FanFic - Other
"In Death, In Life"
"Embracing the Light"
Part 4
by Kerry
Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
She is there alone.

Everything had ended so quickly. Max and her were on their way to the Crashdown, smiling and laughing as he drove confidently, secure with himself, secure in the world.

How were they to know it would end like this?

She can still hear her own scream echoing across the street. She had called for Max and met his eyes for one last desperate moment before the jeep had tipped onto its side. Then there was darkness and Max’s voice….begging for her not to leave him, fading into reticence even as she heard it.

His voice has gone silent now. Maybe he could sense her still sitting beside him, even as he cradled her lifeless body in his arms. Those arms that always protected her so well….until now.

She could sense him getting weaker. He himself didn’t have much longer, his injuries were too great. Liz regretted that. She wanted him with her but not at the sacrifice of his own life. He had so much left to give.

It wasn’t her choice though. It was his.

He turned to her and she smiled at him, urging him to lie down. His weakness was radiating like a beacon and she wanted to ease him. Without a word, and without breaking eye contact, he did as she bid him, arranging her mortal body over his, still protecting her.

Even when he was dying, he still protected her.

She loved him so much.

She watched as he closed his eyes, as his chest stopped moving. Vaguely, she could hear the sound of Isabel screaming. Liz smiled in sympathy. Isabel would understand…they all will understand.

There was a blur beside her and Max was beside her now, smiling so sweetly. She felt as though her love for him was shining like the sun. He was her true soul mate, they will be together for eternity, that much was clear to her.

"Max," she put all of her longing in that one word. Liz smiled back and him and held out her hand, secure in the knowledge that he would take it, that he would always be with her. Through life…through death.

"I love you, Liz," he murmured, his eyes never wavering from hers as he took her hand.

Her heart burst. "I love you too," she whispered back. Her Max was here with her now. She had all that she ever wanted.

As though of one mind, two sets of warm eyes turned to the earthly bodies they had just departed from. Not even the sound of their family’s distress could disturb their peace. They both knew they would understand eventually.

A light shined on the horizon, much like a blazing sun, at first so brightly that Liz had to shield her eyes. It had dimmed to a steady hum and was now welcoming both souls into its brightness.

Smiling at each other, they both took one step….then another…and another….

Embracing the light.

The End

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.