FanFic - Other
"The Way It Was"
Part 2
by Chris Uecke
Disclaimer: All of these characters are the property of Jason Katims and Warner Bothers studios. No Copyright infringements are intended. And I would just like to thanks them for developing such a good show that inspires me Try and fill in the blanks.
Summary: This is what took place the week leading up to when Future Max went back in time to stop Liz and his past self from falling in love and chasing Tess away.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
Inside the UFO Center, Kyle is surprised to see Isabell lying down in one of the cots. He tries to take in the surroundings while carrying in the many crates and cans. He looks around and finds Liz carrying in one of the last cans and decides to try and figure out what is going on. “Liz.” He whispers to her.

“Yeah.” Liz answers.

“What happened to Isabel?”

“She was hit by some new weapon yesterday. We still don’t know what it was.”

“Is she going to be alright? I’ve never seen her look this bad.”

“I wish I new. They managed to heal her, but it seems like whatever they hit her with is still attacking her body. It doesn’t look good.” Liz tries to explain.

“What happened?”

“It was during an attack yesterday. We had just managed to stop them and while trying to make our escape one of them managed to survive long enough to get a shot off, which hit Isabell, before Max could subdue him.” Liz starts to cringe at the memory of the event.

“Bet Max is taking this pretty hard.”

“Harder than you can imagine.” Liz just points over to the chair next to Isabell’s cot, where Max is sitting holding her hand and talking softly to her. Everyone is trying to give him the room he needs, and are busying themselves with the new supplies.

Max is still running he events of the other day through his mind. He keeps trying to tell himself that it didn’t happen, but then he opens his eyes and sees Isabell lying there in front of him, and he knows it’s all his fault. He should have never let down his guard. He is supposed to be the leader, the one with all the answers, but around every turn he finds himself lacking in knowledge and making the wrong decisions.

Isabell opens he eyes to see Max sitting over her. She can see it in his eyes that he is blaming himself for this. “Max…” She says hoarsely.

“Yes, Isabell. Can I get you anything?”

“Max, you’ve got to stop blaming yourself. We knew something like this would happen eventually.”

“Yeah, but why did it have to happen to you? Why not me?”

“Because you are needed here more than I am.”

“That’s not true. We are a team, a family. I don’t think I can make it without you.”

“You have to Max. For them, for yourself, for our people…” She coughs as she finishes this and max reaches over to wipe her mouth with a towel. Noticing that there is blood on it, as he pulls it away. “Now promise me that you will keep fighting until we win.”

“I promise.” He says it only to make her feel better, because deep down he is doubting if there is anything that he can do to stop this. The loss of his family, the loss of Roswell, and soon to be the loss of Isabell. Can he continue to fight knowing that around every corner, there is someone out there looking to get him and the rest of them. With all of this running through his mind he doesn’t even notice Liz walk up behind him, until she stands next to him and pulls his head to her side. He reaches his arm around her and hugs her tight to him as he cries into her shirt.

Liz just lets him cry, knowing that it is best to let him get it out. “Isabell?”

“Yes Liz?” Liz can here the strain in her voice as Isabell says this.

“Is there anything that you need?”

“Not right now.”

“Well Alex is preparing you something to eat. It should help keep your strength up.”

“You should waste the food…We all know it’s just a matter of time.”

“And until that time, you will eat the food we give you.” Liz is surprises at how that came out. She didn’t mean to be so harsh with her, but knows that it is probably the only way to get here to agree.

“Liz, you shouldn’t…”

Before she can finish her statement, Max answers Isabell back. “You will eat and that’s and order.”

“Now, think Max.” She coughs a little. “When was the last time I followed one of your orders” She laughs a little mixed with coughs.

“Well, then let’s make this a first.” He tries to answer back with as much humor as he can muster, which isn’t much, but it is enough to bring a smile to Isabell’s face.

At that moment Alex walks over to them carrying a bowl of soup in his hands and when Max and Liz see him, Max stands up grabbing Liz’s hand in his own. “Now enjoy. You hear me?”

“Eye, Eye sir.” Isabell laughs which brings on some more coughs, but the smile never leaves her face.

Max and Liz turn to Join Michael, Kyle, and Valenti of on the other end of the room.

Alex just watches them go, as he sits down in the chair that Max was just in. He pulls up a crate next to them and places the bowl of stew on top of the crate. He grabs another pillow from one of the other cots and he puts it behind Isabell, as he helps her to prop herself up so she can eat. Alex can feel the pain run through his body as each move makes Isabell cringe a little more. Once she is finally in somewhat of a lying back position, Alex looks to her. “Is that better?”

