FanFic - Other
"The Ties That Bind"
Part 3
by Neko
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters. I have no affiliation with the WB Television network or the author, Melinda Metz.
Summary: Set just after "Sexual Healing." It's a quiet weekend for the teens as they plan to celebrate Michael's emancipation. Meanwhile, Robin Daniels-McCallister and her team have arrived in Roswell. Their mission: to solve a mystery that has haunted her for the last fifteen years. Feed back is welcome.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Robin, Andrew, Stone and Emerald are my characters.
Robin found herself standing inside a cave. There was an eerie glow before her. As she began walking towards it as she shivered. “Cold,” she said. The chilling air was almost unbearable. In the glow ahead she could see movement. Slowly she crept towards the light. Peering around the large rock before her she could see four pods nestled beneath an outcropping of rock.

It was his birth. His pod had opened and he was free. But she looked closer. Three of them were free, but the fourth had failed to open. Robin moved to look at the pods, could she glean any information from this. Where they were? Anything? Try as she might, the cave began to get dark and the image faded, as did the memory.

There were stars above her now and sand beneath her feet. She could see two of the children: a blonde-haired girl and a dark-haired boy. They were walking hand in hand. Then in front of them he appeared perched on a rock with an “Okay here I am. Deal with me” look about him. His dusty brown hair was a wild mass atop his head.

Suddenly there were headlights coming towards them. Robin could feel his fear. The other boy extended his hand, a beckoning look on his face, but the fear was too great. Suddenly he was gone.

“No,” Robin moaned as a wave of sorrow washed over her. “Don’t run. Stay!” She fell to her knees in the soft sand and cried. She wanted to comfort him and tell him he wasn’t alone. Yet the boy was gone and she was the one left all alone in the middle of a desert night. Robin covered her face with her hands as she wept for him.

“Guerin!” the voice was loud and brutal. It startled Robin and she turned quickly to see where she was.

The schoolyard was warm and the sun was bright, yet Robin could sense the fear in the air. She squinted in the brightness of the noonday sun. She could see them across the yard, three boys standing over another. Michael. His name was Michael.

“Think you’re a tough guy huh?” one of the boys said, pushing Michael back, but Michael stood his ground.

“Defending you girlfriend?” another teased in a sing song voice.

It was then that Robin noticed the blonde-haired girl standing behind him with her dress torn. She was striking and regal looking even for a ten-year-old. Robin was certain that this was the same little girl she had seen before.

“You hurt Isabel!” Michael accused.

“Awe, is Izzy Lizzy gonna cry?” the third boy teased.

“Don’t call her that,” Michael demanded, launching himself at the closest of the bullies.

Michael managed to land the first punch, but the older boys were too big and strong for him. Other kids gathered around and began chanting, “Fight! Fight! Fight!”

It was only a moment, but it seemed to take forever before a teacher arrived and pulled the boys apart. “Stop this.” She yanked them apart. “Who started this?” she demanded.

One of the older boys pointed to a very disheveled Michael. “He did!”

Wiping the blood from beneath his nose, Michael looked angrily at the boys. “Did not! They were picking…”

“I don’t want to hear it Michael,” the teacher told him sternly.

“But Mrs. Meyers…” he protested.

“Not another word.”

“They’re lying,” Michael told her emphatically.

“That’s it, Michael. Principal’s office. Now!”

Robin could see his fear, feel his disappointment and his anger. He turned and ran away from the gathered crowd.

“Michael! Michael come back here!” the teacher called after him, but he didn’t stop. He just kept running.

Robin ached for him. She could feel how frightened and alone he felt. He was just trying to defend his friend, but the teacher wouldn’t listen. She only saw a troublemaker. Robin shook her head sadly. If only the teacher had listened to Michael. If only… A wave of dizziness hit Robin hard. She reached out to grab a hold of something for balance. As Robin opened her eyes she found that she was standing in a small house trailer. This was Michael’s home. If you could call the space filled with delapated furniture a home.

