FanFic - Other
"Czech Your Dimensions"
Part 4
by John
Disclaimer: : Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
(Perhaps with all the fun at Disneyland, you forgot what was going on in Roswell with our friend Devin. He spent the morning wondering if his attempt to be a "people" as he called it was such a good idea. After a while, things didn't seem quite as serious as they did the night before. He also realized he had a commitment to work for Michael, so he might as well make the best of it for the next few days. About 3:00 P.M., he spiked his hair again and went to work at the Crashdown. He really wants to get in touch with Michael to tell him about the strange visitor. He told Maria's mom if Maria called to let him know. He's tried to put his other problem aside, but to no avail. His "girlfriend" walks into the restaurant…)

(Scene: The Crashdown:)

Anna: Hey…Michael. Do you know where your lookalike friend Devin is? I went by the Whitman's and no one seems to be home.

Devin: (Trying to disguise his voice.) No…I haven't seen him all day.

Anna: If you see him, tell him I need to talk to him.

Devin: (Trying to throw her off.) OK…I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name.

Anna: It's Anna. Tell him Anna is looking for him. Here's my phone number. Will you give it to him?

(Anna hands him a paper with the number written on it. Suddenly, all the worry about that situation comes back. He is really torn. He likes Anna. She seems to like him. Is it all right to let her get any closer to him? He decides, maybe he should seek advice from Alex on this situation. Then, he remembers Alex is in California too. Devin truly has been left to be his own "person". He works through the evening when finally the phone rings. Amy answers. It's Maria, checking in with her mom.

Maria: Mom! How's everything?

Amy: I haven't been too busy. I thought it would be worse trying to run the store and work for you too.

Maria: Good. And how's De…Michael?

Amy: He fine. He wants to talk to you when we finish?

Maria: OK. Today we went to Disneyland and had a really fun time. We went on a whole bunch of rides and just forgot about everything else. There was an interesting experience on the Small World ride. The music suddenly changed to something very hip.

Amy: Oh, I hope they don't change that ride. It's so nice the way it was.

Maria: I don't think they intend to change it. What happened today was a mistake.

Amy: You sound like you're having a fun time. I'm glad you could go. You be sure to tell Mr. and Mrs. Evans "thank you".

Maria: I will mom. Tomorrow we're going the beach.

Amy: Sound like fun. I'll get Michael for you.

(Amy calls Devin/Michael to the phone.)

Devin/Michael: Hi!

Maria: Things going OK?

Devin/Michael: About as usual.

Maria: Glad to hear it. Thanks again for working so Michael could come.

Devin/Michael: (Lowers his voice) Your mom still thinks that I'm Michael.

Maria: That's really good too.

Devin/Michael: Give me your number. I'll call you when I'm home. I have to talk to Michael. Make sure he's with you. This is important.

Maria: What's wrong?

Devin/Michael: (Low voice) I can't talk here. I'll call you. (Back to normal voice.) So, I'm glad you're having fun. I'll see you when you get back.

Maria: OK, Devin. I'll tell him. Here's our number…

(Finally, Devin will be able to tell them about what's been happening. Devin says goodbye and finishes work. He helps clean up, then heads back to Michael's apartment. He calls the number Maria gave him.)

Isabel: Hello...Alex?

Devin: No…but I'd like to talk to him.

Isabel: Who is this?

Devin: It's Devin.

Isabel: Oh, Devin. How are things back home?

Devin: I need to talk to Michael.

Isabel: He's not here. Maria went down to his room a few minutes ago and…oh wait, they just came back. Michael, it's Devin.

(Michael takes the phone.)

Michael: Hello!

Devin: Michael! I'm doing as you asked and staying at your place. Last night when I came home a man…a Native American I think…was inside sitting here waiting for me…you. I don't know how he got in.

Michael: It must have been Riverdog.

Devin: He didn't say his name, but he did think I was you. He seemed to know all about you and Max. He wanted you to come to some cave as soon as possible. He said to come alone or only with the one who is like you. He explained something was happening out there. He didn't explain, but said it was dangerous and he was keeping everyone out of the cave until you saw it.