“About as good as it’s going to get.” She jokes.

Alex brings a spoonful of the stew to Isabell’s mouth. And she opens her mouth and takes it in. “Too hot?” Alex asks.

“Actually could use some more Tabasco.” She jokes trying to lighten Alex’s mood, and is surprised when Alex reaches behind him and brings up a large bottle of Tabasco Sauce. They both just giggle a little at the way he can read her.

“Just say when.” He starts pouring some into the stew.

“That should be enough.” She stops him after he adds a pretty good amount to the stew and he begins stirring it in. “By the way, you didn’t have to make me stew, and for that matter how did you make stew?”

“Actually it’s some canned stew. I just heated it up. Valenti and Kyle brought it back with the rest of the supplies. And let me tell you how happy it wasn’t more Spam.” He jokes with her.

“I’ll agree with you on that one.”

Alex continues to feed Isabell as the chat and joke with each other.

Michael is going through one of the crates when Max and Liz walk up to join him. Michael has been lying some of the stuff out on the tables as Valenti and Kyle are putting some of the other supplies on shelves in the back of the room. The majority of the stuff unloaded so far has been food supplies. Max breaks open the crate nearest him, and reaches in to pull out some rifles and several hand guns. He looks over them for a second and then stacks them on the table nearest him and then reaches back into the crate pulling out box after box of ammunition. He stacks them on the table next to the guns as he unloads them.

“So, where did you get all of this?” Max asks Valenti.

“In a small town about 2 days ride from here. People are clearing out further and further from this place every day.” Valenti responds.

“Can you blame them? The only thing here is death and destruction.”

“It seems that since the military has stopped trying to do anything, that they feel safest just trying to stay out of our way.”

“Well, they have battles of their own to fight, can’t expect them to come here and help the lot of us.”

“Max, it isn’t that far off. Since the Skins have come here searching for them, not letting anything stand in their way, they have been attacking anyone who has tried to offer support in any way. Which has been helping us out, since they haven’t been in that strong of number here because of that.”

“Maybe we should just give ourselves up.” Max says with sorrow in his voice.

“Max, you know you can’t do that. You have a destiny to your people that you have to fulfill.” Liz pleads with him.

“Yeah, but at what cost. You world is dying. We don’t even know where our world is, then Tess, and now Isabell. What are we really fighting for?” Max says while holding his head down.

“Max, I can’t believe you are saying that. We’ve got to fight these people. They have already over run our world and now they are threatening this one. We’ve got to take a stand and stop them at any cost.” Michael chimes in angrily.

“He’s right Max, you can’t give up now, or it’s all over.” Valenti joins Michael in his argument. “If the first settlers of the US had felt that way, we never would have become a free country. No we are fighting for the freedom of an entire race.”

“Yeah, I know you are right, but I just don’t want to see anyone else die for my battle.”

“Our battle, Max. Remember, you are not in this alone.” Michael snaps.

“Max we are all here of out own choice. We know the consequences, and are all willing to go down fighting, but none of us are willing to give up.” Liz joins in.

“Yeah!” They all join in.

***********************************************************************

Later that night, Max is sitting in the chair in front of the computer terminal. He looks back at the cots to see everyone sleeping. He had elected to take first watch even though there were a lot of arguments against it. He finally won out, by reminding them that he wouldn’t be able to get any sleep anyway, so he might as well take first watch. He began working at the computer to bring up the tape of the other day’s events. He still isn’t sure what happened, and he has been running the scene over and over again in his head. He knows that he should have never let down his guard, but the thing that scares him more, was what he did to that Skin. He never before was able to use his powers like Michael for destructive purposes. And that scares him. Never before has he felt such anger and hatred towards anyone or anything. He just lashed out. Is he becoming unpredictable, uncontrollable? If he is capable of such power, but only when angered, what does that mean? What would happen if he became angry with someone he loved? Would he be able to control himself?

At that moment a hand comes softly down on his shoulder, causing him to jump a little and when he turns he sees Liz standing behind him. “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.”

“I guess I’m just a little jumpy. That’s all.” Max responds.

“It’s to be expected. I think we all are a little jumpy right now. It is what keeps us alive.”

“What are you doing up? You should be resting like the others.”