Robin examined the small room she now stood in: the recliner in front of the TV, a small couch and beer cans stacked all about. Then she heard him. “Mickey?” The gruff angry voice made her skin crawl. Hank, Michael’s foster father slammed the door closed behind him as he stomped into the living room. “Mickey!” he called again. After a quick scan of the living room, he stomped towards the back of the trailer. “Where are you? You stupid little bastard! When I get my hands on you…”

The fear was overwhelming. Robin could barely breath. Where was Michael hiding? He had to be close by. Then she spotted him in the corner at the end of the couch. He was trying to make himself as small as possible so Hank wouldn’t see him.

Hank came stomping back into the kitchen. “Boy, you better get your butt out here right now or the whoppin’ you’re gonna get is gonna be ten time worse than the one I’ll give you now!”

Robin saw Michael stand up slowly. “No,” she implored him. “Stay down.” Her fear for him churned inside of her. She wanted to change this, to protect him somehow, but this was only a memory, something that had happened years ago. This was his history. She couldn’t change it.

“There you are, you little coward!” Hank snapped when he spotted him. “Get over here,” he growled. The boy scrambled to comply. Robin could feel his terror. “Your little playground antics almost got me fired today.” Hank purposely stood so he towered over the boy. “What were you thinking boy?”

Michael didn’t answer. He stood there ramrod stiff, looking straight ahead. He wasn’t going to give into Hank’s terrorizing tactics. Robin could feel the warm tears as they rolled down her cheeks, but she refused to wipe them away. He was trying so hard to be strong. Her heart was breaking.

“I asked you a question, boy.” Then in a flash Hank swung and struck Michael across the side of his head. Robin gasped, startled that the man, his “father,” had actually struck him.

Michael flinched and brought his hands up to protect himself, but Hank knocked them out of the way as he swung at Michael from the other side.

“Teacher said you were fightin’. Is that what you want, boy? A fight?” Michael could not answer; he was busy trying to dodge Hank’s slaps.

“Stand still, you little bastard!” He grabbed hold of Michael’s hair. “Stand there and take it like a man!”

Michael did as Hank demanded. He stood there like a marble statue without flinching as Hank continued to beat him. Except for the quivering of his lip and the tears that slid down his cheeks, Michael showed no outward response to Hank’s form of punishment.

“No!” Robin screamed. “Stop hitting him. Stop!” She could feel the power building inside of her. She would destroy this man before she’d let him touch Michael again. She raised her arms, the power glowing in the palms of her hands. Then with a focused thought she launched the ball of energy comprised of her fear and anger at the dream image of Hank. He would never hurt Michael again. She’d kill him first.

* * *

The afternoon had passed slowly as they each took turns holding vigil over Robin. Andrew had watched his wife as she struggled against an unseen foe, her sleep so agitated that Stone was afraid that she might do herself harm. He’d tried to make a connection with her earlier in the afternoon, but he was unable to. She had forced him out of her mind.

He’d stood at the window and watched as the dark clouds in the west mushroomed into thunderheads. He somehow felt that the raging storm outside was mirroring the turmoil that Robin was going through.

Suddenly he felt the prickling on the back of his neck like all of his hair was standing on end. Someone was gathering a great deal of power. He looked at his companions. They felt it too. “Stone! Andrew! Get over here!” Emerald whispered urgently.

Andrew left the window and went to sit on the bed beside his wife. “What?”

Emerald shook her head. “Something’s wrong.”

“Wrong how?” Stone asked.

“No. Stay down!” The strangled plea escaped Robin’s clenched jaw.

“I wish I knew what she was seeing,” Andrew thought. “Then maybe I could help her. If only she’d let me in.” He looked down at his lovely wife; the tortuous nightmare had control of her as she fought against an unseen enemy.

Suddenly Robin sat up, eyes open wide. She raised her hands. The energy building there was quickly turning from blue to blinding white.

“Damn!” Stone cursed. If she let go of that kind of energy in here she would blow out a wall or worse.

Emerald grabbed her friend’s wrists and placed her glowing hands against her upper chest. “Absorb…” was all she was able to say before Robin screamed.