Michael: If Riverdog came into town, it must be important.

Devin: I told him I had to work and it might be a few days before I…you…could get there. He said to come as soon as possible. Do you want me to go see what he wants or shall we make him wait until you get back?

Michael: Hmmm. I don't know right off. Riverdog's very sharp. He may figure out you're not me if you have any more contact. At the same time, we should find out what's concerning him. Let me talk to Maxwell. I'll call you back.

Devin: I hate to spoil your vacation, but he did seem very concerned.

Michael: Be back to you soon.

Devin: Is Alex there? I need to talk to him.

Michael: He's down in room 704. You could call back and ask for that room. I'll head back down there right now and tell Max about this. Call us there.

(Devin does as instructed.)

(Phone rings.)

Alex: Hello!

Devin: Hi Alex. This is Devin.

Alex: Devin, how did you find us?

Devin: Maria called the Crashdown and I got your numbers from her. Is Michael there yet?

Alex: No.

Devin: He probably went to find Max.

Alex: Max is right here, stretched out on the bed.

Devin: Then Michael will be there shortly, I'm sure. I need to speak with him again. While we're waiting, could I ask you for some advice?

Alex: I guess.

Devin: Alex…there's this girl…Anna…I think she likes me.

Alex: That's great!

Devin: She asked me to come to a party. I went and I was having a good time.

Alex: Neat…I'm glad you could go.

Devin: I was too. But then she dragged me into a bedroom and began saying how she really liked me. She was hugging and kissing me. All of a sudden, her boyfriend walked in. He got really mad at both of us. He stomped out on her.

Alex: I can believe that.

Devin: I told her she should go make up with him. That she wanted him, not me. I told her there were things about me she didn't know.

Alex: And?

Devin: That's the problem. She says she doesn't like him any more. She likes me. Even though I left the party right after that, she went by your house looking for me, then came to the Crashdown to ask Michael…me…where I was. She left her number for me to call. So Alex, what do I do? I like her. I like her so much I need to tell her we can't be together. She should go back to her human boyfriend. I can't be having a relationship with her.

Alex: Why not? Isn't that what you wanted?

Devin: Interacting with people in general is a different thing than a one on one, male female relationship. In the first place, other than what I observed Michael and Maria doing I don't know what to do with her. Secondly, it's not fair of me to lead her along. Of course she assumes I'm human and can do human things.

Alex: There are all kinds of things you can do with her. Take her to movies, to dances, for a ride, to dinner…and if you want to learn what to do, buy a couple of teen magazines or watch some TV. I think it will come naturally, even for you. As for your second thing…I don't know. I guess just don't let it get too serious. But you can be her friend and do some things with her like what I suggested. You don't have to promise to marry her. Isabel and I aren't even that far along. Someday, maybe we will be…hopefully.

Devin: But you and Isabel aren't so different that you couldn't get married and have kids. I couldn't even get a marriage license.

Alex: We think we can have kids…we are enough different it might not work. I'm hoping time will tell on that one.

Devin: I just don't feel right about this. I just know someday I'll have to hurt her by telling her what I am…or worse yet she'll find out by herself and hate me.

Alex: But, you'll also hurt her if you reject her now. You've done something to make her like you. That's a big step. And there's no reason she has to find out, now or ever. I know she won't be looking at your butt.

(Alex and Devin laugh!)

Devin: She might want to.

Alex: Obviously, it can't go that far. You can always call it off if it gets too sexual.

Devin: But I like the sex part…at least what I've experienced. I still have no explanation for why I can enjoy kisses on the neck. And when she unbuttoned my shirt and started rubbing my neck…

Alex: You didn't say she did that.

Devin: She did!

Alex: No wonder her boyfriend was ticked.

Devin: But Alex, I enjoyed it. I shouldn't have been able to feel it, but I really…

Alex: Man, you're hooked. Don't ask me for an explanation. I can help with the processor part of you, but beyond that, there's something that's unexplainable going on. Let it happen. I say you call her. Who knows? She may call it off with you, before you have to with her and you won't have to feel guilty. You may as well enjoy each other's company for a while, if it makes you both happy.

