FanFic - Other
"Far from Normal"
Part 1
by Nace M.
Disclaimer: I own no Roswell characters, but Jason is entirely mine. All other copyrights go to Melinda and the WB
Summary: A new kid comes to town, but he's not like anybody they've ever met.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Any feedback would be just grand.
The seemingly endless desert highway spilled out before him. When he first entered the desert all the way back in California he found the sparkling grains of sand, scattered green cacti, and vast mountains beautiful. But after three states and an uncounted number of miles worth of the same dull sand and endless mountain chains he was getting a little sick of it. He was still surprised his parents let him drive all the way to New Mexico by himself. They'd gone ahead with the movers a few days prior leaving him behind to say his good-byes. His parents had always trusted him and figured he was responsible enough to drive the distance alone.

"Boring" he thought dazing out the window again.

The only thing he liked about the desert was that out here there were no voices he had to block out. No endless rally of concentration to keep other peoples thoughts at bay. It was a rest his mind greatly needed. A road sign finally came into view, "Roswell 35 miles," it read.

"Yes" he thought, "about a half-hour to go."

He still wasn't too happy about moving, especially to thee Roswell, New Mexico of all places. He, like every other sci-fi interested teen had heard the tales and seen alien autopsy and thought it was a load of bull. Sure he was open to the idea of life on other planets, you'd have to be moron not to be, but he wouldn't believe that such an advanced race of beings would waste their time ever coming to this mud ball. Let alone end up in a one-horse town like Roswell.

He cranked up his stereo and stepped on the gas, he hadn't seen a cop for about 300 miles and thought it would be safe to engage in a little unnecessary speeding. About twenty minutes and two miles out of town later he saw the red and blue lights flashing in his rearview mirror.

"Great," he thought, "Just great."

Slowing his 69' mustang to a crawl, he calmly pulled onto the shoulder. He looked behind him to see the sheriff get out of his cruiser and waltz over to him.

"License and registration please," said the sheriff.

He handed them over and glanced at the cops badge, "Valenti," it read. "What kind of name is that?" he wondered.

"Well, well," Valenti started, "Jason Matthews from sunny California. I'm sure aware the speed limit of sixty-five miles an hour is indeed the national limit."

"Yes sir," Jason replied.

"I clocked you at ninety," Valenti said. "Want to tell me what's your hurry?"

"Just anxious to get out of the desert that's all," said Jason.

"Seems like a lot of baggage to be a tourist," Valenti stated looking at his backseat.

"I'm moving," Jason responded.

"Moving huh? and just where is this El Dorado you're so eager to get to ?," Valenti inquired.

"Roswell," Jason said looking away, it took him a second to close off the sheriff's mind, and he still didn't want to admit to himself that yes that's where he was going.

"Really," Valenti replied, "Roswell huh? Well on account of your being the new kid in town, I'm going to be a nice guy today and let you off with a warning. But if I ever get you again you'll get more than just a ticket."

"Oh…okay, thanks." Jason said.

"Watch yourself," Valenti warned.

Jason nodded then started up his car and drove off.

Valenti stared at the mustang as it roared off. He couldn't explain this feeling he had about that kid, something was different about him. He only knew he felt it with those other three. He was going to keep a close eye on this Jason Matthews.

Jason looked down at the map laid across his hood, this town was harder to get around than he thought. He sighed and thought about that Valenti character, it took him a second to block off his thoughts but in that second he had gotten an interesting tidbit of information. The guy was a firm alien believer/hunter and was a little suspicious of Jason. He snickered at that a little, he wasn't an alien and having some ET hunting sheriff suspecting him was just to funny. His laughter quickly subsided as the revelation hit him. He may not be from outer space, but he still wasn't like anyone else he'd ever known.

As soon as he entered the town limits a wave of voices rushed over him. It wasn't as bad as when he lived in San Diego, Roswell was definitely much smaller and the meager population meant it was easier to control his power. Maybe he could even have some fun using it for a change. Jason's stomach started to rumble and he looked across the street to see the 'Crashdown Café.'

"Great," he thought, "I hope this whole place doesn't have UFO's on the brain."