“No! Stop hitting him! Stop!” Robin released a torrent of energy into her friend. Both men grabbed hold of Emerald and tried to siphon off some of the overloading energy. There was a blinding flash of light and crash of thunder, then silence.

* * *

It had been hard to find Independence Day decorations in February but somehow Isabel had managed. Now all that seemed to be missing were fireworks. Though Mother Nature was supplying some of her own homemade brand. The Storm outside was raged on but the teens inside the Crashdown didn’t seem to notice. Tonight was special. Tonight they were celebrating Michael’s emancipation. Liz had brought her boom box down so they could play CDs instead of the jukebox. Maria’s mom had sent over a cake for her “favorite wrestler” and they had free reign in the diner until midnight. Without even thinking Liz had begun to clean up after them, taking the plates and silverware to the back and putting them in the dishwasher trays. That was where Max found her.

“Liz?” he asked quietly.

“I’ll be right out Max. Just as soon as I put these in.” She slid the tray into the dishwasher and shut the large door.

“I was wondering where you disappeared to, but I didn’t think you were doing the dishes.”

Liz shrugged slightly. “Just a habit I guess.”

“Well come back out. There’s something I want to play for you.” He smiled as he turned and moved back into the diner.

Intrigued by his statement, Liz dried her hands on a nearby towel and followed him. They had cleared some of the tables in the dining room so that they had space to dance, but seated in their favorite booth, Alex was again regaling his captive audience with further stories from the “Circle of Friends” series. He’d been talking about it incessantly since he found out that the author was in town.

“Kale and Damek made it across the desert of fire to the palace only to discover that Kale’s sister Miri was already gone. They had moved her somewhere else for safe keeping. Kale was angry, but Damek was incensed. It was all Kale could do to keep his friend from blowing something up.” Alex looked at Michael. “He has a temper like yours, Michael.”

Michael grunted not impressed by the comparison, but Alex saw Maria smile. He knew she agreed with him.

“So did they find the princess?” Isabel asked.

“Yeah, but it took them another hundred and fifty pages. First they had to go through the Kingdom of the Elveris. That’s where Kale meets Tania. She’s the princess of the Elveris and very powerful herself…”

Michael’s head popped up as Max and Liz came back into the diner. “Hey, where did you disappear to?”

Max frowned. He had only been gone for a few moments. “Nowhere.” He picked up his jacket and walked over to the boom box. He pulled a jewel case from the jacket’s inside pocket then popped the top on the CD player and exchanged discs.

The first notes of “Godsend” by d c talk began as Max turned, took hold of Liz’s hand and led her onto their makeshift dance floor.

Hoping, praying, I’ve been waiting,
Everybody needs somebody to love.

“Max, what is this?” Liz questioned.

Max placed a gentle finger against her lips. “Just listen,” he whispered as they began to sway to the beat of the music.

There’s no question, Straight from heaven,
You’re my angel. I’m so crazy for you.

You’re a Godsend
A blessing from above
You’ve been God-sent to me
You’re the Godsend
I’ve been dreaming of
You’re a Godsend.

Tears began to well in Liz’s eyes. Max smiled as he stared into her beautiful brown eyes and they looked into each other’s souls.

Michael pulled Maria from her seat in the booth. “Come on.” Unceremoniously her pulled her close and they too began to dance.

“You’re so romantic, Guerin.” Maria teased gently as she rested her cheek against his shoulder.

Holding your hand, Touching your face.
I will love you now and always I swear.
I will never forget that first moment we met.
When two worlds collided and I found my best friend.

I was meant for you, you were meant for me.
In this lonely world, we were meant to be in love.

Alex watched his friends dance for a moment longer before he turned to Isabel. She was so beautiful. How had he been so lucky to have her even talk to him let alone be interested in him, but now he just wanted to hold her.

He stood and bowed towards her. “A dance my lady?” He extended a hand towards her.

He wasn’t sure, but it looked like Isabel was blushing as she smiled shyly back. “I would be delighted.” She beamed as she took his hand. Alex led her to the floor and gently placed one hand on her waist as he began to waltz her across the floor.

