Fanfic - Max/Liz
"The Seed"
Part 5
by Lady Victoria
Disclaimer: All of these characters except for Nell, Conroy, and the Bishop, belong to WB.
Summary: Max and Liz uncover a secret about her past.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This may not be consistent with the show, but it can't be more confusing than Roswell's second season.
Isabel Ramirez nee Evans rolled over on her side and gazed at her husband lying directly across from her. He was so handsome, so loving and affectionate, and yet, did he love her? Would he love her if he knew the absolute truth about her? Isabel let her mind drift back to the day that her brother let Liz Parker in on their secret. According to Max, Liz had been frightened at first, but her love for him had conquered all of her fear. Jesse Ramirez certainly didn't seen to mind that he'd married a foundling, a girl who could tell him next to nothing about her past. Would tell him next to nothing. Why can't I tell him? Isabel asked herself. Why can't I trust him? Max told Liz. Would my husband's reaction to the news be any worse than hers? Isabel rolled onto her side and puched her pillow angrily. She had to stop asking herself these questions. When she did this, her thoughts just ran round and round like a mouse on an exercise wheel. She felt a kind of tingling suddenly. Someone was using his powers. Max or Michael. She could always tell. Her body grew tense, then relaxed. Healing, probably. In that case it was Max.

"Something wrong, Izzy?" Her husband's voice almost made her jump.

"Oh, no, Jesse. I'm just a little cold."

"Well, I can fix that." An arm came around her, and she was lost. She didn't know how much later it was when she awoke. Jesse was still asleep. She glanced at the clock. 6:30 am! Why could she never sleep late on a Saturday? Before her marriage, she hadn't really bothered with sleep too much. She didn't need as much as the average human and had spent a good many nights dreamwalking instead. A throwback from those days obviously. She glanced down at her husband again, fighting the urge to dreamwalk him. Then, she heard something hit the window with a slight click. She got up and went to the window. Max was standing on the doorstep. She raised the window.

"Max?" she asked. "What are you doing up this early?" She wasn't too sure she wanted to know the answer. If he had pulled a healing job, something was definitely up.

Max was gracious enough to look contrite. "I know it's early, and I'm sorry to wake you."

"I was awake anyway, but Jesse's still sleeping. What's happened?"

"You can always tell, can't you? Can you come for a walk? Leave Jesse a note. Say you're going for a run. Please. I need your help."

"What sort of help?" Isabel asked warily.

"Dreamwalking." Isabel could tell from the look on her brother's face that this was serious.

"Shall I bring my yearbook?" Max nodded. Isabel managed to dress quickly and scribbled a note. Gone for a run. Back in time for breakfast. Love,Isabel. She hoped that she would be back. If this problem were serious, well, she never knew. She left the house and cautiously closed the door. She and Max walked a ways without speaking. Then he dropped a bombshell.

"Liz's father had a heart attack." Isabel halted.

"My God, did you try to . . ."

"I only slowed it down. I didn't leave a handprint this time."

"And he's all right?" Max nodded. "Thank God for that. But where do I fit in?"

"You know that Liz is starting to exhibit powers?" Max asked. His sister nodded, and he went on. "Has Jesse?"

"No! Why . . ." Isabel stopped for a moment as understanding reached her. "His broken nose. Of course. No, Max, he hasn't. I almost wish that he would. Why? You want me to dreamwalk him?"

Max shook his head. "No, Kyle and Liz."

Isabel blinked. "Liz? I thought she was in Vermont."

"She came back. She knew that something had happened, that I'd used my powers. She knew just like you did. She told me about the changes, not too much, though. She says she's not going back to Vermont, that she's going to stay here."

"That's great, Max. I'm glad she's back, but why do you need me to dreamwalk her? And Kyle too? If she's going to tell you everything . . ."

"I'm not sure, Isabel. I just feel that she's holding back. Remember she's held out on me before."

"About Kyle, you mean. I see. You're a jealous, green-eyed monster."

"No, that's not it. I talked to Kyle today. He told me he wasn't experiencing any changes, but I couldn't be sure he was being honest with me. His father was there, and . . ."

"Oh, yes. Poor Sheriff Valenti. He's had more than enough alienism to last him a lifetime. You think if Kyle was experiencing anything, he wouldn't tell his father?"

"Not right away, no. But it might come out in his dreams. And Liz . . . I just can't be easy about her, Isabel. I just think she's in danger."

"OK, Max. You've talked me into it, but if Liz finds out about it, I'll have to tell her I was obeying the king." By this time they had reached the park and settled down on a bench. Isabel opened the Roswell High yearbook.

"Start with Kyle." Max suggested. Isabel ran her fingers lightly over Kyle's picture, then leaned back and closed her eyes. In a flash she was . . .standing in the front doorway of her house. Kyle was standing on the doorstep.

"If the car needs work, you know I can handle it, Isabel." Isabel stared. She was standing behind herself in Kyle's dream. The dream Isabel gave a conspiritory smile.

"Well, so can I, Kyle. I can fix the car, and it wouldn't cost me a cent."

"I wouldn't charge you. You know that." Both Isabels jumped. The way that Kyle said those words, the look in his eyes. . . it was very disconcerting.

"Kyle . . ." the dream Isabel began, but Kyle interrupted.

"Besides, you can't keep on using your powers like that. Jesse might start to suspect something."

"Well, if he does suspect, I'll tell him the truth."

"I don't believe you would. You're too afraid!" Isabel couldn't believe what she had "walked into." The words were flung out like a challenge.

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are. He's come close so many times, and you keep putting him off. You won't tell him because you're afraid he won't love you, that he won't want you any more! Well, I don't have that problem, Iz. I know what you are and I don't care!" He moved up towards her in the doorway.

"Isabel?" It was Jesse's voice, and both Isabels saw the look of hostility on Kyle's face. Isabel pulled herself out of the dream with a violent wrench.

"Izzy?" Max sounded concerned. "Izzy, what was it? What did you see? Changes?"

It took her a second to catch her breath. "No . . . Max, he loves me."

"Who? Kyle?" Max was incredulous.

"Yes. In the dream he was talking to me, telling me that if I told Jesse the truth, Jesse wouldn't love me or want me, but HE WOULD! Oh, Max, it was like when I walked in Alex's dream but . . .different. He looked as though he hated Jesse. I never would've guessed!" Max was silent for a while, letting his sister collect her thoughts.

"Look, maybe I'd better just take you home now. We can finish this some other day. You've had quite a shock."

"No, Max. I'll do it now. Besides, if you're right and Liz is in danger, it's best not to wait. Just give me a minute. I'll be fine. But looking at his sister's pale face, Max couldn't help but wonder.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.