FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 16
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Isabel and Maria paced the living room. In a few minutes, Maria's mom would arrive and the secret about the five aliens would be unraveled. Max hadn't made it downstairs yet. He was just as nervous as the two girls. Would their parents accept what they had to say? Would they understand? Would they let them travel to their planet? They were questions that were on all of their minds.

Isabel looked over at Maria. "Are you sure we want to do this?" She asked. "I mean, this is our chance to back out. We can stay here with Alex and Liz and not have to worry about going back."

Maria touched Isabel's shoulder and smiled. "We'll be fine." She said. "We'll be back before they even know we're gone. We've got to graduate in a month. We'll be back by then."

Isabel smiled. She knew Maria was right. They were just going to their planet to meet their families. It wasn't like would be gone forever. "Don' t leave me, ok?" Isabel asked.

Maria smiled. She felt selfish for being able to return to the planet with Michael. They were the only couple that could return. Max, Tess and Isabel all had to leave the ones they loved behind. She knew Isabel needed her. In a way, that made her feel a little easier about going. But still, she didn't know if she was convinced of going. "I promise."

The doorbell rang and the two girls jumped. Max bounded down the stairs. "It's time, go get mom and dad." He said, turning the door knob.

"Hi Max. Maria." Amy DeLuca said as she walked into the room. "Nice evening isn't it?" She asked.

"It sure is." Max said, inviting her into the living room. "Please sit down. Can I get you something to drink?"

"No thank you. I won't stay long. I just came to hear the 'big announcement' that you guys are making." She said.

"What exactly is this 'big announcement'?" Diane Evans asked, walking into the room. Philip and Isabel followed in behind her. They set down on the love seat and Isabel sat down beside Maria on the couch.

They didn't know how they were going to tell their parents. There was no easy way to tell them their children were aliens. Luckily with Maria in the room telepathic communication was possible through the three aliens. They could discuss what they were going to say first. It was decided that the easiest thing to explain would be Maria's relationship to Max and Isabel.

"First off," Max began. "it's nothing bad. If you're worried that we're dying or something. Don't be. We're fine." He looked towards Diane. "Remember when you asked me a while back about finding our real parents? Well, Isabel and I kinda began to look. I told you it was impossible. I thought it was. But then we discovered a secret surrounding our past. We had a sister. Half actually. We share the same father. What is even more miraculous is we found her." Max turned to Maria. He knew that their parents were going to be in for a shock.

"What?" Diane Evans mumbled. She was too stunned to say much more. "Where is she?"

Max smiled. "Sitting right here, beside Isabel."

Amy's mouth fell open. How could that be? She didn't even know Maria's father's name and she'd found siblings. It just wasn't adding up.

"How do you figure?" Amy asked.

Maria took over. "When you gave me the picture of my father, I showed it to Isabel. It was then that we discovered our fathers were the same. She had a picture of him and it took that photo to convince me. We learned that they're alive and they want us to come and see them."

Isabel continued. "Our father is still with our mother. We have a chance to meet her too. I've also heard we have another brother."

"Sweetheart," Philip Evans began. "Are you telling us that you want to meet your biological family? You and Max and Maria?"

"We do." Isabel said. "We want to meet them and see what they're like. How we are like them."

Amy DeLuca was still setting in the chair in shock. "Where is he?" She asked, tears springing to her face. "I have to see him. I have so many questions."

Maria looked to Max. He knew that was his signal to finish. "You can't see him." He began. "Only Isabel, Maria, Michael and Tess can see him."

"What? Michael and Tess? What's so special about them?" Amy demanded. "I have a child with the man for god's sake. There is no way that two teenagers are more important than me."

"Mom," Maria said. "listen to Max. Please."

Amy leaned back in the chair and prepared to listen. There was no way they could convince her that she wasn't going to get to talk to Maria's father.

"As I was saying," He continued. "No one except us five can see our parents. They are unreachable to everyone else. We have to travel a great distance to see them. We're planning on leaving tomorrow night. We'll re- He was cut off.