You’re a Godsend
A blessing from above
You’ve been God-sent to me
You’re the Godsend
I’ve been dreaming of.
You’re a Godsend.

I will never forget the first moment we met When two worlds crashed in and I found my best friend.

Max held Liz close, her body pressed tightly against his. How much time had he wasted thinking that they shouldn’t be together? Who had been hurt by them remaining apart? In truth, all of them, but Liz most of all. He never wanted to hurt her, ever. He loved her completely. Max cupped Liz’s cheek with his hand as he leaned close. Their lips gently brushed against each other. In the next moment his mouth had taken possession of hers. She responded to the urgency of his kisses readily wrapping her arms around his neck and equally taking possession of him. She tasted so good he never wanted to stop kissing her. He could feel the hairs stand up on the back of his neck. It was like the air around them was electric. This had never happened to them before when they kissed. Max pulled away slightly, but the feeling didn’t dissipate, in fact the prickling on the back of his neck became stronger.

Liz could sense the change in him. “What is it?”

Max turned and looked at the other two aliens. He could see by their expressions that Michael and Isabel could feel it as well.

“What is it?” Isabel asked, a touch of fear in her voice.

“It’s like when we use our powers.” Max moved towards them. “Except…”

“Except, its about a thousand times stronger,” she finished for him.

“Nasado!” Michael said smiling. “It’s Nasado.”

“We don’t…” Max’s statement was cut short as lightening struck the grassy median between the Crashdown and the B & B across the street.

The light was blinding, and the sound was deafening. The windows of the Café rattled in their frames. All three of the girls screamed and quickly found someone to hold onto. The lights flickered for a moment but stayed on. Then all was silent.

“That was creepy, Maxwell.” Michael broke the silence as he pulled Maria into a comforting embrace as much to calm his own racing heart as hers.

“Agreed.” Max pulled Liz into a similar hug. Regardless of the thunder and lightening or the bizarre hair-standing-on-end events of tonight, Max was certain of one thing. He loved Liz Parker, and she was his Godsend.

* * *

The light in the room dimmed as the glow from Robin’s hands faded. Her eyes rolled back into her head and she collapsed back onto the bed. Emerald began to fall in the other direction. Stone caught his wife as they fell to the floor. He sat up shaky and more than a little dizzy. Andrew crawled over to them. He, too, looked like he’d been through a storm.

“Is she…” was all he could ask.

Stone was trying to examine his wife for any sign of serious injury beyond the burn marks from the blast evident on her sweater. He took a deep breath trying to clear his own head as he laid his hand over Emerald’s chest. It was hard to take deep breaths with his heart pounding so hard, but he had to make sure she hadn’t been damaged. She had done this once or twice before when they were much younger and before Robin had gained control of her powers. But that was a long time ago and never with this much power.

He had to focus. With Emerald unconscious it was much harder to make a connection. Not impossible just harder. He grimaced as he pushed his way into Emerald’s mind. It was like walking too close to an electric fence and getting zapped thousands of times. Then he felt her close by. He reached out to her and gently wrapped her in the loving embrace of his mind.

“Look at me Emerald!” he commanded. It took her a moment but her green eyes fluttered open and she stared up into his pale blue eyes. “You’re alright. You just need to ground out this energy.”

She nodded weakly as she raised her hand to her forehead. “Granted, I have no first hand experience, but I feel like I’m drunk.”

Andrew sighed in relief as his friends smiled at each other. “Close call,” he said to Stone.

“Too close,” Stone agreed as he slowly climbed to his feet and pulled his wife up too. “I better get her out of here so she can walk off and ground out some of this energy.”

Emerald was hanging on her husband’s arm like a sorority girl on a drinking binge. “Walking may not be enough,” she giggled.

Stone sighed. “Then we’ll figure it out.” He started towards the door.

“Aw, baby cakes,” she pouted. “I can think of so many other things that I want to do besides walkin’.” She amorously stroked his arm and ran her hand along his chest.

Stone started to flush. “We’ll be back!” he said quickly, pulling her out the door.

