FanFic - Other
"The Year 2020"
Part 1
by Ali
Disclaimer: Unless they're up for sale.....no, sadly. I only own Annette, Victoria, Evans, and V.D.
Summary: Future fic-after living for almost 2 decades apart, the gang returns to Roswell with a mission for their children to fulfill.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I love feedback!
The incredibly long stretch limo pulled up to the front of the tall skyscraper. The driver had barely put the car in park before he jumped out to open the door for the occupant.

She was a girl about eighteen years of age. Her chin length, dark brown hair was combed perfectly. Sunglasses covered her eyes, but her posture and her clothing gave any passerby the impression of a very wealthy individual. Behind her stepped an unusually large man in a black suit, dark sunglasses, and a radio piece in his ear.

She walked into the door of the tall building and was greeted by an elegant lobby. A man from CSN approached her. “Miss Guerin!” He called anxiously. “We were wondering if you’d like to comment on your father’s stocks this term?” He approached her quickly, almost knocking her down. Immediately, the man in the black suit grabbed the shoulder of the reporter and nudged him backwards. The young woman smiled apologetically at the reporter, and as soon as she had gotten past the building security, she stepped into the elevator, whipped off her glasses, and sighed. The man in the suit kept on his glasses, folded his hands at the front, stood in a wide stance and stared straight ahead.

The elevator stopped. She walked out into the lobby for the 67th floor. She made a series of turns until she stopped at a door at the end of a hall. She nodded at her bodyguard, and stepped inside. He stood in front of the door in his normal position. Her father was on the phone. Her mother was already in his office, reading a magazine and snickering occasionally when Michael began to lose patience.

He saw his daughter come in. “One more minute” He mouthed. She nodded, then sat down lightly in a chair and crossed her legs. She looked over at her mother and smiled.

Five more minutes, and her father was off the phone. “Are we off to lunch then?” asked Michael. He looked over at his wife, Maria. “We have an announcement to make, one that affects you, Annette.

Annette was growing bored. Her father’s announcements weren’t normally all that interesting.

“Where did you make reservations for?” Maria asked, slowly rising from her chair, and grabbing her pocketbook.

“That cute little French café you adore so much,” Michael said half-heartedly. Maria shot him a sympathetic look. ‘It’s going to be alright,’ she sent mentally to Michael. He sent her a look that clearly said he didn’t believe her.

It took all Annette’s tact not to beg to be told right that instant. It was eating up her parents inside, she could tell. However, she knew her parents. He would refuse to tell her until he had her in a setting where he knew she wouldn’t make a scene that would cause him any alarm. Not that she was famous for doing that.

Her mother must have read her mind. “For God’s sake, Michael,” she said sighing. “We’re making her more nervous then we really have to, don’t you think? Just tell her!” He sat down slowly at his desk. “Annette,” he said slowly. “We’re moving to Roswell.”

Her heart stopped. “New Mexico?” she borderline shrieked. Her mind raced. She was going to have to leave all the life she’d ever known, New York, for some small tourist trap.

“I know this may come as a shock to you,” her mother started gently. “But you have to understand that things are happening that are beyond our control.”

Michael got up and walked to his office window overlooking New York City. “Annette,” he said, turning towards her and staring at her. “You know your mother and I love you more than anything else in the world, and we want you to be happy. I promised myself the day you were born that you’d never grow up knowing what Roswell, New Mexico was like,” he paused, locked eyes with Maria for a second, as if sharing some hidden memory, and continued. “However, things have gotten out of control. Things that only certain people can help with,” he sent her a pointed glare. She sighed. Of course he meant alien things. “I’m not who you think I am,” Annette responded, keeping her eyes cold. “I’m not the princess of whoever our people are. I’m not the savior, the one, the one who cries upon the end of the world then smiles upon the rebirth of our people or whatever other lies you’ve gotten into your head. I am a seventeen year old girl who wants to be normal! I’ve worked my entire life to get where I am now. I’m the most adored and honored girl of the Upper East Side, yet now you inform me that I’m being relocated to some middle of no where tourist trap.”

“Annette,” Michael said warningly. He really didn’t like that cool tone in which she was speaking. She was dangerous when she was like that.

“Victoria,” she said suddenly. Victoria had been her best friend forever. Her parents had just moved her from New York to Roswell. “Is that why Aunt Tess and Uncle Kyle moved down there? What’s going on daddy?” She said the last part as firmly as she could manage. Something odd was occurring.

