FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Backfire"
Part 2
by Christina D
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters except Paige - our good fourth alien. Paige=good, Tess=bad!
Summary: Michael wishes that he could go back to before Max saved Liz after they escape from a government compound and it comes true but not without certain stipulations.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Michael held Maria to his chest tightly as the sherrif's truck drove back to Roswell and thought about all the things that had happened in the last six weeks.

It had been his fault they had gotten caught. He had lost control of his powers when Sheriff Valenti had demanded that they tell him what was going on and once again, Michael had started running off at the mouth, getting more and more angry by the moment and he had lost it. His powers flew out of him. The street lights had flickered and then exploded right on the main street and then all the car alarms had gone off. Windows had shattered, tires had blown out. And the wrong people had been watching. The kind of people who worked for the government.

They had all been there. Michael, Maria, Max, Liz, Isabel, Alex and Kyle who had been with his dad. They had all been taken except for the Sherrif who had been butted in the back of the head with a gun and left to die on the ground. But somehow, he had survived. And he had come to save them, sacrificing his own life for their freedom.

The seven teens had been blindfolded and tossed into the back of a van. They had driven forever and were finally taken into a huge lab where they had been locked up like animals. Some time after they had arrived, a new person was brought in, a girl. Paige was her name. She had raven black hair which fell from her head in long waves down to her bottom and round green eyes that slanted down at the corners. Kyle had taken to her immediately. When they had asked why she was there, she had informed them that she was an alien.

While they were in there, they had had been interogated about their origins, which they had no answers to give. Tests had been conducted on all of them including Maria, Liz and Alex. They wanted to see if exposure to the aliens had changed the humans at all. The tests they had performed on the aliens had been much worse. They had been painful and left all of them scared. They probably would have been killed if Sherrif Valenti hadn't shown up that morning and freed them. They didn't know how he did it, but he had found them. He had snuck into the compound after planting bombs around the exterior and came to release them. He tried to escape with them but they had discovered that he was there and he had been shot right before their eyes. With his last few breaths, he gave Kyle his keys, told him where the truck was located, told them there was a file they needed to get from the house and told him that he loved him. Then he had died and they had all ran for their lives.

*****

They stopped at the side of the road before they entered Roswell. They weren't sure that they could just drive in and not be seen. "What should we do?" Max asked the group.

"We have to be inconspicuous. I have an idea." Kyle reached up to the front of the seat for the car phone and quickly dialed a number by memory. "Tommy, yeah it's Kyle. No, I'm okay really. Look, we need your help right away. We're right outside of town in my dads truck. Bring your mom's van. Look, I can't explain right now. Yes, I'm sure. You'll come then? Great. See you in five." He hung up the phone. "Tommy is on his way."

"Who's Tommy?" Paige asked. She really didn't know anything about their lives in Roswell.

"He's a good buddy of mine," Kyle answered as he sat back in his seat and put his arm around Paige.

"Can we trust him?" Max asked doubtfully, remembering that Tommy had been one of the guys who had beat him up.

"Yeah, we can trust him," Kyle reassured him. "He can be a real jerk sometimes but he's loyal and he won't ask too many questions."

"Well, I don't care what you say. I'll never trust that prick. Not after what he did to Max," Michael muttered.

Kyle looked over at him and said, "Hey, I'm sorry if you don't trust him but we don't have much choice right now. We need to get to my house and driving in the my dad's truck is going to bring too much attention to us. It's Tommy or nothing. Besides, we have to go get that file."

"Fine," Michael grumbled. What Kyle said made sense, they did need to get that file but as soon as they were there, they would make plans to get out of Roswell forever. "I know you guys are going to hate this but no parents!"

"But we have to let them know we're okay," Isabel protested.

"My mom has to be terrified," Maria whimpered.

"Look," Michael broke in. "We can contact them after we leave Roswell but not now. They're probably being watched, their phone lines are probably tapped and that's the first place everyone will look for us. Going to Kyle's is risky enough."

Everyone was quiet for a moment and finally Max nodded. "You're probably right. We'll call them from a pay phone when we get out of town or something."

Tommy showed up a minute later in his mother's van and they all filed in the back. "What are you doing with them, man?" Tommy asked nodding to Max and Michael.

"It's a long story," Kyle sighed. "Drive to the alley behind my house. We need to slip in the back."