Andrew smiled. Stone would have his hands full for quite a while until the energy Emerald had absorbed dissipated. He hoped his friend could last that long. Stretching out beside his wife on the bed, Andrew pulled Robin into his arms and held her close. He, too, had been filled with her energy. He kissed her cheek and her hair as he snuggled next to her, slowly feeding the energy back to her.

* * *

Robin felt a warmth envelop her, like being wrapped in a homemade quilt and set before a fire. She was comforted by the warmth as she continued to watch the images that were Michael’s life. There was an adorable blonde girl. Not the same one as on the playground. She was different. Her eyes sparkled when she smiled. Michael liked her, but he wasn’t going to admit that to anyone. They were only eleven. Instead he would tease her unmercifully. Even stuck up for her a time or two, not that she ever knew about it.

Images swirled around her and Robin found herself in the Crashdown Cafe. Max the young man from the UFO center, was kneeling over the dark-haired waitress that had helped them that afternoon. The girl had been shot. Max was healing her. Michael was anxious and scared. What if they were discovered? Michael had urged Max to leave and they both exited quickly. They had to protect themselves.

She felt Michael’s anger flair and watched his wicked sense of revege after some of the jocks at school had beaten up Max.

Then there was “that Maria girl.” Robin found herself laughing. The girl he’d liked in fifth grade was now a slender blonde beauty. She watched as Michael tried to deny his feelings for this girl.

There was his and Maria’s road trip and their stop at the Sultan’s Inn. It was in that nooky motel that Michael had fallen in love with Maria. They had commiserated that there had to be something better out there for them than Roswell.

Robin was amazed by the strength of Michael’s emotions. From his and Maria’s first kiss in the Crashdown to their switching Alex’s blood for Max’s at the hospital. Then just for fun, their searching of an FBI agent’s hotel room. Yet over it all she could sense Michael’s feeling for Maria changing.

She watched as Michael found Maria at the Crashdown alone, his desire for her building as he watched her through the windows. Michael didn’t want to touch her but he couldn’t stop himself. She could feel the searing heat of Maria’s skin as Michael’s hands caressed her.

Again Robin felt his anger as Michael went to the Indian reservation only to feel it turn to fear as he succumbed to an unknown illness. She could sense his pride for the wood shop project he had done for Maria. Then his astonishment when she told him that she didn’t turn it in for her grade, she was keeping it.

Robin saw the glowing image of an alien symbol he and Isabel had burned on the ground outside the library. She felt his frustration as they searched for another alien, tried to send him a signal, but received no response.

Robin found herself standing in the small house trailer again. Michael was arguing with Hank. Instantly she began to feel her own anger grow. Then Max and Isabel were there and, drunk as he was, Hank tried to hit on Isabel. Both Max and Michael defended her, but she dispatched him herself as she threw the drink he offered back in his face. Angrily Hank drew his rifle and leveled it at the three of them. She felt a build-up of energy and realized that is was Michael. He was undisciplined and his aim uncontrolled, but it had the desired effect. It scared Hank. Robin watched as Hank stumbled backwards.

“You’re a freak. I always knew it. You’re a freak!” he screamed.

She watched Michael leave with Max and Isabel, but he didn’t stay with them long. Realizing that he couldn’t go back, he turned and ran off into the rain. Robin’s heart sank. Yes, thankfully, he was out of that horrible place. But where would he go now?

The images changed again, and Robin was standing inside a bedroom. A girl’s bedroom. She was fairly certain whose when Maria walked in and confirmed her suspicions. She saw Maria sit at her window staring out into the rainy night.

It was then that Robin began to sense Michael’s fear and to understand just how alone in this world he actually felt. She watched as Maria told him “no” over and over again before she opened her window and helped him inside.

Maria took Michael in. She never pressed Michael for an answer as to why he was there. She simply took care of him. Maria soothed him as he wept and held him through the night. Maria loved Michael with such an ease that it terrified him.

These recent images faded again and Robin found herself in a richly furnished office. Michael was sitting next to Mr. Evans as the judge at the head of the long table looked solemnly at him and asked. “And does the minor, Michael Guerin, pledge to take charge of his life as an adult from here forward?” Nervously Michael answered him, “I do, your honor.”

