FanFic - Other
"The Baby Nexus"
Part 4
by Syndee Thomas
Disclaimer: The characters are THE WB'S.
Summary: Combines the already running theme from Tess to TESS and Treasures Found (Crashdown Fanfics.) Liz and Max are anxious about a Physical exam Mrs. Parker is adamant Liz takes Birth Control.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Michael drops Sondra at the loft with a promise to bring the car back before she has to leave for work. By the time he gets to Maria's house it's after midnight and he doesn't want to chance disturbing Mrs. Duluca so as usual he goes to Maria's window. It's locked but this doesn't create a problem because he uses his powers as always.

He stands upright just as Amy Deluca walks into Maria's room and turns on the light. "She isn't here Michael. I thought she was at your place."

"She was," he stammers, "but we kinda had a fight and she left and I wanted to apologize." He murmurs wondering if he should leave through the window or walk through the house and out the front door.

Amy Deluca sits down on Maria's bed and pats the area next to her, "Sit down Michael, I think it's about time we had a little talk."

Michael looks around the room not sure of what he's looking for. With hands in pockets he shuffles over to the space Maria's mother indicated and sits down.

"Maria adored her father," she points to a picture on her daughter's dresser. "And he never gave her any indication that he didn't feel the same way about her so when he left she was devastated."

Michael is still looking for a quick exit if the need arises.

"I'm not proud of some of the choices I made in my life but I am proud of Maria." Amy Deluca gets a far away look in her eyes.

She doesn't say anything for long moments and Michael becomes very uncomfortable and attempts to stand up to leave when she places her hand on his knee to still him.

"Maria wears her heart on her sleeve even though she likes to pretend she's teflon. She would never admit it to me but I know that she loves you." Her brow pulls into a frown. "Michael, is there something else going on between the two of you, some big secret?"

"Hmm, no. I mean no, no big secret, just boyfriend girlfriend stuff." He stammers than looks away when she turns to make eye contact.

"There is something else, isn't there? You guys spend all your time together and there's only so much making out you can do before... Oh my God! Maria says you aren't having sex but you are aren't you?" She stands up and starts to frantically look around the room.

Michael stands up too thinking she's looking for something to hit him with.

"Mrs. Deluca calm down." He grabs her flaying arms, "We are not having sex."

Amy Deluca takes several deep breaths, "Okay if it's not sex, what is it-drugs? Please don't let it be drugs." She's pacing the room stopping every now and again picking up and discarding stuffed animals from Maria's bed to hug to her chest.

Michael is categorically out of his element. He thought Maria leaned toward the dramatic but her mother could give Meryl Streep a run for the Oscar and on top of all that she's blocking his escape route.

Suddenly she stops pacing and directs her attention to Michael and then she begins to cry. "I don't know how to reach her anymore. We used to talk about everything and then suddenly this past year everything's a secret."

Michael is posed to run but there is something about Amy Deluca crying that tugs at his heart.

"Jeez Mrs. Deluca," He squirms on the bed before going over to embrace her. "Don't cry for Pete's sake."

She falls into his embrace and his shirt is immediately soaked as she has her head buried in the crook of his arm.

Michael gets a flash of Mrs. Deluca and Maria watching as someone drives away and he feels what she is feeling at that moment realizes that this feeling is what frightens Maria.

"I'mm...losg mmy little gurl." She mumbles through wrenching sobs.

"Maria's a good girl, believe me I know." He pushes her a little away from him to look down at her tear-stained face.

Comprehension of his words hit home, "She always said she was going to wait until she was married or at least until she knew the guy would stick around.

Michael, she doesn't know this but the only reason her father married me was because I was pregnant. Sometimes I think she knows the truth but wants to believe that he made a conscious choice to create a child."

The unspoken pledge that he will keep her secret is relayed with the softening of his features and an epiphanous spark in his eyes.

Michael looks for and then hands Amy Deluca a box of tissues, "Are you going to be okay, Mrs. Deluca, because it's after midnight and I'm getting a little worried about Maria."

She accepts the tissues, blows her nose and nods yes to his question.

"I've been thinking," Michael fixes her with a riveting stare. "My sisters are living here now and maybe we can all get together for diner sometimes. Family night so to speak."

He pats her arm and smiles as he heads to the window (his entrance of choice.) With one leg already out of the window he chances a glace at Amy Deluca whose brow is drawn together in displeasure.

"I'll use the door from now on, okay," as he continues out the window. "I'll have Maria call you as soon as I find her or if she comes home will you have her call me?"

She nods her head yes and then waves him away. She closes and locks the window wondering how he got in, in the first place because she's sure she locked it earlier.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.