FanFic - Max/Liz
"Trading Places"
"Handling the Truth"
Part 4
by Rachel
Disclaimer: I don't own the show Roswell, nor the characters. Pathetic, isn't it?
Summary: Ok, this is like a millisecond after Part 3. How did Liz know Max was hiding around the corner? And why did she let him eves-drop?
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
"Max, you want to come out now?" Liz's question froze Max in place. She saw me? How long had she known I was here? The questions popped into his head.

Max decided the best thing to do was just go out there. So he slowly rose from his hiding place and walked out around the corner. "Look Liz, I, uh, I didn't mean to"

"Max, it's ok. I figured you needed to hear that. You seemed a little unsure this morning. I mean everything I said to Kyle. Every word." Liz closed the space between her and Max so that they were standing there eye to eye.

"How long did you know I was back there?" Max regretted asking that the instant it came out of his mouth. But it was too late now.

"Remember when I looked away from Kyle the first time? I ended up looking right at you. I saw you duck, so I figured you'd caught the whole thing. It seemed kinda pointless to talk to you. By then Kyle could have made a better argument." Liz tried to make the last part a joke, but it didn't work to well.

"Thanks...for what you said...but I think I was acting weird for a different reason than you think."

"What is it, Max?"

"That's the thing, I'm still trying to figure it out."

"Max?" Isabelle called coming out into the alley.

"Yeah?"

"You should probably come back. Mom and Dad are starting to wonder if you're getting a bladder infection or something."

Max blushed. "Hey, I really should get going. I'll find you later and we'll talk. Okay?" Max said to Liz before turning and leaving with his sister.

Max flopped down on his bed. He was trying to make sense of what he heard Liz say to Kyle. The best thing he could think of was that everybody had some form of amnesia and now think that Liz, Alex, Maria, and Kyle were the former aliens instead of himself, Isabelle, Michael, and Tess.

Maybe the rival aliens that attacked my home planet did this to keep me from getting back, he thought. Nasedo had said something about that the communicators could signal someone besides their people. That must be it, Max thought. It was the only logical answer because he didn't get back till way late last night, so they must have done it during the afternoon when everybody else was back.

"But how am I going to fix this?" Max said out loud.

"Max?" Mrs. Evans said outside his door.

"Yeah?" Max said getting up.

"Liz is here to see you. Do you want me to send her in?"

"Yeah, that's be fine." Why is Liz here, Max wondered.

"Hey," Liz said walking into Max's room.

"Hey," Max said.

"Uh, you said that, well, that there was some other reason for why you were acting weird. That you still weren't sure what it was. And I, uh, I thought that maybe we could try and figure it out. Maybe if you talked about it it'd be easier to figure out."

"You sure you want to hear this? 'Cause it's pretty messed up."

"Whatever it is Max, you can tell me." Liz walked over and sat on the bed. Max sat down next to her and looked her in the eye.

"Uh, well, uh, I don't know how to say this. So I'm just going to say itfor some reason I have completely different memories than everybody else."

"What?! How?!" Liz asked in a rush. Max put his finger on her lips quieting her.

"I don't know. I just do. Somehow. What I've figured out is that you, Kyle, Maria, and Alex were aliens in like a past life, but now are genetically advanced humans. Am I right?" Liz nodded her head. "Well, the way I remember it, it was me, Isabelle, Michael, and Tess who were the former aliens"

"What?!" Liz said interrupting Max.

"I don't know how, but that's how I remember everything. Liz? If I'm a normal human and you super-human, I'm guessing that our situation happened differently than I remember. How did I find out about you?"

"We were doing a field biology project at the beginning of the year. You fell off a cliff and got pretty mangled up. There wasn't a phone nearby and I didn't have a cell phone yet so I healed you. You freaked and went straight to Isabelle.

"And somewhere in there she decided that it would be best if we got another person we could trust and convinced me to tell Michael. And Tess found out 'cause she saw me use my powers. So I think that about sums it up?"

"Ok, I am so close to freaking out here. Liz that's like, exactly the opposite from the way I remember it. The way I remember it, you were shot while working at the Crash Down and I healed you. You ended up having to tell Maria because she threatened to tell Sheriff Valenti everything that happened. Then you told Alex later on when Valenti had you two in jail 'cause people shoved alcohol in your hands when he busted a party."

"And Tess moved here later. Like you remember, I think, only she was another pseudo-alien. And, well, according to a book she found, she and I were destined for each other, and Michael and Isabelle were destined for each other too." Max said everything in a rush. He was really freaked and was barely managing to make sense.

"Uh, Max, you really starting to freak me out now. How is it that you remember everything exactly the opposite? I mean, I don't think that I could have made that up if I wanted to. If this is a joke you should tell me now before I get really mad."

"Liz, it's not a joke. And I've been trying to figure it out. The best thing I can come up with is that my, uh, your, the alien race attacking the other alien race received the signal from the communicators. And somehow either messed with everybody's heads but mine while I was walking home from the cave. Or did that to me while I was walking home from the cave. I don't know which. God, this is so frustrating!"

"Max, I am this close to running out that door," Liz said holding her fingers an inch apart. "What the hell is up with you?"

"I don't know," Max said flopping back on his back. "Maybe it's just some weird form of amnesia. God, why is everything so messed up?"

"Amnesia makes a lot more sense. That whole evil-alien thing is really ridiculous. Here, let me see your head."

"Why?"

"I want to see if there's a bruise. Like maybe you hit your head." Max turned his back to her and she checked his head. "Nothing."

"Well, back to the original idea, huh?"

"No! I still think amnesia is the cause. If there is a cause. Please Max, just tell me this is a joke."

"Would that make you fell better?" Liz nodded her head. "Even if it was a lie? Then yeah, it's a joke. I devised it to see how much you trust me," Max said standing up.

Liz wrapped her arms around herself and turned her head. She didn't have a clue why Max was acting this way and was tired of humoring his amnesia idea. "That's not funny," Liz said still looking at anything but him.

"It wasn't meant to be," Max said still facing away from her.

"You know what, I'm not in the mood to play games," Liz said standing up. "When you're ready to really talk, you know where to find me." Liz walked towards the door. She was really mad at Max. Why is he doing this, Liz wondered.

"Liz, wait."

Finally! Liz turned around to find herself eye to eye with Max. "Yes?" Liz asked sassily.

"I love you. You know that right?"

"Yes, and I love you. So please tell me what is wrong with you."

"I did." Max leaned down and kissed Liz before she could argue with him. "Just trust me on this one, ok?" Max said. He was so close to Liz that she could feel his lips move with every word. She nodded and leaned closer for another kiss. She didn't know what was wrong with him. And frankly, she didn't care. She had almost lost him because of her destiny. She never wanted to think of losing him again. So she stood there kissing him until they both broke off for air.

"I really should be going now."

"What?! Why?" Max asked in a whining tone. He thought he got Liz to trust him again. So why was she leaving?

"I have a little thing called a job. It sorta demands my attention. But maybe I'll see if I can't get off early." Liz gave him a wink and turnedaround and left.

Ok, so now I just have to get a way to prove to Liz that I'm telling the truth, Max thought to himself. Only one problem, how am I going to do that?

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.