Robin smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. He had taken the first step to his own freedom. For that she was grateful. She couldn’t stand the thought of Michael having to spend another moment with Hank. She knew she would never be able to go home and leave him in that situation. She couldn’t. She’d waited so long and finally she’d found him. Loud thunder woke Robin with a start and she sat up in bed. It was dark outside. How long had she slept? Disoriented she climbed from bed, grabbed her robe and walked out of the room.

Andrew was in the bathroom. He heard the door and thought it was strange that Emerald and Stone were back so soon. He had to squelch his panic when he saw the empty bed. Robin was gone.

Grabbing his jacket, he headed downstairs but Robin was nowhere to be found. Reaching the front door, he saw Stone and Emerald running up the steps. They stopped just outside the door to shake the rain from their jackets.

“Did you see Robin?” he asked as opening the door.

“No,” Stone answered, surprised by his friend’s question. “She’s suppose to be in bed.”

“She’s gone?” Emerald asked.

Andrew tried to calm himself. Panicking wouldn’t help anyone. Robin hadn’t been gone that long. She couldn’t have gotten very far. “I was in the bathroom. When I came out she was gone.” Andrew pushed past them to stand on the sidewalk. Under the canopy they began to scan the area for her.

“Where would she go?” Stone asked as he began looking up and down the street.

Emerald spotted her in a flash of lightening. “There.” She pointed across the street towards the Crashdown Café. A lone figure stood between two parked cars.

Andrew ran across the street to his wife. She was soaked to the skin. “Robin?” She didn’t answer him. He slipped off his jacket and gently placed it on her shoulders. “Honey?” She still didn’t acknowledge his presence she just continued to stare into the diner. Andrew finally turned her to face him. “Robin?” He gently lifted her chin to look her in the eyes.

“They look happy don’t they?” she whispered as the rain ran down her face.

“Who?” Andrew looked around confused as Emerald and Stone came up behind them. Robin nodded towards the diner. Andrew turned to see some kids inside. He recognized some of them from earlier that day. “Yeah, they look happy,” he answered, still confused by his wife’s question.

Emerald stepped up next to her friend.” What is it Rob? What do you sense?”

“I always thought I’d know him when I saw him. But I never expected this.” Robin continued to stare into the diner at the teens as they happily joked and horsed around.

Stone moved up behind Robin. “It’s them?”

Robin nodded slightly with a whispered “yes.”

“The kid with the spiky hair?” Andrew asked. “The one that touched you?”

“Michael.” Robin said with a proud smile as tears mixed with the rain already on her cheeks.

“He’s…” Andrew hesitated.

“My brother.” Robin choked out as she began to sob.

Andrew wrapped his wife in an all encompassing embrace. She was freezing. He started to lead her away. “Come on we need to get you warm.”

Stone and Emerald stood there a moment longer watching the teens. Stone reached down taking her hand. Emerald smiled at his touch, the firm strong hands that had protected her, that had loved her.

“Stone, what do we do? It wasn’t supposed to be like this.” He could hear the disappointment in her voice.

Stone shook his head. “I don’t know, love.” He gently pulled her hand, drawing her back towards the hotel. As they walked across the street, Emerald kept looking back over her shoulder at the diner. This all seemed so unreal.

As they reached room number 9 Andrew turned to his friends. “Give us a little bit. I’ll call when she’s ready to talk.”

Both Stone and Emerald looked worried, but they understood that Andrew needed to be alone with Robin for a while.

Stone nodded as he unlocked their room next door. “Let us know when you’re ready,” he said as he stepped inside.

Andrew turned back to his wife. She was beginning to shiver. He needed to warm her up fast. He didn’t even bother using the key. A simple brush of his hand against the lock and a subtle click and the door swung open.

Robin walked through the doorway and over to the window facing the street.

Andrew took his jacket from her shoulders and dropped it on a nearby chair He pulled the comforter from the bed and wrapped it around her. “I’m going to run you a hot shower.” He rubbed her arms for a moment then went into the bathroom.

