the hair off his forehead and opened their link further, just because she could. She felt so complete when she was with Max.

Max was leaning down to kiss her when his stomach announced it was time for lunch. Liz got the giggles and bent down to kiss his noisy stomach. "Let's go gather our family..."

Max continued for her, "…and have a nice normal meal with nice normal conversation."

After lunch, Liz and Max stopped by Gregory's cabin as he requested. He welcomed them into the living area and Liz stopped in her tracks. Displayed proudly on the wall was the nagging quilt! It was faded and tattered in places, but she recognized the quilt that had nagged her so unmercifully to finish it.

Stunned, she walked over and turned back the corner, not surprised to see her odd duck signature. Smugly, the quilt bragged of its child. Liz listened to it patiently, proud of its accomplishments. When it was finished, she patted it affectionately and turned around, wonderment and questions all over her face.

Gregory smiled at her expression. "Would you like to sit down and I'll tell you the story about how that quilt got in my family?"

Mystified, Max and Liz sat on the couch together, their hands linked like their souls.

"Once upon a time…" Gregory began his story the traditional way, a gleam of mischief in his eyes. Max hoped his face didn't show his astonishment at this display of humor. He hadn't even considered that Gregory had a sense of humor.

"Once upon a time, almost ninety years ago a young orphan child was in the middle of a crisis of faith. She was ten years old, past the prime adoption years and was facing years of foster care instead of a permanent family. She decided to run away and live on her own. But she was too young to survive on the streets and a friendly police officer rescued her from a very bad situation. She was cold and dirty and scared.

"Taking pity on the shivering child, the friendly police officer went to the trunk of his cruiser and took out a quilt. There were other quilts in there, provided by an organization called, for some reason, Project Linus. But this quilt was the perfect one for this little girl.

"Sitting beside the scared little girl he began to tell a story of the quilt that talked. This quilt never quit talking. Every time he opened his trunk it would demand, "Have you found my child yet?" It never quit nagging the police officer!

"But today it was happy. It had found its child. The police officer gently wrapped the quilt around the little girl and she smiled bravely at him. At that moment the police officer's heart was won. He pulled strings and called in favors and that very day he took the little girl home to his wife.

"The quilt stayed with her as she grew up, offering warmth and comfort through life's normal trials. She grew up, married and had a daughter. This daughter grew up and had a son who went on a great adventure. And on the night before he went on this adventure, his mother gave him the quilt to provide comfort and support when he was far away."

Liz's face was wet with tears. Gregory said gently, "Thank you for helping my grandmother find her family."

Part 38 | Index | Part 40
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.