Fanfic - Other Roswell Stories
"Isabella"
Part 14
by Kari
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or anything to do with it. All rights belong to UPN and Melinda Metz.
Summary: This is my modern day version of a Roswell Cinderella story! This is totally AU!
Category: Other Roswell Stories
Rating: PG-13
Isabella sat in her chair and waited. Amy went out on the stage to get the audience's attention and to announce who the girls were that were going to be auditioning. Isabella found out that she was going to be the last one to audition. She groaned softly. She didn't want to wait…she wanted to get it over with.

Laurie Dupree walked out on stage and sang Oops I Did it Again by Britney Spears. Isabella chuckled to herself. She knew Laurie had no chance now. The Whits didn't seem like the type of people to be impressed by a song originally sung by a ditzy blonde with a boob job.

Then Maria sang There You Go, by Pink. Isabella had to admit that she sounded really good. After Maria sang there was an intermission. Isabella ran to the lobby. She found Liz and Max.

"Hey," said Liz. "Are you nervous?"

"Yes," said Isabella. "I'm terrified."

"Don't be. You're so going to get the part," said Max. "Besides, you already won Alex over."

Isabella looked at Max in shock. "I never thought of it that way. I don't want to get the part just because I'm with Alex. If I get the part I want to get it because I deserve it."

"Don't worry," said Liz, giving Max a disapproving look. "Max was joking. You'll get it because you deserve it. I'm sure no one will pick you just because you're with Alex. Besides, none of the judges will recognize you as Isabella, remember?"

"You're right. Thanks Liz. I better go now. Wish me luck."

"Luck!" Max called out as Isabella walked backstage again.

"Hey," said a voice from behind her.

"Alex?" she asked, turning to see who it was.

"Ah, no, just little old me," said Mr. Valenti. "I just wanted to wish you luck and remind you to remember the breathing techniques I taught you."

"Thanks Jim. And thank you so much for helping me out with my singing. It's meant a lot to me."

"You're welcome. Well, I'll head back to my seat. I think Tess is about to sing."

Isabella went to stand in the left wing of the stage, watching Tess walk out. Tess sang I'm Like a Bird, by Nelly Furtado.

Isabella thought to herself, 'Yeah, you look like a bird!'

Next up was Pam Troy, Liz's least favorite person from high school. She sang Have You Ever, by Brandy. Isabella got really scared then. Not because she knew she would be called out any second, but because she knew that Pam had sung better than she ever could.

"And last, but certainly not least, we have Star," announced Amy. Isabella stood up on shaky legs, but couldn't get them to walk her out onto the stage. "Star!" announced Amy a little louder.

Isabella finally got herself moving, but extremely slowly. She went out onto the stage and walked up to the microphone. She tried to find her friends in the audience, but couldn't spot them. She did however see Alex. He smiled and blew her a kiss. All of a sudden her fears flew out of her mind. She was no longer scared. She was just going to sing and have a good time. "I'll…I'll be singing Here With Me, by Dido," she said into the microphone. She took a deep breath and signaled for the band to start playing the backup music they had learned.

I didn't hear you leave, I wonder how am I still here
I don't want to move a thing, it might change my memory
Oh I am what I am, I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be, until you're resting here with me
I don't want to call my friends, they might wake me from this dream
And I can't leave this bed, risk forgetting all that's been,
Oh I am what I am, I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be, until you're resting here
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be, until you're resting here with me
Oh I am what I am, I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be, until you're resting here
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be, until you're resting here with me

She bowed her head in embarrassment. All she could think was, 'That was horrible!' And then the ballroom exploded into applause. Max and Liz stood up and applauded as loud as possible. Soon everyone was rising to their feet, applauding. For her!

She looked out at the crowd and started to cry. She couldn't believe that all this applause was for her. Yet, it was.

"Yay, Isabella!" yelled Max. Isabella paled and looked at him. He instantly realized what he'd done. Isabella looked at Amy and saw that she had heard. Amy knew that she wasn't Star…and now she was in trouble. Amy, Maria, and Tess came running up on the stage and grabbed her, pulling her backstage.

"You lying little twerp!" yelled Amy. "I told you that you were forbidden from auditioning…and then you went and did it anyways! I ought to-"

"Is there a problem here?" Isabella heard Jim Valenti say. She was relieved that someone was here to help her.

Amy looked up and saw Jim…Jim who she had liked for years. "Oh…Jim. No, no problem. Just congratulating Star."

Jim shook his head. "We both know she's Isabella. Let's call her by her real name. I must say, Amy, I'm quite disappointed in you."

"Well, Jim…really, she somehow gave laryngitis to Maria, so I had to punish her somehow…"

"You do know that she can still win…she's an adult. Even if she signed up under a different stage name, her document is legal."

Amy turned pale. "No. I don't believe this! One of my daughters was supposed to win. It can't be like this!"

Jim led Isabella forward onto the stage again. "Let's have another round of applause for our new member of The Whits!" he said.

Isabella faced Jim, her mouth hanging open. "Wha…what?"

"You were picked, Isabella. Everyone agreed. You are the new female vocalist for The Whits!"

Isabella felt weak in the knees. She started to collapse, but someone behind her caught her. She turned to face…Alex.

"Hey there love," he said. "This is so amazing, isn't it? Now we can be together all of the time."

"NOT IF I CAN HELP IT!" Amy yelled, running onstage, much to the amusement of the audience. "I KICKED YOU OUT! YOU ARE TRESPASSING! NOW YOU HAVE TO LEAVE BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE! GET OUT!" She shooed Isabella offstage. Alex tried to follow, but Maria and Tess held him back.

"Let go of me!" yelled Isabella, struggling. Amy pushed her ahead of her and hurried her towards the front doors.

As Isabella was running, one of the heels on her boots broke off. She stumbled, but kept going. She left, walking towards Max's jeep, where she saw him and Liz, about to drive away.

She climbed inside. "Max," she muttered, out of breath. "I am going to kick your ass. Now drive."

Max looked nervously at Liz and drove towards Liz's house. He stopped in her driveway and turned to look at Isabella. "Look, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say your name. Forgive me please?" He looked like he was about to cry.

Isabella decided she had too many problems now without adding a lost friend to the list. "Ok," she said. "You're forgiven. Did you guys stick around long enough to find out who won?"

"No," said Liz. "Who won?"

"I did." Liz and Max broke into smiles and hugged her as best they could with the seats between them.

"Oh my god Isabella," exclaimed Liz. "I knew you could do it!" They went inside Liz's house to celebrate.

Back at the Sagebrush, Alex ran into the lobby to see Max's jeep pulling away. He leaned down and picked something up off the carpet. It was the heel from Isabella's boot. "I'll see you soon," he said quietly. "I'll find you…and then we'll never be apart again."

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.