Fanfic - Max/Liz
"The Seed"
Part 4
by Lady Victoria
Disclaimer: All of these characters except for Nell, Conroy, and the Bishop, belong to WB.
Summary: Max and Liz uncover a secret about her past.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This may not be consistent with the show, but it can't be more confusing than Roswell's second season.
When Max left the hospital, it was close to 6 am. Liz had told him to crash at Michael's place, and she and her mother would go home later. Jeff would spend the day at the hospital for observation and come home the next day. Max envied Jeff. Not the hospital part. He hated hospitals. They constantly reminded him of the White Room, but being able to crash and just sleep . . .Max really envied him that. He wished that he could crash at Michael's right now, but something kept nagging at him. First that image he'd gotten from Jeff about the pregnant woman and the baby, then that strange woman that Liz called her godmother. Not really the godmother type, Max would've thought on first sight. Not the type to wave a magic wand and say 'bibbittey-bobbitty boo,' but there was something mysterious about her.

"Maybe I'm just seeing smoke where there isn't any fire." Max told himself, but it never paid to be careless in his position. He cast Nell from his mind and steeled himself for his upcoming interview with Kyle Valenti. The last time they parted they hadn't been on the best of terms, and Max hoped he wouldn't pull the bitter ex-boyfriend routine today. "If he's experiencing any changes, I hope he'll be honest with me." Max told himself as he pulled into the Valenti's driveway. Kyle answered the bell. He didn't look pleased to see him, but at least he wasn't slamming the door in Max's face. He blinked once or twice as if he wasn't quite sure who he was seeing.

"You look like death warmed over." Kyle said. Max felt a trifle relieved. Same old Kyle. His attitude hadn't changed.

"I feel like it too. I've been up all night. May I come in?" Kyle thought for a minute, then nodded. Max followed him into the kitchen where Kyle was obviously finishing up breakfast. A half empty bowl of Wheaties sat on the table along with a glass of orange juice. The sports page of the morning paper lay on the floor.

"If you want to see my dad, you'll just have to wait. He's still asleep."

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you." Again Kyle looked uncertain.

"What about?"

"Changes. The kinds of changes Liz is having."

"So you know about those?" Kyle sat down again at the kitchen table. Max nodded.

"I want to know if you've been experiencing anything like that." Kyle picked up the newspaper and pretended to read. He was obviously sulking. "Please, Kyle. If you are, you should tell me."

"You sound concerned. I'm very touched."

"I am. If there are changes, then I'm probably responsible. I have a right to know. You might need help . . ."

"I don't need any help from you! You got me into this mess, me, my dad and Liz. If you think I want a ------- thing from . . .ahhhhh!!" He ended with a gasp of surprise. The newspaper had suddenly burst into flames and was burning in his hand. Kyle dropped it to blow on his fingers, and Max doused the fire. Kyle blew on his hand, shaking it back and forth. Max closed a fist over Kyle's fingers and concentrated. The burn disappeared.

"Seems like you always need my help, Kyle, whether you want it or not."

Kyle gave a splutter. "Don't do anything like that again!"

"Then you watch your language!" Max locked eyes with Kyle, and Kyle's were the ones that dropped. "Look, Kyle, don't fight me, because I might be your only way out of a tight situation. If you are experiencing changes, tell me. Liz has."

Kyle raised his head. "She has?"

"Yeah, her dad had a heart attack tonight." Max quickly filled Kyle in. The other boy let out a long sigh.

"No silver handprint?" he asked. Max shook his head. The two of them turned suddenly at the sound of footsteps in the next room. "Great. We woke up Dad." Kyle suddenly looked nervous. Jim Valenti entered the room.

"What's all the noise, Kyle?" Valenti broke off upon seeing Max. Usually when young Evans came calling, something strange was happening in the town of Roswell, and this morning Valenti wasn't in the mood to hear it. At least, not until he'd had his first cup of coffee. "Morning, Max. Anything I can help you with?"

"Max just came to tell me that Liz's dad had a heart attack." Kyle spoke quickly.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Will he be all right?"

"Doctors seem to think so. I spoke to Liz. I'd better be going. Sorry to have woken you up, Sheriff."

Valenti shrugged. "Don't worry. Time I got up anyway." Max went to the door, and Kyle followed him.

"Max?" His voice was barely a whisper, and Max was surprised to see that he looked grateful. "Thanks for not saying anything about the changes in front of Dad."

"You haven't told him?"

"I'm not having any, but if I told him about Liz, he'd really start to worry."

"Hey, Kyle!" Valenti called from the kitchen. "Where's the sports page?" Kyle looked exasperated, and Max touched his shoulder.

"He'll find it." he said. Valenti soon gave a triumphant cry, and Kyle smiled his thanks as Max left.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.