FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 2: The Anasazi Road"
Part 26
by Carol
Disclaimer: I would be the happiest woman on Earth if I owned any of these people, but sadly, only Josh, the Holbrooks, and Paul Hernandez are mine.
Summary: This is the sequel to EPIPHANIES 1: The Ties That Bind. It picks up the evening of the Evans barbeque that ended the first story. Here, Max and Liz must come to terms with a shocking revelation about Liz and her Grandma Claudia. They search the past among Native American ruins and history to find the truth and each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I have done extensive research on the Anasazi for this fic. Most of what you will read is either factual or widely accepted speculation. I have, on occasion, filled in a gap or made an assumption that suits my purposes. The alien connection, of course, is my own Roswell-loving imagination.
"What's wrong, Isabel?" asked Alex, worried over Isabel's quiet brooding.

"I can't shake the feeling, Alex. All day, I've had this feeling that Max is in trouble. I haven't been able to get into his head, though. It always works best if he's sleeping. I can't stand it that I don't know what's happening." "Maybe if you wait a little while, he'll fall asleep and you can try again."

"Yeah. Let's get out of here. Maybe over to Michael's. I can try again from there."

Alex gave her a hug. "It'll be okay, Isabel. They've got help up there." She nodded. Alex always made her feel better.

************

"Michael," Maria whispered into his ear. "Oh, Michael, this feels really good."

Michael covered her mouth with his, relishing the warmth of her body and her heart. Never in his wildest dreams had he ever thought someone could love him, knowing who he really was. The sense of acceptance and freedom that Maria had given him had finally broken down those mile-high walls of his, and he had let himself love for the very first time. He didn't know if she would ever understand what she meant to him, but he would spend a lifetime trying to tell her.

"Maria. Maria, I love you." She smiled into his neck, the words thrilling her as if she'd never heard them before.

"And don't you forget it, spaceboy," she teased. "Because nobody else would put up with you. I would say your alternatives are limited."

"Is that right?" he objected. "It so happens that Jessica Crawford slipped me a note on a napkin today at the Crashdown."

"What?" gaped Maria. "What did it say? That little hussy better keep her distance or I'll cram that napkin right down her throat!"

She heard Michael chuckling. "It doesn't look like I need alternatives," he laughed.

Maria slapped his shoulder and then threw her arms around his neck. "I hate you."

"Me, too," he mumbled as he rained kisses down her neck and toward her collarbone.

"Michael, maybe I should stay over tonight." She bit her lip as he drew back, surprised.

"What are you saying, Maria?"

"Well, it's just that . . . ."

At that moment, Isabel and Alex walked in.

"Whoa, sorry man," Alex apologized, beginning a hasty retreat.

"Isabel, what about knocking once in a while!" yelled Michael, but he got up off the couch and pulled them into the apartment. "What's so important you had to barge in here unannounced!"

"Something's wrong with Max, Michael. I've felt it all day. I need . . . we need someplace to hang out for a while, until Max goes to sleep, so I can try to get in."

"I'm flattered you thought to come here," sneered Michael.

Isabel gave him her haughtiest look. "It's not like you can't make out with Maria another time, Michael."

Maria switched on another light and sat up, curling up by Michael as he sat.

"Any idea what kind of trouble, Isabel? Or how bad?" asked Maria, frowning. "Liz is with him. If he's in trouble, so is she."

"No, just a bad feeling. Actually, I don't feel it anymore, but I did all day. I just want to make sure he's okay."

"Something interesting happened at the Crashdown tonight," Maria said, jumping as Michael gave her a jab in the ribs. "Isabel, I didn't know your mom and Mr. Parker were good friends."

"They're not. Why?"

"Well tonight . . . ."

"Maria! Do we have to talk about this now?" Michael interjected.

"Wait! What is it?" Isabel was curious now, and a little worried at Michael's resistance to telling her what happened.

"Your mom came in the Crashdown tonight. She and Liz's dad were in the back booth for like half an hour, holding hands and talking. Then she hugged him when she left. What was that all about, anyway?"

"My mom? I didn't even know they knew each other that well." Isabel looked confused, bordering on alarmed. "I'm sure it's nothing. Probably just talking about Max and Liz."

"That's gotta be it," Alex said confidently. No more was said on the subject, but Isabel continued to frown.

They watched the end of an old movie on television. Isabel yawned. "Maybe it'll work now. Come on, Alex." She stood, pulling Alex up behind her, and walked toward the bedroom.

Michael watched them, indignation on his face. "Excuse me? Where am I supposed to sleep?"

"You looked pretty comfy on the sofa when we came in." She smiled sarcastically and closed the bedroom door.

It didn't take long to fall asleep and she was in Max's mind instantly. It was dark, but she could hear sounds. She wandered forward, feeling her way. Then she saw it. Max and Liz, in his bed, making love. Damn him! That was not something she wanted to watch, and she was furious that she had been worrying for nothing. Well, she would get her revenge.

"Max!"

His head swung around as the image of Liz disappeared. "Isabel, what are you doing here!"

"Max, I've been worrying about you all day! I had a terrible feeling. I thought you were in trouble! I've been waiting until you fell asleep to find out what was wrong, and this is what I get for my trouble?"

"This is what you get for poking around uninvited," Max snapped, upset at having been caught in his favorite dream. He looked up at Isabel's troubled face and relaxed, remembering that her feeling had been warranted. "Actually, we were in trouble today. And I don't know if we're out of the woods yet, but we're okay for now. We're at Chaco Canyon with Mr. Hernandez, Liz's grandma's friend. We'll talk about it when we get home, okay?"

"You're sure you're okay? I've been upset all day."

"It was bad, Iz. But it's over. I'll tell everyone later."

"Okay." She was about to leave when she turned back around to her brother. "I'm probably scarred for life, now, Max. I'll need therapy to erase that image."

He rolled his eyes at her and fell back into a deep sleep. Isabel came awake in Alex's arms. "Everything okay?' he asked quietly.

"Kiss me," she said, and wrapped her arms around a surprised Alex.

Part 25 | Index | Part 27
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.