FanFic - Other
"The Anonymous Letter"
Part 2
by RJ
Disclaimer: I do not own anything except my head, especially including, but not limited to, Roswell, all the characters, episodes, etc.
Summary: An anonymous letter is found, but who wrote it? Set after Max in the City.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
Maria arrived at the Crash Down with five minutes to spare. She went into the back and found Michael getting ready to start his shift as well. Actually, he was ready, and now he was reading the school paper.

“You’re the last person I’d expect to be reading the paper,” Maria commented. She looked over his shoulder, “Oh, the letter. Pretty sad, huh?”

“Yeah, sucks to be them,” he said blandly.

“You could be a little more compassionate,” Maria complained.

“What? It’s not like you wrote it,” he shot back.

“Me? Write that about what, you? Please!” she said annoyed. “I’m going to change and start my shift.”

Michael didn’t even look up, and in a minute, he decided to start his own shift. Two hours later he took a break. By that time, Alex, Isabel, and Max had come to the restaurant. Max sat alone, slowly eating and doing his homework. Alex and Isabel sat together, talking and munching. Michael came over to them.

“Hey, what’s up?” he asked.

“Oh, Alex and I were just talking about the letter in the paper. I’d like to know who wrote it. Tess and I didn’t-”

“And neither did Maria and I,” Alex said, butting in.

“Well, you can count me out. Why are you so curious?” Michael asked.

“Actually, I want to apologize. Nicole and I found it, and I suggested that she run it in the paper. I just didn’t think,” Isabel explained.

Michael nodded, “Been there. I’m going to go talk to Max, see ya!” They nodded and continued talking. Michael walked over to Max’s usual table, and he sat down.

Max looked up, “Hey Michael.”

“Hey Maxwell. Have you heard about that letter?” Michael asked anxiously.

“Yes. Why do you ask?” Max replied, looking back to his homework.

“Well, Isabel wants to know who wrote it. I guess she’s the one who got it published, and she feels bad. I’m a little curious too, you know?” Michael explained.

“I didn’t write it, if that’s what you’re wondering. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m trying to do my history homework,” Max said curtly.

“Whatever, Maxwell,” Michael said getting up. He went to the back room. He found Liz, skimming through his paper. “Hey, look who it is,” he commented.

“Oh, hey Michael,” Liz said smiling.

“Where have you been all day? Not skipping school?” he faked a gasp.

Liz blushed, “I went to Santa Fe with my mom for the afternoon. And note the ‘afternoon,’ I was at school for first and second period.”

“I see. You missed the paper’s debut at lunch then. What a ruckus. You should read that letter in the Social Section, it’s good. I’ll be right back,” Michael said, disappearing into the bathroom.

Liz turned to the article, and she read it intensely. In a minute Michael return.

“So what do you think?” he asked lightly.

She didn’t respond, but she turned her back to him and put the paper down.

“Liz?” Michael asked expectantly. He turned her to him. Her face was red, and she had a few tear streaks down her face. “So you did write it?” he concluded.

She nodded, still unable to speak.

He gave her a sad smile. “Thank you, for giving up Max, I mean. I know it’s hard, but you’re doing the right thing. Don’t worry about that letter, I won’t say anything.”

Liz returned the sad smile through her tears, “Thank you, Michael. I’m glad we’ve been about to be friends. I think it’s kind of funny though, that you of all people, no offense or anything, but that you of all people always find out about my person stuff. I mean, first the journal, now this...”

Michael laughed and she smiled, “Yeah, I’m going to give Max a run for his money one of these days.” They both laughed strongly and Liz’s tears dried. Maria entered, hearing their voices.

“What’d I miss?” she asked. She was surprised to see Liz and Michael laughing.

“Nothing,” Liz commented, still smiling. “Oh my gosh! I have to tell you about this cute shirt I bought today!” Liz said excitedly going out the door with Maria. Michael smiled to himself, and then he returned to his shift.

No one, except Michael, ever found out the author of the letter. Everyone guess the person was too embarrassed to say anything. Soon it was all forgotten anyway.

THE END

Part 1 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.