FanFic - Other
"Who Do You Love?"
Part 10
by Michael Sim
Disclaimer: The characters and settings in this story are the property of Regency Television, Jason Katims Productions and the Warner Brothers Corporation. All use is for the sole purpose of fictional storytelling.
Summary: This is a sequel to the fanfiction story "The Truth of It All." Max and Isabel react against each other after learning of Isabel's past treachery. Maria and Michael are forced into a tense situation with Sean while Tess and Liz's relationship grows.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I did this in a different style from my other stories just to try something new. It's definitely a tougher format in which to write and much longer.
All Max could think about was Liz and Tess. What was she doing at the Liz's place? And why did Liz put priority on Tess and not me?! Max knew that he was being selfish and possessive since Liz was not his girlfriend anymore, maybe never again. But Max could never shake the feelings he had for Liz, no matter how buried they were in his subconscious. He could have gone in circles in his mind all night if not for the rapping on his window.

Max: What is it Michael?

Max turns around and instead of Michael, he sees Maria, her face streaked with tears, outside his window. He opens it.

Max: What's wrong Maria?

Maria: It's horrible Max. We made a big mistake today and we need your help.

Max: What did Michael do now?

Maria: It's not his fault. Please, Max, you gotta come right now.

Max could hear the urgency and desperation in Maria's voice. He had not heard that since last year when Valenti and Isabel haunted her to near submission.

Meanwhile, at Michael's apartment, Michael was doing a poor job of trying to nurse his wound. A pool of blood was forming underneath him onto the floor. He was feeling more and more short of breath. Sean's body lay on the floor of the kitchen, hidden from plain view of the front door. The doorknob of that door began to turn. Michael, very wary of any intruders, weakly extended his right arm.

The door opens revealing Maria and Max. Michael practically collapses on the couch.

Maria: Oh Michael.

Maria runs to Michael and holds him in her arms.

Maria: Max, help him!

Michael: How did this happen, Michael?

Michael: (gasping) I got into a fight.

Max: With whom?

Maria: Ask questions later dammit! He's gonna bleed to death!

Max realized the urgency now as Michael's condition continued to deteriorate rapidly right in front of his eyes. Max placed his hands on Michael's wounded side and closed his eyes. He could feel the rush of warm blood underneath his palms. In a matter of moments, Max healed Michael's wounds while seeing in his mind's eye exactly what had happened that day.

Michael: So you know.

Max: Yeah. I don't blame you.

Max had seen and felt what Michael had earlier that day: the fear and pain in Maria, the resentment at Sean, and ultimately, the vengeful anger that led to Sean's death. The three of them now stood around the corpse of Sean.

Maria: I'm so glad you're okay.

Maria hugs Michael like a woman who's just gotten back a lover she had thought lost.

Michael: (to Max) We have to clean up this mess.

Max: Isabel or Tess can do a better job of it than any of us can later. We can't leave any trace of this. Did anyone see you come in with the body?

Michael: No. We went around the back way.

Maria: What are we going to do?

Max: We have to hide the body somewhere where no one will ever find it. Maria, you're going to have to make up a story about Sean leaving town so your mom won't suspect anything. Can you do that?

Maria: Yeah, I think so. I never meant it to go this far.

Michael: None of us did.

Maria: I'm so sorry Michael. I've made a murderer out of you.

Michael: It was self-defense. He was going to hurt you.

Maria begins a new bout of tears, but at least this time, Michael is right there to comfort her.

Michael: So what now?

Max: We're going to hide the body in the pod chamber. No one knows about it except us and if anyone finds it, Sean's body will be the least of our concerns.

In the Jetta, Michael is driving with Maria riding shotgun and Max in the back. They are headed through the desert on the way to the pod chamber. Sean's corpse takes up the trunk. Maria is on the cell phone.

Maria: Yeah, mom. He just up and took off after breakfast this morning. Said he felt like staying in one place was like jail and he had to roam the country or something. Okay, I'll see you later. Bye. (to Michael) I hate lying to my mom.

Michael: You had to do it.

Max: It was a necessary evil. And it worked out that your mom wasn't home when we went to get Sean's stuff.

Max has his hand on a bag that contains all of Sean's few belongings.

Michael: Hey, there's a car by the chamber.

Maria: It's Alex's.

Michael: What's he doing here?

Max: Let's find out.

They pull up next to Alex's car and proceed to unload their unpleasant cargo. Max comes around the other side of Alex's car and notices another set of tire tracks. Michael comes up next to him.

Michael: Tire tracks.

Max: Someone else was here. Let's go.

Max and Michael carry Sean's body, wrapped in a blanket while Maria struggles up the hill with the bag. This is Sean's funeral procession. With little fanfare, they reach the entrance. Max places his hand on one of the rocks and the familiar iridescent glow of the handprint signals their entry. They enter and unceremoniously dump the body in a corner of the chamber. Maria follows, but places the bag gently next to the body.

Maria: What happens when the body begins to decompose?

Max: I'll take care of that.

Max kneels down next to the body and places his hands over it. With some effort he passes them over the whole body. He has used his powers to change Sean's body.

Max: That should keep it from at least smelling up the place.

Michael: We're going to have to explain this to others.

Max: We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

From the other end of the chamber comes a grunt. Max and Michael turn, ready to attack whatever it may be that is lurking in the corner. But Maria sees first...

Maria: Alex! Oh my God!

Maria runs to Alex, who is just now returning to consciousness. Max and Michael are right behind her. Maria kneels on the floor and places Alex's bruised head on her lap.

Maria: What happened, Alex?

Alex: I couldn't stop her.

Max: Who couldn't you stop?

Alex: Isabel. She left with Lonnie.

The other tire tracks! So Lonnie was here and kidnapped Isabel too. Despite all his hard feelings for Isabel, Max could only think to rescue his sister from the clutches of...

Max: Where did Lonnie take Isabel? Did she hurt her?

Alex: Ow!

Alex cringes after a failed attempt to get up.

Alex: The only one to get hurt was me. Isabel wanted to go with Lonnie.

Max: What?! Why would she?

Max realized from that morning exactly why Isabel would leave. Maybe if he wasn't so angry with her. What if he had just let the past be the past? But his dream, his vision wasn't something that he could just let go. Yet, he couldn't let Isabel be brainwashed by the likes of Lonnie. What if she were working with Nicholas?

Max: The granolith! Michael...

Michael: On my way.

Michael quickly disappeared through one of the pod chambers, on his way to check the granolith.

Alex: It's okay. Isabel didn't tell Lonnie about the granolith. Hey what's that thing over there?

Alex pointed to the shroud encasing Sean.

Maria: It's been a long, complicated day. Come on.

As Maria helps Alex up, Max immediately goes to help out. Although it was only a little help, it made Max feel better. Any little thing would help, he thought. He didn't want to lose another person as he had just lost Isabel, Liz, and Tess, all in one day.

THE END

Part 9 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.