FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Backfire"
Part 1
by Christina D
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters except Paige - our good fourth alien. Paige=good, Tess=bad!
Summary: Michael wishes that he could go back to before Max saved Liz after they escape from a government compound and it comes true but not without certain stipulations.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
"RUUUNNNN!!!!" Michael yelled as they fought to get out of the compound the eight of them had been trapped in for the last five weeks. The electric door was closing on them and they still had twenty feet to cover if they wanted to get out.

Maria ran as fast as she could, ignoring the burning in her limbs. The others, Michael, Max, Liz, Kyle, Isabel, Paige, the alien they met in the compound, and Alex did the same.

When they reached the door, Max yelled "We need to jump!! GO GO GO!!!" They all jumped out of the door, Michael being the last one out and ran for cover.

"DON'T STOP YET!!! KEEP GOING!!" Michael yelled. They all ran towards the large rocks a few hundred feet away and then all hid behind them, Michael covering Maria's body with his and Alex doing the same to Isabel, Max to Liz, and Kyle to Paige.

"Duck!" Max yelled over the cried of his friends as the compound exploded into a fiery inferno. Shrapnel from the building flew in all different directions and a large blade of medal hit Kyle in the back.

He screamed in agonizing pain but didn't stop shielding Paige.

When the initial blast was over and the debris stopped flying, Kyle fell to the ground in pain and Paige cried out. "Kyle! What's wrong?"

Everyone crowded around them and saw that Kyle was fighting to keep conscious and there was a pool of blood forming under him. "NO!" Paige yelled and then turned him over and put her hands on her back. But her powers were too weak to heal him. "I need your help guys. Please, he's dying!"

Paige reached out for Isabel's hand and Max took hers and Michael took his. They all fed her power and Kyle was healed almost instantly. The power had been enough.

"Now, let's go!" Maria cried. "Valenti, Kyle's dad said he left the truck behind these rocks. Come on!!"

Paige and Max helped Kyle up and they all ran around the rocks.

"There it is!" Kyle yelled. "Can any of you guys drive stick?"

"Here!" Max said, holding his hands out for the keys. He caught them as they flew towards him and he quickly unlocked the door with shaky hands from all the adrenaline running through his system.

Michael screamed. "Fuck Max! Hurry! They could still be on their way!! Hurry!!"

Max threw the door open and hit the automatic locks. Everyone grabbed for the handles and haphazardly piled in.

"MAX!! THEY'RE HERE!" Liz screamed when she saw a black car coming from the side, dust flying behind it.

"GO! Drive, drive, drive!!!" Michael screamed.

"NOW MAX!!" Isabel's voice joined the chorus.

Max threw the truck in reverse and peeled out, when he had enough clearance, he threw it in drive and slammed his foot on the gas. The truck sped out of the desert at nearly 110 mph, dirt and gravel blinding their vision out of the car that was chasing them.

"Faster Max! They're right behind us!" Maria cried as she caught sight of the other car right behind them.

"I'm going as fast as I can!" Max replied trying to push his foot harder on the gas but the pedal was down as far as it could go. He nervously looked into the rear-view mirror, trying to see how far behind them they were.

"WHOA, WHOA, WHOA MAX!!!" Kyle screamed, kicking the back of his seat to get his attention.

"MAX, THE CLIFF!!" Liz's hand gripped his shoulder and his heart jumped into his throat as he pulled a sharp right to avoid going over the edge of the cliff a twenty feet in front of them.

Everyone screamed when the truck tilted on two wheels but finally the truck righted itself and they were speeding out of the desert again. Michael looked behind him and couldn't see any sign of the black car behind them.

"Where did they go?" Maria asked, her head darting around desperately. She didn't see them either.

"I think they're gone!" Michael announced.

Just then, the truck was jolted forward as the black car appeared directly behind them and Liz, who was sitting in the passenger seat was thrown forward, smacking her head on the dash.

"LIZ!" Max cried, leaning out to check on her but he had to retreat when the truck began to spin.

"I'll take care of her!" Michael yelled. "Just keep going!"

"Is she okay?" he asked desperately.

Michael leaned forward and pulled her back to her seat. Max screamed when he saw the blood spilling over her forehead but Michael checked her pulse. "She's fine. She's just unconscious."

"We've got her Max," Paige said, leaning up with Michael, smoothing the hair out of Liz's face. "We'll Make sure she's okay. Just go!"

The truck was jolted forward again and Max yelled, "Hold on everyone! Michael, hold on to Liz!" Then he threw the wheel to the right. The truck didn't tilt this time but everyone was tossed around.

Michael's head shot backwards at the same time that the black car slammed into a outcrop of tall rocks, bursting into flames.

Max continued to drive at the truck's top speed until they reached the main highway. They didn't know where they were but Max stayed on the road until they came to a small restaurant on the side of the road.

"We can't stop here Max. We need to keep going!"

"Go where Michael? We don't even know where we are!" Max replied, stopping the truck right behind the restaurant and leaning over Liz. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine Max but Michael is right. We need to keep going!" Paige informed him.

"Where?"

"Keep heading north as fast as we can. We're in a squad car so you won't get pulled over."

Max leaned over and kissed Liz on the forehead and then turned the car back on and pulled it out cautiously. The coast was clear so he floored it and continued to drive north until they found out where they were; 40 miles away from Roswell.

"Should we go home?" Alex asked.

Maria said, "I don't know if that's a good idea. They could be looking for us there!"

"We have to take that chance," Max argued. "We need to get to Kyle's. We'll hide the truck and get inside while we figure out where we should go."

"Are you sure about that Max?"

"Yes Isabel. I'm sure. We have nowhere else to go yet."

"Beside," Kyle added. "We need to get that file that my dad was talking about before he..." he couldn't continue.

Isabel reached over and squeezed his hand. "I'm so sorry Kyle. He knew what he was doing when he came to rescue us and he did it so we could all live. He's a hero."

"I know," Kyle agreed. "But now I have no one. My mom and dad are both gone. I have no family."

"We're your family, Kyle. You'll always have us," Maria said softly and then leaned her head against Michael's chest.

Michael wrapped his arms around her and kissed the crown of her head. "We're free," he whispered.

"That remains to be seen," Maria replied and closed her eyes.

Everyone rode back to Roswell in grim silence.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.