Robin pulled the comforter tighter about her. With one hand she pushed the curtain aside. The Crashdown Café was across the street. She could see in the windows. They were still there laughing, joking having the time of their lives. She sighed. They were only kids. All this time they had been looking for adults. And now to find them and they’re only children.

“Robin?” Andrew was standing behind her. “Come on honey. Lets get you out of these wet things.”

She turned to Andrew, tears streaming down her cheeks again. “What are we going to do?”

Andrew caught her up in his arms. “I don’t know.” He kissed the top of her head. “I don’t know.” He couldn’t keep the defeated tone out of his voice any longer. They finally had found who they had been looking for all these years, but they hadn’t anticipated this. They were only teens. They weren’t ready to lead a revolution.

Later that evening in Robin and Andrew’s room, Robin sat on the bed wrapped up in the comforter again. Andrew, sitting behind her, his back against the headboard, was gently brushing her hair. Stone and Emerald had pulled chairs over to the bed.

“I touched his hand and looked in his eyes. That’s all it took. It was like I was a giant sponge soaking up all his memories.”

“You’ve never had that happen before, have you?” Emerald asked.

“Flashes, images, yeah. Same as you guys. But this was like plugging in a DVD and watching it from start to finish.” Robin pulled her knees close and wrapped her arms around them. Andrew set her hairbrush down and gently pulled his wife back towards him.

“You’re sure it’s him?” Stone asked.

Robin sighed. “I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life. Michael Guerin is my older brother.” Everyone was silent for a few moments as they contemplated the ramifications of Robin’s statement. The older brother that Robin’s homeworld counterpart had idolized and followed unquestioningly was no longer older. He was barely a man.

Andrew began to braid Robin’s hair. “So that would mean that the other two children found at the same time…”

Robin nodded slightly. “Yes, but one of the girls is missing.”

Emerald shrugged. “The wife or the sister?”

Robin sighed. “I’d have to guess the wife from what I understand of Michael’s memories.”

“You realize that we can’t say anything to them about this,” Stone said quietly. Robin was ready to protest but Stone stopped her. “Think about it. They have to develop, grow and mature the same way we did. When they reach the age of maturity they’ll be told, the same way we were.”

“What if they can’t reach their ship or it was too badly damaged or the government still has it…” Robin implored. Tying off Robin’s braid Andrew again drew his wife back into him trying to ease her anxieties.

“Then we’ll come back and we’ll tell them everything.” Stone said with confidence.

“Well, what about tomorrow?” Robin was defeated as she leaned back into Andrew’s embrace.

“What about it?” Andrew asked. “We do everything just the way it was scheduled. Em does her book signing. You do your manager/agent thing. Stone and I hang about and look like bored husbands.” Andrew hugged her tighter. Robin laughed softly, a sound Andrew loved to hear.

Emerald leaned close to Stone. “You’re not really my bored husband are you?”

Stone smiled wickedly. “No, I just like terrorizing the punks that think they can hit on you.”

“Oh.” Emerald blushed. Stone stood and pulled Emerald to her feet.

“Well, we’re going to be busy tomorrow and it’s been a very long day. I think we all need to get some sleep.” Stone ushered Emerald to the door.

Robin snuggled up closer to her husband. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Emerald answered pulling the door closed.

Andrew turned off the light and climbed into bed beside his wife. As he got comfortable Robin snuggled into his arms, resting her head in the crook of his neck. Andrew began stroking her back.

“I love you,” he whispered, then kissed the top of her head.

Robin sighed, “I love you too.” He could hear the sadness in her voice.

“Robin, talk to me.”

Robin sighed. “I just… this wasn’t what I expected…”

Andrew smiled a little. “None of us expected this.”

“I know. It’s just I’ve spent the last 15 years anxiously waiting to see my brother, waiting for our leader’s call so I can once again stand and fight at my brother’s side. And now…” Andrew could feel her warm tears against his chest.

“Shhhh,” he soothed.

“I just want to know what went wrong.”

Andrew kissed her again. “We’ll find out. We just have to be patient.” Robin sniffed and Andrew hugged his wife closer. “We’ll find out.”

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.