FanFic - Other
"The Journey"
Part 12
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. Never have, never will but would like to.
Summary: After finding out Maria's true identity, the gang deals with their feelings about the new-found knowledge. Could Maria's true identity be a danger to her?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Please email and let me know your thoughts on this fiction. If you can see the possibility of a third part to this fiction, please email me and tell me what you'd like to see in a third part. If you haven't read my first fic, "Secrets", then this fiction will make no sense because it's a sequel. To read my first fic, email me (jamiep@egyptian.net) or visit crashdown.com
"Isabel," Maria whispered across the room. "Are you up?"

Isabel turned over to face Maria. "Yeah, I’m awake."

"Do you think we’ll really find out the truth today? You know, about our father?" Maria asked skeptically. She had a bad feeling about today. Something wasn’t right.

"I think the answers we’ve been looking for will be in Grand Forks." Isabel said, sitting up in the bed. "Why? What’s the matter?" Isabel noticed the look of concern cross Maria’s face.

"It’s just…well, I’ve had this feeling since I woke up that something terrible is going to happen." She sat up in the bed and looked over at Isabel. "I’m scared, Iz. I’ve never felt this way before. It feels like I have no one left."

Isabel crawled out of her bed and sat down next to Maria. "You’ll always have me." She said, resting her head against Maria’s. "I’ll be here no matter what."

"Thanks, Iz." Maria said. "I’ll always be here for you too." She looked around the room, wondering where the guys were.

"Where do you think the guys went? To the cafeteria, maybe?" Maria couldn’t think of any other place they could be.

"Probably." Isabel said, getting up. "Wanna run down there and check?"

"Sure, let’s head down there." Maria said.

She got up out of bed and slipped on a pair of jeans. Isabel and Maria walked out into the hallway and headed towards the cafeteria. As they rounded the corner, they noticed Liz, Michael and Alex walking slowly away from Liz’s room. Alex had an arm around Liz’s shoulder and it looked as if she was crying. Michael looked as if her were upset too.

"Max!" Isabel said in an instant. "I hope nothings wrong with him! Alex, Michael, Liz! Wait!"

But they were too far ahead to hear Isabel. She grabbed Maria’s arm and ran to Max’s room. When she pushed open the door, she was surprised to see Max closing up his suitcase.

"What happened?" Isabel asked. "Are you ok?"

"Do I look hurt?" he asked Isabel. "Nothing, why?"

I saw Liz, Michael and Alex. They looked…upset." Maria said from behind Isabel. "We thought maybe something happened to you."

"Nope, nothing happened." Max said, locking his suitcase. "I guess everyone is down in the Cafeteria so lets go meet there."

"Ok, lead the way." Isabel said as she and Maria followed behind Max.

As they entered the cafeteria, all eyes feel on them. Liz’s eyes burned hatred at Maria. Michael looked as if his heart had been cut piece by piece out of his body while he was still alive. Alex looked as if he’d lost his best friend. Kyle and Tess were seated at a booth on the other side of the cafeteria and managed to look up as the three came into the room.

"Guys, what’s wrong?" Maria asked, seeing the looks.

"Why don’t you tell us, Maria?" Michael said, as cold as he could be.

"What are you talking about?" Maria asked. She had no clue what had gotten into her friends this morning. By the look on Max and Isabel’s face, neither did they.

"You know exactly what he’s talking about, Maria." Liz said angrily.

"What are you…." Maria started.

"They know." Alex interrupted. "We know. We saw you with Max. How could you? Michael? Liz? Don’t they mean anything to you?" Alex put his arm around Liz’s sobbing shoulders.

"With Max?" Maria asked astonished. "I haven’t been with Max."

"Enough!" Michael bellowed. "We saw you and him, kissing back in his room. How could you Maria? I thought I loved you!"

"But she couldn’t…." Isabel started, but was interrupted by Tess.

"It would be like you to defend her. Just because you think she’s your sister doesn’t mean she can’t be trying to destroy us." The words tumbled out of Tess’s mouth like poison.

"I’m going to defend her because she’s been with me all morning." Isabel said, tears coming to her eyes. "We just left the room, together about 10 minutes ago. We picked up Max then. Right Maxwell?"

Max looked at the group. He knew he hadn’t been kissing Maria. But what had everyone seen. "I…I don’t remember. I mean, yes Maria and Isabel just came to my room, but that’s all I can remember."

Tess looked at the group. It was obvious she had to say something before Max convinced them that he hadn’t kissed Maria. "Oh my gosh." She said. "I can’t believe it. She wiped out his memory. I told you she was no good." Tess pointed at Maria. "I say we leave her. She has already destroyed our trust." She said, looking around the group. "and friendship."

"Let’s leave her then." Michael said, standing up. "She’ll do us no good anyway."

The rest of the group got up and headed out to the cars. They all piled into Max’s jeep except for Isabel and Maria.

"Aren’t you coming, Iz?" Max asked.

"I’m not leaving Maria." She replied. She grabbed onto Maria’s hand and wouldn’t let go.

"Go, Isabel. They need you. I’ll just go back to Roswell and…" Maria began.

"No, I’m not leaving you. I promised I’d always be here for you no matter what. I know you weren’t with Max. You’ve been with me all morning. We’ll find a way to prove it. We’ll go into Grand Forks together and do our own searching. I’m not leaving you alone."

Maria looked at Isabel with tears in her eyes. She didn’t understand how Isabel could be so trusting and care so much about her. "Thank you, Iz." She said, pulling her in for a hug. She turned to Max and the rest of the group. "She’s staying with me." She said.

Max looked at his sister. "What happened to you?" He asked, shaking his head.

"I found out I have a sister." Was her only reply.

Max started up the jeep and drove off. They watched as the jeep disappeared into the distance. Isabel put her arm around Maria and steered her back towards their room. "Ready to hit the road?" she asked.

"Ready as I’ll ever be." Maria replied.

"What do you think they are talking about, you know, me and Max." Maria asked.

"I don’t know, but I think Tess is behind it." Isabel said, looking off into the distance. "I’m going to make sure and prove that."

She grabbed Isabel’s arm and spun her around. "Thanks again Isabel. You wouldn’t have had to do that though."

Isabel smiled. Maria would never understand just how much Isabel cared for her. "I know." She said. "But hey, what are sisters for?"

They loaded up the Jetta and set out towards Grand Forks. Together they were going to find out the truth. Was she really Max and Isabel’s sister? Why was their little group falling apart? Were their fathers still alive? And Exactly what was Tess up to? Too many questions remained unanswered. Answers that Isabel and Maria hoped to find today.

Part 11 | Index | Part 13
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.