FanFic - Other
"Family Ties"
Part 15
by Syndee
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Both men heads snap up when they hear Nancy Parker's incredible statement.

"Nancy, what the hell are you talking about?" Jeff inches to the edge of his seat as he catches Max's gaze. Max doesn't seem as surprised at her statement as he should be. "Okay. You guys want to let me in on what's going on?"

"Dad." Liz, with both of her hands still clasped between her mother's, turns slightly to look at Max. "Max isn't from around here."

"Okay, I'll bite. Where is he from?" Liz's dad addresses the question to her.

Liz, Max, and Nancy Parker point upward with their index fingers at the same time, almost as thought it were rehearsed.

Jeff ponders their gestured answer for a moment. "So all those stories that my family has been passing down for centuries are true; that Liz is the predestined mate of an alien leader sent to earth in human form to save the planet?"

They all nod and watch as Jeff leaps from his chair and with one hand on his hip and the other running nervous fingers through his hair, starts to pace back and forth.

He stops his pacing and stares at his wife. "How long have you known about Liz's role in all of this?"

Nancy holds his ice blue gaze for just a moment before turning away. "I've known definitively since she was four years old."

"It was the year that you bought "The Crashdown." You were working long hours and Liz and I would go up to the lake on the weekends to visit your parents.

Your father was showing us some family pictures. When Liz and I both recognized a picture of Aisling and the Waterfall located on the ancestral family's estate from our dreams, your father took me aside to tell me the story.

Aside from Aisling, all the other Parker women had gotten their visions or dreams later in life. Your father was visibly upset and I'm almost certain that this may have led to his heart attack a week later-the one he ultimately died from.

Anyway, he stressed how important it was not to tell Liz about her future role in saving mankind. The future was set and even the slightest interruption could be catastrophic.

He told me that he would put me in touch with someone who knew of her importance and could help me to keep her safe, but he died before he could do it."

"You were going to tell me when you got home, weren't you? You called me from the lake and told me that we needed to talk about Liz, but my father had his heart attack and you never mentioned it again." Jeff sits down on the edge of the sturdy coffee table inches away from his wife and daughter.

"I was going to tell you but something happened that really brought home to me how important it was for us to be sure that Liz was safe." Nancy places her hand on her husband's knee and gives it a squeeze.

"What happened Mrs. Parker?" Max speaks for the first time, since confirming to Mr. Parker that he is an alien.

"Liz and I had been at the hospital all day awaiting news of her grandfather's condition when her grandmother suggested that we go out for something to eat. I didn't want to leave her there by herself because Jeff had yet to arrive from Roswell but she insisted.

We ate lunch at a small diner and were returning to the hospital when Liz became agitated after she accidentally bumped into a stranger on the street. Their eyes had met and held for a second before he continued on his way.

Liz had attached herself to my leg and was facing a storefront window when she blurted out that the man was one of the enemies that she'd seen in her dreams.

He must have heard her because he immediately started following us and without knowing the area, our choice to turn down a dead end alley put us in the precarious situation of being trapped.

With my back literally against the wall, I positioned Liz behind me as I searched for some type of weapon to defend us with, but there was nothing.

I looked down at Liz, not knowing how I was going to protect her when she casually extended her left arm out and towards the menacing figure steadily approaching us. Suddenly a bright blue light flashed out from her palm and struck the stranger with a force that lifted him up and away from us and slammed him against a concrete wall.

I knew instinctively that he was not human, and that I couldn't go to the police in fear that it would change the future and expose Liz, so we just returned to the hospital.

I checked the newspapers later to see if his body was ever discovered, but I never saw anything about it.

From that day forth I discouraged Liz from talking about her dreams, and started pushing her toward learning as much as she could, especially about science."

"I suppose that this power that she used to, hmm eliminate the threat, is the same power that Aisling's granddaughter used when she killed a similar being." Jeff Parker refuses to acknowledge that his then four-year-old daughter had actually killed a being from another planet.

"Jeff, I should have told you." She squeezes her husband's hands before turning to her daughter.

"Honey, I am so sorry." Nancy eyes begin to tear up again. "I was so busy trying to keep you safe because I love you so much, I forgot to show you how much I loved you. Can you forgive me?"

Liz leans over and hugs both her parents. "Mom, there's nothing to forgive."

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.