“Like you I couldn’t sleep either. Seeing you like this is worrying me, Max.” She pulls over a chair and sits next to him as she says this. “A lot has been going on lately, and you seem to be shutting yourself out. Let me in, Max. Let me try and help.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Max, I know you better than that. We haven’t spent all this time together for me not to know you.”

“I just keep wondering if I’m a good leader. I keep questioning every decision I’ve made. Like the world would be better off if I didn’t exist.”

“Now you stop that thinking right now. It’s just crazy talk.”

“Yeah, but I was the one who scared Tess away. Who know what would have happened if we all here. We might have been able to stop this before it began.” Max remembers the day that He found out that Tess left, and he didn ’t even think twice about it at the time. He was kind of happy at that. Not having to hear any more about this Destiny and he could go on living his life with the woman he loves.

“Max, I think I had a little to do with that.”

“No, no. it was all my fault. I was the one who pushed her aside. You at least tried to keep her in the circle, but it was my cold tactics that eventually caused her to leave.”

“Yeah, but that is in the past. It’s not like we can do anything about it. What is done, is done. We just need to go on living our lives.”

“ I just keep thinking about the message from my mother. Saying that we were selected for a reason. All for our own specific purpose. I keep wondering if we had all managed to stay together, could we have stopped all of this long ago?”

“Max, You’ve go to stop this. It’s not like I have a Time Machine in my back pocket, so continually pounding on yourself about this is getting you know where.”

“I guess you are right. But I just can’t help thinking…” As max finishes saying this, Liz pulls his head to her shoulder and strokes his hair. It’s been a long time since they have been able to spend any time alone together. They got married three years back, and spent a beautiful time together with all their friends in Las Vegas, but shortly after their return all of this began to happen. Liz, wishes that they had more time to enjoy their time alone together, but wouldn’t trade the safety of a normal life for not knowing her true love. She would sacrifice anything for Max, and is willing to do anything for his love.

“Alright Love birds.” Liz jumps at the sound of Michael’s voice coming from behind them. “Your turn to crash. So, get going already.”

Liz and Max slowly get up and Michael takes the chair that Max was sitting in. He moves up to the terminal and begins checking out the various cameras, ad Max an Liz make their way back to the cots. Liz sits down on one propping a pillow against the wall before laying back against it, and Max lies down on the cot next to her. Liz can tell that Max is still thinking about everything. She just throws her arm across his chest and gives him a kiss before lying back to get some rest. “Max, you should try to get some rest too.”

“I will.” Is all Max replies.

Liz knowing that she is probably fighting a losing battle on that part, rolls against him throwing the cover over them both before going to sleep.

Max, just looks at her as she sleeps, and as he sits there, he is reminded of all the good times that they have had together. He begins to realize just how tired he is, and before he knows it, he has fallen asleep.

Michael looks over to them to see them finally asleep, and is happy that they managed to get to sleep. He has tried to be a pillar or strength in the recent days knowing that he couldn’t let Max know just how worried he was, because Max had enough on his mind. He knows Max is taking all of this personally, and even though they are all in this together, Max continues to take responsibility for every thing that happens. Which is a sign of a great leader, even if Max would disagree. And now with Isabell being hurt, he has been even worse on himself. At times he feels like Max is right about the futility of the fight, but he is not willing to give up. He will go down fighting before that happened. They have all lost a lot in this war, and will lose much more before it is over.

Looking over at the group, he sees Valenti and Kyle asleep on one end of the room, while Alex has fallen asleep sitting next to Isabell, who has herself finally fallen asleep. He looks over to see that Max and Liz are asleep in each other’s arms, which brings up the painful memories of Maria’s Death about 6 months ago. He remembers the pain he felt then, and it has served to harden him up emotionally. Since that day he has refused to allow emotions to get in his way. In war you can’t let emotions take over. It makes you weak. He will always remember the good times they had together, but he remembers the promise that he made to her. He promised her that he would keep on fighting, if not for her, for all of them. And it has been that promise that has kept him going all this time.

He turns back to the computer terminal with that thought still strong in his head, and begins looking over the different camera angles. He does this for hours, just watching to see if there is anything that he can see, which there is nothing, and if it the fact that he sees nothing that worries him more. What are they doing out there? What do they have planned for them? He knows deep down that they haven’t given up. Now just what do they have in store for them next.

He watches the sun begin to rises over the desert landscape, and begins to think Oh well, another day in the jungle.

