FanFic - Other
"Love Takes Time"
"Face the Day"
Part 9
by Mellissa
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Isabel POV
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
After Max drops me off in front of Michael's apartment building, I go to the drug store down the street. I grabbed a gallon of chocolate ice cream, and head back.

Maria is lounging on the couch, watching TV, while Michael is sitting on the one end, rubbing her feet. I grin. They look every inch the married couple.

"Hey guys," I say, getting their attention. They look up.

"Hey, Izzy," Maria greets me. Michael just nods in my direction. I sit in the armchair.

"Michael, you can go to work now," Maria prompts him.

"But, someone has to stay with you," Michael complains. I arch an eyebrow. Michael has really changed these past few months, I hardly recognize him.

"And what am I?" I ask. "Chopped liver?"

Michael groans. "Fine, but Izzy, you have to promise to call if anything happens," Michael instructs, standing.

"Aye aye, sir," I said, mockingly saluting. Michael grabs his coat, and leaves.

"So, what did ya bring?" Maria asks. I take the ice cream out. Her eyes light up. "Yum," she says. I go to the kitchen, and grab two spoons plus some Tabasco sauce. I settle back on the couch.

"So, what was wrong today?" I ask, digging into the ice cream. She swallows her scoop.

"I was having these sharp pains. Michael made me stay home, even though I kept telling him it was indigestion," Maria complains. She quickly changes the subject. "So, how are you and Alex?"

I nearly choke as the speed she's able to speak at. "Me and Alex? We're fine. We're taking it slow. Not as fast as you and Michael. But not as slow as Max and Liz."

"Max and Liz? But...?" Maria trails off.

"Please. Liz may have been telling the truth about not loving him anymore, but she'll come around. Eventually," I say, waving my hand around.

"So, what do you think will happen in the future?" Maria asks.

"I don't know. I mean, we're gonna be seniors next year, you know? After that, it's all a blur," I reply. Maria grows silent. I realize that after this month, it's all a blur to her. She doesn't know what's going to happen.

"Maria, what's it like?" I ask. She looks up.

"What? Being pregnant?" she asks. I nod. She shrugs. "About the same as anything. I mean, I don't show very much, you know? Thank God for small miracles. I'm just so scared."

"Have you told Michael?" The words are out before I realize I thought of them.

She shakes her head. "No way. He has enough to worry about. He keeps talking about quitting school if ... the baby is okay, you know? I'm so against that. What kind of future can this baby hope for if his parents didn't graduate high school?" she asks.

"But you are, right?" I ask. She shrugs.

"I don't know yet. I want to, but it seems impossible, you know? I mean, come September, if the baby is okay, where is it going to go during school? And during work? Oh, God, Izzy, what have we gotten ourselves into?" Maria asks. I can see some stuff is just occurring to her.

"Maria, you know your mother will help out. And, you know I'm here. Liz and Max are, too. And we can't forget Alex. We'll get you guys through this," I answer.

"It's so typical of you guys. Michael and I are forever doing stupid stuff. Whether we do it separately or not. And, you guys are always there to bail us out."

"It's not like you've never done the same. I mean think about it, really. If you hadn't provided the car, Michael never would have gotten to Texas. If you hadn't made him try again with the key, we might never had found the room. Both of you are essential. And, you know what else you've done for us?"

"What?"

"By having this baby, we'll have a good idea about human/alien relationships, you know? If it's possible."

"I guess you're right," Maria said, softly. Suddenly, she leans over and clutches her abdomen. She cries out in pain.

"Maria!" I cry, standing. I kneel beside her as she tries to catch her breath.

"Izzy, I think that I'm in labor," she gasps out.

The world stops.

Maria's in labor. I spring into action. I call Max and Liz are on their way to the reservation. They tell me they're turning around now. I call Michael. He yells to his boss that he's going. Apparently the guy is aware of Maria's condition. I call Alex. Mainly because I could use some support here.

I help Maria into the bedroom. She's clutching my hand.

"God, I feel like I'm being torn apart," Maria gasps.

I'm so scared. Because right now, I'm all she's got.

And I am so clueless.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.