“We’ll discuss this later,” Michael said firmly, stepping forward, taking his wife’s arm, then leading his daughter out the door. The conversation was definitely not over.

The family's bodyguards jumped into action the second Michael and Maria came through the door with Annette trailing behind. Their stoic expressions never changed. You could tell them that their children had just died, and not an eye would blink. You could tell them that you were upgrading him to the vice president of your company, and he would just nod. They kept their entire facial expressions completely void. When they wore their dark, mirrored sunglasses, they were almost frightening.

They made it down the stairs, and fought their way through the crowds of reporters. When they reached their limo, Michael breathed a sigh of relief. “Who knew…” he laughed suddenly. “That a misguided adolescent such as myself would make such wise investment choices.”

Maria smiled. “I was the one who told you to buy that condom stock in the first place, don’t take all the credit.” They shared a secret smile, then turned their attention towards the icy exterior their daughter had created.

“Annette?” her father asked, studying her face.

“Yes father,” she replied coolly.

“You appear to be angry,” he said, beginning to dislike her tone.

“I assure you, I’m not at all angry,” she said, pulling out of her purse a makeup compact.

He raised an eyebrow at her, but didn’t push her. He knew that when his daughter got angry, she shut everyone in her surroundings out.

Annette was burning. And why shouldn’t she be? She had worked her entire life to create the image she had. No girl could ever come close to being as perfect as she appeared. Every adult she had encountered had absolutely fallen in love with her. She had a guaranteed spot at any college she applied to. She was the valedictorian for her class. Her teachers adored her. She was daddy’s little girl, Mom’s little angel. She lived in upper Manhattan, and attended one of the best private schools in the world.

Yet, they were still punishing her. They were prepared to move her all the way across the country to some middle of no where town for absolutely no apparent reason. What was she going to do? Run away? Where would she go? She had spent her entire life being the girl that everyone envied and now she had to beg them for a place to stay? Over her dead body!

A feeling of dread overwhelmed her. The sad part is, she was dreading what her friends would think when they found out she was being moved to Roswell. They’d think she had lost all her money, that the stock market had crashed, that her daddy was out of a job. Relax, she told herself. I’ll just tell them I’m studying in France or something. She sighed again to herself, and turned her attention towards her dad who was watching her intently.

“I’d rather not discuss it,” she hissed as her father opened her mouth to speak. She knew he’d try to say something to make her feel better. She didn’t want to feel better. She wanted to be angry.

She uncrossed her legs, then crossed them again, running her perfectly manicured hands along the side of her designer outfit. Did they even have Gucci in Roswell? She strongly doubted it. No small desert town could possibly know exactly what it took to look like her.

“Miss Guerin?” asked the driver. It was then she realized that they were at her building. She stepped out of the car daintily, and then in very rapid steps, made her way up to her room.

No such luck. Her father stopped her in the entertaining room. “Sit down,” he ordered. She knew that if she refused him she would appear to be affected. That would not do. She gracefully eased back onto a couch. “Yes?” she questioned, her tone still cool and casual.

Her father beckoned her mother into the room, and dismissed the maids. He then shut the door.

“I suppose you're wondering why we plan on moving you to Roswell New Mexico,” he said, walking towards a large window and staring out of it.

“The question had crossed my mind,” replied Annette, trying to keep the sarcasm out of her voice.

Her father looked defeated. Her mother placed an arm on his shoulder for comfort. “You may not understand,” she said for her husband. “But, you’ll eventually come to accept it.”

“You’ve always known you were different, Annette. Ever since you were little, you were constantly talking about how you felt like you were destined for great things.”

“No,” Annette said slowly, narrowing her frosty blue eyes and looking in the directions of her parents who were now talking in riddles. “You always told me I was destined for bigger and better things. I thought I had achieved them, but apparantly not.”

“You know what I mean,” her mother said, this time narrowing her exotic eyes.

“Oh, so this is an alien thing,” Annette shot back, almost mockingly. “Forgive me.”

“You are the middle of something huge,” her father snapped at her. “If you would be so kind as to drop this act that you're portraying, your mother and I would greatly appreciate it.”

Annette jumped back, hurt at the fact her father had snapped at her. It’s not that she didn’t deserve it, he just had never done it before.

She was quick not to let emotion cross her face. She just froze her eyes over, and then met her father’s intense stare face on. “Would you care to elaborate on the cryptic messages which you’ve been feeding me for the last ten minutes?” she said, as cold as possible. She hated to be cold to her father, but anger would show that he was conquering her. No one ever conquered her.

