FanFic - Other
"The Game"
Part 1
by Lauren
Disclaimer: Roswell and all characters associated with the show are property of the WB Network and Melinda Metz. Don't bother to sue me, because I don't have any money anyways. Also, as a side note, I refer to some other stories in The Game such as - Roswell Elementary (usage of Dogface, etc) and Roswell High Series (usage of auras).
Summary: Pre "Crazy"
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: Feedback: is a MUST. I love getting feedback and e-mail! Challenge Info/Summary: This story is answering one of the Challenges by Christina found at: www.geocities.com/emerald_roswell_freak and this is the challenge: 1. M/L, M/M, A/I 2. Max meet Nacerro/Nasedo (however you want to spell it - I'm from AZ and here we roll our R's!) 3. He is forced to go back one year before and see if things would be the same if the shooting hadn't occurred. 4. He has to get the courage to get Liz to go out with him and become intimate without telling her he is an alien. (Intimate doesn't necessarily mean sex, this is any rating) 5. He has to get Michael and Maria together - he does this by locking them together in a room. 6. He has to get Isabel and Alex together, but this is new because they aren't together in the other universe. 7. If he doesn't accomplish this in thirteen days, he has to leave Roswell and go with Nacerro to another place as his slave. 8. The story must be very tense. 9. You have to post it on my board (www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1058889) and anywhere else
Day One - September 16th, 1999

My eyes widened as I realized I was suddenly transported from my bedroom to the outside of the Crashdown Café. Looking down, I was wearing my usual black t-shirt and dark pants, instead of the old t-shirt and boxers I had worn to bed. Confused, I looked to Nasedo, who was standing there with a smirk on his face. "What's going on?"

"Don't you listen, Max?" Nasedo stared at me. "I have transported your soul, your essence, into your body from September 16th, 1999. Which is now.... In fact, I suggest you get movin' lover-boy, because you have 12 days, 23 hours, 58 minutes and 21 seconds complete your three tasks." With a slow turn, Nasedo turned and walked away, leaving me alone in the street.

My heart was pounding in my ears as I realized what was going on. I had 13 days to prove to him that my love with Liz was... forever... eternal.... lasting... Oh my god, what was I going to do? It took me years to act on the fact that I was in love with her... I shook my head and mentally told myself to calm down.

Forcing my wobbly legs to cross the street, I decided to go into the Crashdown to think and to observe the situation. If it is really September 16th, 1999, they should be preparing for the Crashdown Festival, Liz won't really notice me and I should be able to allow myself an hour or two to get my plan straight. After all, I had to win Liz's heart, get Michael and Maria together, and get Izzy and Alex together; this wasn't going to be an easy task. But if it meant that I was proving that the love Liz and I shared was a valid and tangible thing, I would do it.

*************

The theme from Close Encounters jingled slightly as I entered the Crashdown Café and sat down in my usual booth. I couldn't believe that I was reliving my past and this meant if I was reliving my past... I could do it right with Liz, instead of breaking her heart over and over before finally admitting my love for her.

"Can I get you anything?"

Liz's sweet voice snapped me out of my daydreaming. Looking up, I saw her, my beautiful Liz in her Crashdown Café uniform, smiling at me. Oh, you wouldn't believe the urges I had to suppress to simply not pick her up and drag her into the backroom and kiss her senseless. Okay Maxwell, I thought to myself, time to start putting in the charm.

"A cherry coke, please, Liz." I said with a smile. Liz smiled her usual "waiting-on-a-customer" smile and walked back over behind the counter, where I saw her giggling with Maria. I sighed quietly, missing being able to talk to both of them and realizing that I only had 13 days to accomplish so many tasks.

The Close Encounters theme rang out again and I turned to see Kyle Valenti saunter in the Crashdown. Groaning quietly in the booth, I had totally forgot that Liz was going out with Kyle before the shooting. Now, I had to get Liz to focus on me, not Kyle. Kyle walked up to Liz and quietly asked her something. I saw Liz blush and I could feel the anger course through my veins at the thought of Kyle saying something to Liz that would make her blush.

Suddenly, I noticed that Maria saw I was staring at Liz and Kyle. I watched her smile a little and then pull Liz away from Kyle to whisper something. I mentally made a note to give Maria an entire case of Cedar Oil when I got back for at least noticing that I was crazy in love for Liz. Always a quick one, that Maria, I mused as Liz brought over my cherry coke.

"Um. Here you go Max." Liz said as she smiled at me again.

I took a deep breath, "Liz, please sit down for a moment." I asked gesturing to the seat across from me. Liz's eyebrows rose in curiosity, but she sat down anyways. "Ummm... well... I was wondering if you ...." I stammered nervously, trying to think of something "could help me study biology tonight?"

Liz looked surprised. "Max. You're a straight A student... I'm sure you don't need me help you..." She nervously tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ears. "Didn't you ace that quiz yesterday in biology anyways?"

Damn it all to hell, why did I have to be an overachiever? "I guess I did, but I just wanted to prepare for the test next week. Besides, we're starting to study the molecular structure of the human body and I thought you would enjoy it." I quickly answered, not really thinking about what I was saying.

"How did you know I like molecular biology?" Liz asked surprised.

"Uh.. I heard you mention it to your friend Maria, one time..." I took a quick sip of my cherry coke, trying to act casual.