"The hell you're leaving!" Amy demanded. "I want to see the bastard! I deserve that much." She was almost on her feet. "He is not going to feed Maria full of lies when I don't even know who he is. I'm going too."

"Mom, you can't!" Maria pleaded. "You're not one of us. You'd never survive."

Amy DeLuca dropped back into the chair. "One of you? Maria what are you talking about?"

Maria grabbed Isabel and Max's hand. In a split second it was decided that Maria would be the one to tell them the truth. She gathered in a long, slow breath and exhaled. "We're not exactly human." She began.

"What?!?!" The three parents shouted at the same time.

"Calm down." Max began. "Isabel and I are from.up there." He said, pointing to the ceiling.

A look of confusion crossed Diane and Amy's face. Philip however, smiled. "You're saying that you and Izzy are Aliens?" He asked.

Shock and fear clouded Diane and Amy's face. Max watched as their expressions softened. "We are. Maria is half alien. Remember when I healed that bird mom?" Max asked. He had to get her to believe him. He couldn't stand the thought of her being scared of him. "It was because of my powers that I could do it."

"And remember when Liz was shot?" Isabel asked. "It was Max who saved her. She was dead when he reached her, but risked being caught to save her."

"And remember when the kitchen caught fire?" Max said, finally. "It wasn't the water that put out the flames."

Tears rolled gently across Diane Evans cheeks. She knew there was something different about Max. She didn't think Isabel was like him though. It was a shock to hear such things from Max, but she knew it explained some of the things that had happened. "Who else knows?" She asked.

"Only a handful of people. Michael, Tess, Kyle, Liz, Alex and Sheriff Valenti." Maria said.

"Jim knows?" Amy asked. "And he didn't say anything to me?"

"It's kind of a secret we all keep. Our lives here on earth kind of depend on it. The only reason we told you guys about it is because we have the chance to go home now. If we're happy there, we can stay. But we'll be able to return home before school ends." Max looked at his parents, pleadingly. "It's our only chance to ever see our home."

Philip Evans looked at his son. He looked more grown up than he had ever looked before. He knew it had taken a lot of courage to tell them their secret. "Will you come back?" He asked.

Max looked at Isabel and then to Maria and back at his dad. "Isabel, Maria and I plan on returning as soon as possible."

"Who else is going?" Amy suddenly asked.

"Michael and Tess are both, aliens too." Maria said. "They're going back with us."

Amy couldn't believe her ears. She'd never get the chance to talk to Maria' s father. She wasn't going to let that stop Maria though. If Maria wanted to see him then she couldn't stand in the way. As long as she promised to come back.

"You will come back?" She asked, looking at Maria.

"Yes. I promised Liz I'd come back. Besides, most of my life is right here on earth." Maria went over and hugged her mom. She didn't expect her mom to be as cool about the truth as she had been.

"Go." She said. "I want to know all the details about your father. What's he like? Everything."

Philip put his arm around Isabel. "Is this what you guys really want to do?" He asked.

Max smiled. "We have to know, dad." He said.

"Do what you need to, then." Philip said. "Just know that your mother and I will always be here. Even if you decide to stay there, we'll understand. We knew the day might come where you'd want to find your family."

"Thanks, mom. Thanks, dad." Isabel and Max said simultaneously, hugging their parents.

Everything was in order for their trip. "Well, we better get some sleep." Max said, turning to Isabel and Maria. "Tomorrow will be the hardest day for all of us. We should be well prepared."

Amy DeLuca and Maria walked to the door. "Strange world isn't it, Diane?" She asked.

Diane just smiled. "It sure is."

As they walked away from the Evans's, Maria's mind wondered. Tomorrow they' d have to face telling Alex, Kyle and Liz good-bye. She couldn't imagine leaving them, and yet she was getting ready to. She was sure of one thing. If tomorrow didn't arrive fast, she may not be able to go through with it. If the look on Liz's face was too sad, she wouldn't be able to step onto the ship. The real test of strength would come tomorrow.

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.