***********************************************************************

It wasn’t long after dawn, before everyone began to rise. Kyle and Valenti were the first to wake in the morning, followed by Alex. He let Isabell get some more rest, knowing very well that she didn’t get too much peaceful sleep throughout the night. He knows this because every time that she moved he would instantly awaken to see if there was anything wrong. Although he hopes for the best, from the look of things she will only get worse. Without knowing what is happening to her, there is nothing they can do for her. Even with their healing abilities they were only able to slow down the inevitable. So, he does the only thing he can think of, which is to try and make her as comfortable as possible.

When Alex rose to see that Max was actually sleeping, he was very happy to see that. He knows that Max continues to blames himself for Isabell’s injury and impending death. He knows that Max will never forgive himself, and if he can’t keep his strength and will to fight up, then they are all as good as dead. It’s all just a matter of time. Alex decides to make something for Isabell to eat, as well as himself. His stomach grumbles to remind him that in all of his worrying yesterday, he forgot to eat himself.

Liz is the next to wake. She opens her eyes to find Max sleeping entwined in her arms. This image brings back a rush of good memories. She just lays there staring at Max, not wanting to wake him. Knowing that he needs the rest as much as anyone. She just begins to follow the curves of his strong jaw line, the strands of his long hair flowing over the side of his face, the deep inset eyes, and strong nose line. She just takes in a large smell of Max, a smell that she will forever have embedded in her mind. She lets of a small sigh with a large smile, while thinking of all the great times they have had together.

“What you smiling about?” Max asks, startling Liz.

“I…I didn’t know you were awake. How long have you been up?”

“About a minute now. You know I always know when you are looking at me.”

“And just how long were you planning on acting asleep?”

“As long as needed.”

“As long as needed? And just how long was that going to be?”

“Long enough to do this.” He reaches over and pulls her to him for a long passionate kiss.

“Ok guys, enough of that .” Michael’s voice comes from behind them.

“Never a moment’s peace.” Max says beginning to laugh, and Liz joins in.

They get up and go over to join Michael, stopping on the way long enough for Max to check in on Isabell. He see that she is still sleeping, and not wanting to wake her, he just moves some stray strands of hair off of her face. They join the others who are getting ready to eat breakfast, and then try to make plans for the day.

“What no Spam?” Max jokes.

“We’ve got some if you want.” Alex responds.

“I was kidding.” Max answers.

“So, was I. Geez, by now I thought you would have recognized sarcasm.” They all laugh at this one, as Alex brings some of the food over to Isabell.

“So, anything new on the front?” Queries Max.

“Nope, and that is what worries me the most. I haven’t seen any movement whatsoever out there. Makes me wonder what they are up to. I was about to suggest…” Michael starts to explain.

“That we go find out?” Max asks.

“Yeah, I know that you are going to disagree with me on this, but I…”

“I think we should do it.” Max cuts him off before he can finish.

It isn’t the fact that Max cut him off that surprised him the most, he is used to that, but the fact that Max agreed with him is what startles him the most. Max hardly ever agrees with him, especially if it has to do with fighting. Max has always been the more passive one, and being willing to go on the offensive, has a number of them around the table, taken back a little.

“So, what’s the big plan?” Max asks.

“Um, I’m still trying to work out the details, but with all of your help I think we can come up with a good one.”

“Okay, then it is settled. We will work on a plan after breakfast, because I’m starving. Michael? Can you pass the Tabasco?” Max gets ready to eat, when Michael pass him the Tabasco sauce and he splashes some on his food before eating. They all go to eating without too much more conversation.

Alex arrives at Isabell’s bedside, and places the bowl down on the crate next to it. He is just about to try and wake Isabell when her eyes open and she looks over at him.

“Not Stew again?” Isabell tries to joke, but her voice is very shallow now, and Alex has to strain to hear her .

“Nope not stew, some soup and bread. Sorry no 3 star breakfast for you today.” He tries to joke with her so that she doesn’t see how worried he is about her. “Ok, now open wide, cause here comes the flying saucer.”

Isabell just gives him one of her famous scowls at this, but eventually she complies.

Alex continues to feed her the meal, noticing how much of a strain it is just to swallow, and seeing this only reminds him more of how short of a time they have left together. Alex just wishes that there was more that he could do to make her more comfortable and to take away the pain. It goes like this throughout the remainder of her meal. Alex can hear that the conversations have stopped at the other’s table, and to tell the truth, he couldn’t even remember if he had heard any of it from over here. His focus has been entirely on Isabell. He just looks deeply at her as he helps her finish her food, from time to time wiping away any lose soup from her chin, and smiling at her the entire time.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.