FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Pretend Game"
Part 2
by LivE
Disclaimer: Nothing Roswell is mine, sadly!!
Summary: This takes place shortly after the Pilot, but before Heat Wave. Circumstances lead to Max and Liz pretending to be dating… and sparks fly!
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Liz experienced a moment of complete panic. What if Max didn’t play along with her? She would look a complete idiot in front of Pam Troy of all people, that’s what!!! She determinedly kept the seductive smile on her face as she turned from Max to Pam. "Sorry Pam, but he’s taken!"

Emotions were whirling through Max at the speed of light. Overpowering delight, excruciating fear, giddiness, confusion, but…most of all he felt an overwhelming sense of love for Liz. He knew she was doing this because she thought it would help him. The possessiveness in her voice caused a sharp ache in his heart. In the space of a few seconds, Max came to a decision and Izzy and Michael were going to kill him…

Pam’s eyes widened as Max put his arm around Liz’s shoulders, squeezing her to his side. "Yeah, sorry Pam…", Max sounded anything BUT sorry.

Pam’s lips thinned in anger. She looked daggers at Liz and then turned to Max: "Sorry if I created the wrong impression! I just needed a walk to class, that’s all…" She stomped away in a huff. ‘He will soon get bored with the mousy one’, she thought. ‘I’ll just have to make sure that I’m the one he turns to when he comes to his senses…’

Liz barely heard her. She was too busy trying to cope with the intense wave of feeling that shot through her as a result of the physical contact with Max. Liz felt herself start to shake. His arm was warm and heavy and she had to fight the urge to turn into his embrace completely and snuggle into his chest. Then it hit her. She had just broken every rule she and Max had agreed upon! He was going to be so angry…but then, why did he play along with her? And why hasn’t he taken his arm from her shoulders yet…

Max was assailed by such a variety of sensations resulting from her closeness that he momentarily felt dizzy. She felt soft and warm and her silky hair was brushing his arm… he felt the contact to his toes. The urge to pull her body flush with his was powerful and he dragged air into his lungs to give him strength to do the opposite.

"Uhm…Liz…", his voice was hoarse and low and Liz felt each little vibration low in her stomach. "I…we…", he continued.

Liz was really afraid of what he was going to say. She ducked her head and cleared her throat, which was suddenly very dry: "Max, I’m sor-". She was interrupted by the first period bell. Oh rats, she had a test!!!

She pulled away from him and absently wondered about the ache that settled in her body at the loss of contact. "I have a test!", she practically yelled and took off towards her class.

"LIZ!", Max cried after her, causing her to halt and turn around slowly. She still couldn’t look at him though. "I…uhm…I’ll see you in Bio", his voice still sounded strained, like a million feelings were fighting to be expressed at once. She heard him take a deep breath and then: "We’ll talk…later."

She just nodded and walked away. Stopping outside her, she leant against the wall with closed eyes, her breathing quick and agitated. Coming out of the fog that had seemed to envelope her in Max’s proximity, all she could think off was: ‘I attacked Pam Troy in front of half the school in a pretend jealous fit over MAX EVANS! NO!!! I’m NOT jealous! Max just needed help and that’s why I was pretending to be jealous… yeah, that’s it! I was pretending!’ The story of their alleged relationship was probably already spreading like wild fire through the school. Max Evans was one of the school’s most eligible and elusive guys and a LOT of girls would give their eyeteeth to go out with him. The fact that he had so resolutely held himself aloof from them all just increased his desirability. What were they going to do now? Everyone would think they were really dating… What were Isabel and Michael going to say? And she didn’t even want to THINK about Maria’s reaction! How was she going to explain her actions of this morning to one and all without losing every last shred of dignity she had in this school. She could just hear the comments about sad little desperate Liz Parker throwing herself at Max Evans. Liz realized she was in BIG trouble!

************************************

Max had trouble concentrating during class. Those few moments close to Liz had completely destroyed his normally calm and controlled little world. He has always loved her from afar. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen and he knew every little thing about her, but now he realized something else. He wasn’t just in love with her; he wanted her with an intensity that scared him. He had never kissed any girl before, but he just knew it would be explosive with Liz. He wanted to kiss her mouth until he was drunk with her taste. He wanted to feel her body against his. He wanted to feel her skin next to his and run his hands over every inch of her silken skin. He wanted…but no! He couldn’t…SHOULDN’T want such things! He squeezed his eyes shut in an effort to cope with the pain slicing through him at this thought.

There must be some way that he could at least be closer to her! His mind raced with possibilities and problems. And finally, a small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. Maybe this pretend relationship wasn’t such a bad idea, as long as he didn’t allow it to become too intense. He could be with her, without really being WITH her. He just wouldn’t allow them to become too close physically and emotionally. ‘Yeah,’ Max thought, ‘I can handle that!’ He took another deep breath, trying not to dwell on the feelings that crashed through him at the thought that, at least in the eyes of the world, Liz Parker would be his…

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.