Her father’s gaze drifted around the room. He sighed, then made his way over to a chair and thoughtlessly dropped into it. “Annette,” he said softly. “You aren’t who you appear to be.”

“What do you mean,” she said slowly, her eyes narrowing. What were they talking about?

Her mother walked away from the window and delicately sat herself on the arm of the chair her father was sitting on. “You’re different, Annette.”

“Yes, I know, I’m an Alien. I’ve known that since the day I was born.”

“Yes, but you don’t know exactly how you're different from Victoria, and the others.”

Normally, on mention of her best friend’s name, her throat would tense up. Yet, she was too intrigued to even think about the fact that her best friend no longer lived in New York.

Her mother paused, and her father continued. “Take Victoria for example. Tess, an alien, and Kyle, a human, had a child. The result was a half-alien half human mix. That was the same for Liz and Max, and Alex and Isabel. Their children are half-alien, half human.”

“Mom’s a hybrid,” Annette said slowly, letting the truth sink in. “That means I’m more alien then the rest?”

Her father leaned forward to look her directly in the eyes. “You’re much more then that, Annette,” he said. “You’re their Queen, their leader. It’s your destiny.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Annette, almost breathlessly. This conversation was getting very odd.

“You’re the one, Annette,” her mother said. “The one who holds the power. The one who will see the setting of the final sun, and smile at the rebirth of a race. You hold the power against evil, you hold the key to the good. You are both, and you walk a thin line between the two.”

“I make my own destiny,” Annette said briskly. “My destiny is to graduate top of my class, go to the best Ivy League in the nation, marry some famous, rich, handsome man, and spend the rest of my life raising children and attending formal dinners. I’m a queen in my own mind, not in anyone else’s.”

Michael’s eyes darkened at the haughtiness of his daughter’s defense. Maria placed a hand on his arm, which instantly relaxed him.

“Is this why you're moving me?” Annette said, not keeping the anger out of her voice. “Because I’m the Queen of Asses? Great! Now I understand! I’m expected to leave my home, the place I’ve built my entire life, hopes, and fantasies around to go to some desert town and live a life of ordering around some half-witted fool that I’m supposed to call my cousin, actually try to go shopping with Victoria, and debate with Uncle Alex’s and Aunt Isabel’s “son” ,and I use the term loosely for actually crediting that specimen as an actual species and not bacteria is far more complimentary then reality will ever provide for him. Yes, I completely understand!!!” She scowled. “Is this why Aunt Tess moved Victoria?”

“Yes, Tess has always been much more accepting of the alien ways. She felt something come,” Her father chose to ignore her outburst. Getting angry was not going to help his case any.

“And when am I expected to leave?” Annette said, returning to her freezing tone.

“As soon as possible,” her mother replied. Annette felt her blood run cold. “I can’t believe this is happening,” she said, slowly rising to her feet, and making her way to the door. “I won’t take any dinner tonight,” she said, keeping her back turned to her parents. She slowly exited the room.

Michael sighed, and bowed his head down, as if he was in deep meditation. Maria rubbed the back of his neck. “It’s going to be okay,” she whispered softly.

Michael’s eyes darkened. “I really wish I could believe you,” he said, unable to hide the guilt.

“you and I both know it has to be done,” Maria said, sighing and standing.

“I know,” he said into his hands. “But it’s at the sacrifice of our daughter’s happiness,” He stood, and joined his wife at the picture window. “We both promised ourselves never to go back there. We both said we wanted to move on with our lives, as humans, and not get Annette involved with the others. Tess felt the same way but she suddenly changed her views.”

“The way Max was talking, this is inevitable,” Maria said again. She said it for her benefit as much as Michael’s. She deeply hated the fact that her daughter would have to move to that town. She also hated the fact that she would have to move back there again. Max and Liz had been the only couple to stay there. Alex and Isabel had moved as quickly as possible to L.A. after they had gotten married. Tess and Kyle had moved to New York after Michael and Maria. They wanted their kids to grow up with each other. It was a wonderful plan. Annette Isabella and Victoria Anne had been born on the same day, and been inseparable ever since then. Annette had taken it really hard when her cousin, and her “other family” as Tess had so often called it, moved away. Tess hadn’t been really explanatory, just told them that Isabel and Alex were moving down as well, and that Max said something big was going to be happening soon.

“That doesn’t mean I have to like it,” Michael replied, hugging Maria.

“I know,” Maria said, closing her eyes.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.