"Whatever you say buddy," Tommy replied and drove them to Kyle's house without asking any more questions.

When they got there, Tommy slowly drove into the alley behind the Valenti house and turned off the lights. He could feel that they needed to be as inconspicuous as possible. About a hundred feet from the house, he turned the engine off and let it glide the rest of the way. "Are you going to be okay?" he asked his friend.

Kyle leaned over and shook his hand. "I sure hope so. Please don't tell anyone that you did this."

"Of course," Tommy said as if it were completely obvious that he would keep his mouth shut.

"It's important that you pretend that you never saw me, never heard from me or any of us. Our lives depend on it. We're leaving town and I'll write soon to let you know what's going on. But there will be no return address just in case mail in this town is being watched." Kyle realized that he was wandering and cleard his throat. "We really need to go. Thanks, bud."

"Hey no problem."

Kyle nodded and then stepped out of the passenger seat and opened the sliding door on the side of the van and everyone slid out quickly. It was dark so they were real quiet when they walked to the back of the house. Kyle walked over to a huge flower-pot and easily picked it up, pulling out a key which he used to open the back door.

"Stay here," he whispered. "I'm gonna check it out."

"I'm going with you," Michael said. "If there is anyone in here, you won't be able to take them by yourself. Everyone, squat down until we get back." He added as they both slipped in the back of the house.

Everyone followed his instructions and squated down, nervously looking around for anyone that may be watching them. They all jumped when they heard the sound of glass shattering.

"Oh my God," Maria breathed. "What do you think is going on?" she asked the others.

"I'm sure it was nothing. They probably just walked into something in the dark," Max replied. "They'll call us if they need us."

Maria nodded. Then, they heard a huge commotion come from inside. There was more glass broken and a huge crashing noise and Maria cried out. "Michael! What's going on?" There was obviously a struggle going on and she could not stop herself from running in after them. Everyone followed her.

She screamed when she saw Michael and Kyle wrestling with someone dressed completely in black on the ground. The kitched table was laying lopsided on the floor with two of the legs collapsed and there was broken glass all over the place. Michael looked up at the sound of her voice and yelled, "Get out of here Maria. We're handling it!" But she only screamed again as the guy's fist flew up into Micahel's jaw. He swore and then focused all his attention on the masked man and he and Kyle pounded on the guy until he was completely unconscious.

"Fuck!" Michael screamed as he got up. "Will this never end?"

Maria ran to him and threw her arms around his neck. "Are you okay?" she asked, sobbing lightly.

He wrapped his arms around her and nodded into her shoulder. "Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry."

"Come on," Kyle hissed. "There may be more of them around."

"Good idea," Michael agreed. "But first, we should tie this guy up in case he comes to."

"Michael's right," Max said. "Do you have any rope?"

"No," Kyle shook his head. "But I've got something better. I'll be right back." He disappeared for a few more moments and when he returned, he had handcuffs in his hand. He opened them up and then dragged the guy over to one of the walls and locked him up to one of the legs of the hutch in the kitchen. "He's not getting away from this," he muttered. "Now, let's go down to the basement. That's where dad kept his files."

Everyone followed him quickly down to the basement and they saw that there were several file cabinets against one wall. "Everyone take one," Max said. "What's the file were looking for again Kyle?" he asked.

Kyle froze. All of the sudden he couldn't remember the name his father had told him. "It was...shit! I can't remember. Wait, it was...Sesame Street!"

"Sesame Street?" Michael scowled, raising an eyebrow. "Why would he call it Sesame Street?"

"Because it's more conspicuous than Max, Isabel and Michael are aliens," Isabel snorted.

They all fell quiet and hurriedly began to sort through the files. Time seemed to stretch on for them and they still couldn't find it. Michael was the last to finish going through the files and he slammed the drawer closed with a cry of frustration. "Nothing! Where the hell is it?"

"Hey, there's another file cabinet over here," Maria said and everyone turned to look where she was peering behind a stack of boxes. She glanced at Michael and said, "Help me move these boxes."

He walked over and began to easily push boxes aside. Alex, Max, and Kyle all helped and in no time the hidden file cabinet was completely exposed. Michael pulled open the top drawer and right away found the file. It was the only one in there. It was in a manilla envelope.

He tore the envelope open and dumped it's contents on the desk and everyone formed a circle around the desk, their eyes widening as they saw what was in the mysterious file.

Part 1 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.