FanFic - Other
"In A Boy's Dream"
Part 11
by Karen
Disclaimer: Don't own anything but an active imagination. All Roswell characters are the property of someone at the WB. "Reunion" is from Collective Soul.
Summary: Good vs. Evil with our Izzy in the middle (Guess who wins)
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Feedback appreciated. Just be gentle with me - it was my first time!!
Michael cracked open his apartment door and peeked into the Crashdown kitchen, hoping to see Maria out there. His lips curved into a frown when he saw she wasn't there. He closed the door and flopped down on the sofa.

This just didn't make sense. It didn't make sense that Liz had connected with Isabel, regardless of how brief or terrifying it had been. It didn't make sense that he couldn't connect with her. Michael squeezed his eyes so tight they hurt and concentrated. He waited, felt his frustration grow, then swore aloud when a knock on the door disrupted his concentration.

Michael flung open the door, ready to snap at Maria for being late and for interrupting him. Alex Whitman was standing at his door.

Alex looked like he'd witnessed a train wreck. All of Michael's animosity faded away and he stepped aside to let Alex in. Alex sat down on the edge of the couch.

"I...heard," he said, folding his hands between his knees. "Maria told me."

Michael pushed his hands into his pockets. He wasn't good at comforting others - especially guys. He could usually get by with Maria by giving her a peck on the forehead and hugging her. He didn't have to speak. He couldn't do that with Alex. He felt his palms start to sweat.

"I don't know what I can do," Alex continued. "But if there is any way that I can help, I'll be there in a heartbeat."

Michael nodded. "Thank you, Alex. We're still trying to come up with a plan. I don't know what we are going to do yet."

"Alright." Alex pushed himself to his feet and stopped with his hand on the doorknob. "Don't forget about me. I'm kind of fond of Isabel."

Alex opened the door and Maria nearly fell in. She gave him a sympathetic smile, and touched him lightly on the arm as he left.

"Wow," Michael said as Maria shut the door. "That guy's a mess."

"Aren't we all...."

"No, I mean, he's like wrecked. I didn't even know he knew Isabel that well."

Maria shrugged gently. "I've known Alex for a long time. And for all of that time he's been pining for Isabel." She frowned. "She's always been so cold to him."

With a pang, Michael remembered his kiss with Isabel and the warmth that had spread all the way to his toes. "Izzy isn't cold. She's just never been able to trust humans. I think she's been very lonely."

Maria watched Michael's face as he spoke, and she could feel his grief for Isabel. "She must be very lonely right now," she said, changing the subject. "Let's think of a way to get her back."

Max stood apprehensively in Isabel's doorway. The horrors of that night came flooding back to him and he had to close his eyes. When he inhaled, he could still smell her, that distinctive Isabel smell. It was like a combination of perfume, make up and a sweet smell that was Isabel's own. Max touched her robe, which she'd tossed off after she'd come from the shower that night.

He heaved a sigh and reached under her bed. He came out with what he'd been looking for - the bag containing the healing stones. God, he hoped Michael was right.

Downstairs, Liz, Michael and Maria turned to Max as he entered the living room. Michael's eyes traveled down to the bag in Max's hand. Max put the bag on the coffee table.

"Tell me what we are going to do again," Liz said, focusing her attention on Michael.

"Well," he began. "This was Maria's idea, and I think she may be right. When I was sick, I had withdrawn into my head somewhere. You guys brought me back using the stones. Isabel disappeared while in Max's head." Max felt a stab of guilt. "So maybe if we use the stones we can bring her back, too."

Liz considered this. "It's worth a try. How do we do this?"

"We each hold a stone," Michael began, emptying the bag onto the table. "We stand in a circle, and if we concentrate, we should be able to connect to one another. Then we concentrate on Isabel and try to use all of our power to connect with her."

"Okay, let's give it a shot."

Each of them took a stone, then stood in a circle. Max showed Liz how to hold hers, and Michael helped Maria. They closed their eyes and concentrated on one another.

The stone in Max's hand began to glow first. He'd always been the stronger one. Then Michael's started to glow, then Liz's, then Maria's.

Max felt Liz's presence brush past him, lovingly, playfully. He saw himself in her - the love in his eyes, his strong arms around her naked body. His soul smiled, then wept as she moved on. Next he felt Maria, a little worried, but full of hope that this would work. She was the eternal optimist. Then he felt Michael.

As soon as Michael touched his mind, Max was unable to hold back the knowledge he'd gained the night Isabel had disappeared. Max felt anger directed at him for holding the secret as Michael recoiled, then hurt, then self-loathing at the discovery of what he truly was. Max didn't let Michael's presence leave - he sent out an apology, a brotherly embrace, then let him drift away.

"Now!" Michael shouted as soon as Max had let him leave.

All four of them turned their thoughts to Isabel. Max thought of times when they were children, of her holding him during the night. Maria thought of their make-up sessions, when Isabel would try to get her to change her look to a more conservative one. Liz and Isabel had never been close, so Liz thought of Max's love for her, because Liz had seen this in Max's soul.

Max felt the rush first. She was there, inside of his head. "Isabel," he gasped.

"Max...." it was barely audible. "Help me."

Michael felt her next. "Isabel, hold on. Tell us where you are."

Her presence waned, and Max reached out with his mind as fast as he could. Don't go yet, he pleaded. He felt her a little stronger, but realized he didn't have the strength to pull her all of the way through. He couldn't keep it up much longer. Michael combined his power with Max's, but it wasn't going to be enough. As he lost his grip, he sent her another message. I love you, Izzy.

The anger and hatred Max was faced with literally send him hurling through the living room. He slammed into the wall with a resounding thud, the stone rolling from his hands. The connection was broken, and the other three rushed over to him.

"My God," Liz gasped, reaching for him. "Are you okay?"

Max fought to regain his breath, then nodded. "I think so."

"Damn," Michael said, looking down at his friend. He wanted to confront Max, he wanted to beat the hell out of him for letting Liz in on their secrets before he'd shared them with Michael. It was too big, too important for Max to be squirreling information away. Michael couldn't do anything about that now, but the time would come. He reached down and helped Max to his feet.

"I think I know how to get her back," Max announced.

Liz, Maria and Michael were looking at him in disbelief.

Max turned to Liz. "When you saw her, what had you said? You had told me you loved me. Right before whatever that thing was kicked me across the room, I told Isabel I loved her."

They were still staring at him.

"It's pure hatred," Max explained. "What defeats hate?"

Liz reached for Max's hand. "Love."

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.