Liz relaxed, "Well, Max how about we meet here at 7:30pm tonight?"

I nodded and replied, "Sounds good to me." Liz smiled and turned around, heading back towards the back of the Crashdown. When she was out of sight, I let my head fall to the table top with a satisfying "thud." Everyone, meet Max Evans, world's biggest idiot. I couldn't believe I mentioned molecular biology, at this point in my non-existent relationship with Liz, I shouldn't know anything about her. I shouldn't know her favorite ice cream flavor, her loyalty to her friends, how she loves getting kissed behind the ears... uh.. never mind. Moving on...

Quickly, I laid down five dollars on the table and scurried out of the Crashdown before I did anything really stupid.

***********

I realized as I walked home from the Crashdown, I only had 13 days to bring all of my best friends together and I was beginning to get really nervous at the complexity of the challenge Nasedo gave me. I was also worried that I might never see Liz again, I would share my secret with her, I wouldn't be able to win her love... I wouldn't be able to be there for her and she would... die... tomorrow.

"There he is!" I heard Isabel shout out suddenly from behind me.

I turned at saw Isabel and Michael walking towards me. Oh no, what didn't I do, I thought in a panic. I couldn't reveal to them what was really going on and that saddened me. I remember how much we all wanted to learn about our past at this point in our lives. It's almost funny, I don't think learning about us is as important anymore.

"Hello! Earth to Max!" Isabel called as her Michael reached my side. She looked really annoyed at me. "Where were you today after-school? You were supposed to meet us at the Jeep?"

"Yeah, and gee... I had to listen to Isabel complain about the heat for 45 minutes. Thanks EVER so much, Maxwell." Michael drawled out with a smirk.

"Uh... I forgot." I muttered, hating that I had to lie to them.

"Whatever." Isabel said and tossed the keys over to me. "You drive. Michael almost got us killed, like 5 times, while we were looking for you."

The hot New Mexico wind blew against our faces as I drove to my house. I briefly wondered why I was supposed to Michael and Izzy today. If you've ever had Deja-Vu (okay, not the popular strip club) then you'll realize what a nightmare this is for me. Then on top of that, consider - tomorrow is September 17. The day that Liz gets shot in the Crashdown Café and I heal her. The only problem is that if I heal her this time, I lose the game. So, now I have to save her life without revealing my secret.

I looked over a Michael while I drove and I couldn't believe the difference I saw in him without Maria. He looked so sullen, lonely and miserable. Maria made such a change in Michael; I never realized it until I could visibly see the Michael of old. Isabel was back to ice princess mode, sometimes I felt that even she could treat me coldly. Liz, Maria and Alex, I thought, you guys changed our lives in so many ways. I'm so sorry that I never thanked you three properly for it.

************

I won't bore you with the details of my study "date" with Liz. Nothing happened, to my disappointment, but I seriously doubted that Liz would suddenly make out with me or something like that. It was nice just being with Liz. However, I missed being able to really talk to her, not make some idle chitchat about our school and lives. I missed MY Liz.

I laid in bed a long time that night, full of fears that I wouldn't be able to save Liz tomorrow without using my powers. I knew deep down that if in some way Liz or Maria would get shot tomorrow that I would use my powers to heal them. I would not allow my friends to die, I will not ever allow them to get hurt again and yes, and I would sacrifice my future life to save Liz again. Would you expect anything else of me?

Finally, sometime hours later, I fell asleep and that's when I was visited by an angel, my Liz.

I was walking on a plain gray state of ground, in fact the whole world was gray and I, Max Evans, was lonely and scared. Then, suddenly I saw her - my angel.

"Max!" She yelled and flung herself into my arms. She smelled of goodness, strawberries and just Liz. "Oh my god, Max! Where are you?" She stared at the vast gray background of nothingness.

I looked at her, in my arms where she should be and kissed her forehead. God, I missed her and I wasn't sure about the rules so I STILL couldn't reveal what was happening. "Liz, honey..." I murmured, "I can't tell you this right now. You have to trust me that I'm okay and totally safe... Liz, how did you get into my dreams like this?"

Liz looked deep into my eyes. "Isabel found your clothes lying in a heap in your room and you were no where to be found. We all gathered together at my house and Isabel managed to bring me into her dreamwalking to find you." Liz hugged me close to her. "Oh Max... Please, promise me that you'll be safe."

I held Liz in my arms for a moment before breaking away. I pulled off my silver necklace that Liz gave me for my 17th birthday and then slipped it over my head. "I promise I'll come back to you, Liz. This necklace is my promise and will keep a small piece of me with you while I'm gone." I smiled at her softly.

Liz's eyes filled with tears as she took off the delicate gold chain that she always wore. "Max... Wear this and think of me. I hope it will bring you strength." She whispered as she pressed her necklace into my hand.

I leaned over and kissed Liz, missing her so much it hurt. "I have to go Max," Liz whispered, "Isabel can't hold this for very long."

"Okay. I love you Liz Parker and I'll be home soon." I murmured, not wanting to let her go.

Suddenly, I woke up with start. LIZ! My mind screamed for her, missing her touch. The sweat dripped off my face as I clenched my hand tighter around... Liz's gold necklace.

Part 0 | Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.