He stepped through the door and heard it chime the theme from Close Encounters. "Oh brother," he thought. A splash of emotions hit him as he took a seat on a stool at the counter. He looked over to the other end to see two waitresses leaning on the counter and talking to a couple of guys. Yep, love was definitely in the air. One of the waitresses was dark haired and had really pretty big brown eyes. Jason didn't look at her too long though; you didn't have to be able to read minds to see that the guy she was talking to had her heart indefinitely. You could just see it in her eyes. The other waitress girl had this head full of springy blonde strands. She seemed to be involved in a staring contest with a guy that had the strangest hair do he'd ever seen. It was spiky anywhere and everywhere it could have been.

The springy haired girl finally noticed Jason and walked over to him.

"What can I get you?" she asked.

"Cherry coke," Jason replied.

The remaining three at the end of the counter immediately turned their heads in Jason's direction at his order.

"Is that a rare request?" he asked the waitress glancing over at the other three.

"Nah," she replied. "But those two," she said pointing at the guys, "Drink it all the time."

"I see," said Jason. He looked down at the two guys, there was something off about them, and he couldn't explain but just felt it. He could tell that they had secrets, big secrets. Both of their minds weren't giving off anything and Jason was actually trying to read them. The spiky haired guy shot him and evil look, like he could almost tell what he was trying to do.

Jason's attention turned back to the waitress as she set down his drink.

"Thanks Maria," he said.

"How do you know my name?" she asked rather startled.

Jason was surprised by the shocked way she responded. He would understand if she weren't wearing a nametag or something. Although he knew that's not where he learned her name, he pointed to it casually.

"Oh," she said a little flushed.

"Do you know how to get to Arroyo Drive?" he asked.

"Looking for a relative or something?" Maria inquired.

"Actually I'm looking for my new house," he replied. "I just moved here."

"Really?" she said. "Why on earth would you want to move here?"

"Wanting to and having to are two different things," Jason said. "I had to move here."

"Well I feel sorry for you pal," Maria said smiling.

It was a cute smile Jason thought, but no way. He'd already gotten a flash of the spiky haired guy from her mind. Michael his name was, and the thoughts Maria had about him…

'Control yourself,' he thought, 'You don't need to know every little detail.'

"Hey guy," Maria said waving her hand in front of his face.

"Sorry," he said. "Must have spaced out there."

The dark haired waitress looked up and walked over to them.

"Hi," she said.

"Hello," Jason replied.

"You want to know how to get to Arroyo Drive right?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah," he said.

She grabbed a napkin and began scribbling directions on it. Jason took a few more sips of his soda and glanced back at the guys. Michael was still eyeing him suspiciously as the other one stared intently at the dark haired girl. She finished with the directions and handed them over to Jason. Her hand slightly brushed his, and the contents of her entire mind were sent rippling through him. His whole body trembled as he knocked over his coke and almost fell off the stool; the two waitresses jumped back a step. A second later the harsh sensation stopped almost as quickly as it started.

"Are you okay?" the dark haired one asked.

"I'm fine Liz," he se said.

"I didn't tell you my…" she began.

Jason pointed at her nametag and held his head in his hands. He'd never felt a rush like that before, this girl Liz just had so much pent up inside her, it was screaming to be let out. He now knew what was so off about the two guys Michael and Max was the other ones name. He just couldn't believe it; they were…aliens, real life aliens and just sitting a few seats down. Jason looked up to find all four of them staring at him.

"I gotta go," he said. "Liz, Maria thanks for the directions, but I uh…I gotta go."

He threw a few bucks on the counter and quickly ran out the front door. Max and Michael stared at each other intently.

"Just what the heck was that all about?" Maria asked.

"I don't know, but I don't like it," Michael said sternly.

"Max?" said Liz grabbing his hand.

"Huh?" he answered.

"What do you think that was?" she asked. "I've only seen that happen when you make a…" her voice trailed off.

"I have no idea," Max said.

"Wait a minute," Maria said. "Do you think he's, could he be one of…" "No way," Michael interrupted. "We would have felt him, right Max?"

"Yeah," Max replied staring at the door.

The kid wasn't one of them, but he was still far from normal.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.