Devin: I've got to think about this some more. Thanks Alex for your advice. Is Michael back yet?

Alex: Yes, he's here. He and Max have been discussing something involving you.

Michael: Is that Devin on the phone?

Alex: Yes.

Michael: Let me talk to him.

Alex: Here's Michael.

Michael: Devin! Maxwell and I agree that if Riverdog came looking for me, it must be important. There's no way we can cut this vacation short. It wouldn't be fair to the others or Maxwell's mom and dad who paid for this. If you think you can pull off the charade, go out and see what's happening.

Devin: You'll have to tell me how to get there…and won't Riverdog be suspicious if I drive my car?

Michael: Good point. (To Max) Is there any way he could take your Jeep, Max. Riverdog would question his car.

Max: Tell him to go by my house and get it. He can tell Riverdog that he…you…borrowed it. Riverdog's seen my Jeep before. The tailgate is probably open and there's an extra key hidden under the back seat on the left side in a first aid kit.

(Michael tells Devin what Max said.)

Michael: And Devin…don't go near the sweat lodge. It's a long story, but that's one place I'll never go again. Riverdog knows that.

(Alex suddenly looks worried…)

Alex: What's happening, Michael?

Michael: Riverdog came and asked me…Devin…to go to the cave. Something weird is happening out there. I'm telling Devin to pretend he's me and go check it out.

Alex: Oh man…

(Alex grabs phone from Michael.)

Alex: Devin, Alex again…be extremely careful, man. I don't know what Riverdog will do if he figures out your not Michael, but I do know what will happen to you if you say the wrong things to him about Michael and the others. I forgot about Riverdog when I gave you permissions to talk about alien origins to those that know. My bad! I keep screwing things up for you, Devin. I'm sorry! I really am trying to help.

Michael: You mean if he talks to Riverdog about what we are…?

Alex: Right, no more Devin as we know him.

(Michael takes the phone back.)

Michael: It may be too dangerous for you, Devin. Riverdog does know about us. I'm not sure you can avoid talking about it… Devin: I think I can. I'll try it. I'll have to. I know whatever's happening out there must be important, so I better go check it out. If he brings up you know what, I'll just make a joke; something like, "I wouldn't know about that." Ask Alex if that will work.

(Michael and Alex discuss the situation. They tell Devin that if he never vocalizes anything about it, he should be OK.)

Devin: OK, guys! I'll go out there in the morning so I can get back in time for work. I can't really talk on the phone at the Crashdown, so I'll have to wait until after work to call you. Should I call this same number?

Michael: Yes…and we'll try and be here. Thanks for doing this, Devin.

Devin: You're welcome.

(Hangs up phone.)

Maria: Did you actually thank Devin for something?

Michael: Yeh…he's endangering himself to help us. I thought it was appropriate.

Maria: I thought he was a virtual non-entity to you.

Michael: All I can say is, he's earning my trust. Maybe he'll be OK to have around.

Alex: That's what I'm hoping for him. At first I couldn't wait for him to be gone, but now…

Max: (Changing the subject.) Hey…are Liz and Izzy coming down, Maria.

Maria: I think so. I probably better go back up until your mom's bed check happens.

Michael: Hurry back, lovely.

Alex: (With a twinkle in his eye.) And if you have any girlfriends, bring 'em along.

(Another vacation day ends. Even on vacation, the gang has their challenges don't they? Can they still have fun while worrying about what's going on in Roswell? Did Alex give Devin the correct advice? Can Devin still make people think he's Michael? Tune in next time and find out. The 'We Six" will survive. They have to. The B.S. Network has too few ratings successes and the "We Six" have been doing better than many of the network's offerings. One of them is coming up right now, so stay tuned. It's The B.S. Network Cooking Show, today featuring tips on how to cook a turkey without stuffing it. Today's installment is titled "Undressed"!

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.