Fanfic - Max/Liz
"Night City"
Part 6
by Jill Finegold
Disclaimer: I wish I owned them. Then maybe we'd have some M/L good plots.
Summary: Max's 21st birthday. They're in their senior year of college, and that's all I'm sayin'.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Feedback is a must. Whatever you think; I'm all ears. Also, anything like *word* or **word** is an italic thingee. The latter is a memory.
Michael was skulking around in the alleyway, freezing his ass off. He had followed Maria around for another two hours, when she finally got so sick of him she had the house goons dump his sorry carcass out here. Now he lie in wait, positioning himself strategically for his next attack.

He heard the door to the alleyway screech open on its rusty hinges, and the foul-tempered muttering of an irate pixie follow. Aaaaaaaah, Maria, his little angel. Next came the loud clatter of a few Hefty bags being thrown into a half-filled dumpster. Glass rattled, and Michael decided to put his plan into action. He waved his hand and heard the last bag tear.

"Oh, godDAMN it! Like I haven't had enough to deal with tonight. Gee, thanks, whatever the fuck is up there. This is exactly what I fucking needed… GODDAMMIT!" Michael nearly laughed out loud when he heard Maria's rant, and decided it was time to put Phase Two into action. He stepped out from behind the dumpster.

"Hey, Maria," he smirked. Maria stopped short, shock written all over her features, her mouth hanging open. Then she galvanized into action, catching Michael off guard, again. She walked right up to him and kneed him in the groin.

Nausea swept over Michael as he bowed painfully to his knees. He let out a moan of pain, and hot tears began to well up in his eyes. He blinked furiously to get rid of them. He saw Maria begin to turn again, and probably saunter off with her nose in the air. He was really getting sick of this cycle and decided to end it once and for all.

"Maria," he ground out. "Wait. Please…I just wanted to say that I…love you. I always have," he groaned as another wave went through him. "I'm sorry about what happened…I shouldn't have said the things I did. I was angry, and scared. *I didn't mean to hurt you.*" Maria felt tears begin to well up in her eyes now. She pondered over what he said for a minute, all the while glancing at Michael, seeing in his eyes that his world depended on her answer. She kneeled down, staring him eye to eye. Then she leaned in and kissed him gently. Michael broke the kiss, looked into her eyes, and smiled.

"I take it you accept my apology?" Maria smiled back and kissed him again, and they both melted into it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------- Dawn found Maria and Michael curled up together in one of the dressing rooms. They were both sprawled out on the couch, basically clothed. Maria woke first, and tried to stretch out aching muscles. Cursing softly under her breath, she woke Michael up with a gentle shake.

"Morning, Spaceboy," she muttered in a thick voice. Michael cracked open his eyes, and upon seeing Maria, he broke into a wide grin.

"You're a sight for sore eyes," he happily told her. Maria grinned, and started to pick up various items of clothing off the floor. Other dancers shuffled by her, trying to ignore the couple on the couch, but failing miserably. An acquaintance of Maria's smiled and gave her a thumb's up sign. Maria blushed slightly, cleared her throat, and turned to Michael.

"So, Michael, uh…what now?" she asked tentatively. She knew how Michael operated; which was to say that she had no idea what to expect next. The alien was capable of surprising her in the most obnoxious and obscene ways. Michael cracked open his eyes and squinted at her. He didn't want a serious discussion about the future of their relationship at 7:10 in the morning. But the scared rabbit look on Maria's face decided that the discussion was going to be.

"We stick together. Take it one day at a time. Come here," he beckoned to her, seeing the relief spread over her face. She happily settled back into his arms, and Michael thanked his lucky stars for not having to have a long, drawn out discussion. He knew it would come, but he was spared for now. Sleep re-took the two, and they slumbered peacefully, blissfully un-aware of their surroundings. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------- Max watched the morning light spill over Liz's hair, illuminating her skin and bathing her in a golden light. God, she was beautiful. And now his. Max couldn't stop the ridiculous grin that spread over his face. He was just too happy. This was something that he had wanted for years, something he didn't truly believe was possible. But now…damn, he was lucky.

Liz and Max had woken up intermittently during the night to make love and discuss their future, sometimes doing it simultaneously. They had agreed to not spend another minute apart. They were going to graduate in about one month, so they decided to get an apartment in town and apply for jobs. They would get married soon, Liz had said. Whenever they were fully ready and secure. Max planned to make it sooner than she thought, for he had already been accepted to medical school. His father was pulling strings to get him a residency as well. Liz was already going to start labs at the University, helping the senior professors with their experiments in their latest break-through in microbiology. For the first time in a really long time, things were starting to look up.

Liz began to stir in his arms, turning her face to bury it in the crook of his neck. She rubbed her nose against his flesh, and murmured softly. Yawning, she slit her eyes open, and looked up at Max, giving him a really, really sleepy smile. Max grinned down at her and yawned. Liz giggled, and closed her eyes, savoring the feel of Max as her pillow. Max idly skimmed his fingers up and down her arm, enjoying the texture of her silky skin beneath his fingertips.

Suddenly, there was a loud, harsh knock followed by a low rumbling voice that jerked the two lovers wide-awake. Liz gasped, her eyes darting wildly around the room. Max went from incredibly relaxed to incredibly tense in about two seconds, sensing the fear in Liz. His arms went around her protectively without a conscious thought.

"LIZ!! Are you in there!? Answer me. You know it's a bad idea to keep me waiting, especially if I've got your money…" the voice boomed from behind the door.

"Leo," Liz hissed in way of an explanation to Max. "You've got to hide, if he catches you here…he gets jealous for no reason. It's irrational but true. Under the bed, quickly!"

Max complied, rolling swiftly under her bed and tugging the sheets down so that they draped over the side of the bed, hiding him effectively. He heard the mattress springs creak as Liz got up and crossed over to the door. He heard her apologize and the rattle of the doorknob.

"Leo, so nice of you to drop by. What did you want to see me for?" Liz's tone was a mix of sarcasm and sweetness. It was a fairly amusing combination, and Leo threw her a slimy grin.

"You got the house title, and the cash prize. But then you ran away. By the way, where *is* the young stud you dragged off? Friend of yours?" Max could practically see Liz blush, and she stammered some gibberish for a second. He decided to end it and rolled out from under the bed, clothed sufficiently in boxers and his own T-shirt. Leo grinned as Max strode easily over to him, offering Leo his hand.

"Max Evans. Liz's--"

"Old heart-throb," Leo finished for Max, eyeing him up and down. "So you two decided to…what? Take a trip down Memory Lane, or what? You know, she really loved you, man. Hope you deserved that." Max blushed, and Liz walked over to him, sliding her arm around his waist.

"I have loved her forever," Max admitted quietly in a husky voice. Liz's cheeks started to flame, as did his own, and Leo thrust the money at Liz.

"You gonna stick around?" he asked her, his eyes serious. Liz knew what he meant.

"No…think I'm gonna set up somewhere else…have someone else win the bread for once." She grinned at him, and Leo nodded.

"Final paycheck will be mailed. You should get it by Tuesday at the latest," he informed her, then sighed. "Gonna miss you, Parker. You've been good to me…and the Night Owl."

"That's Evans, from now on, Leo." Max could feel his heart swell when Liz said it. Tears began to sting his eyes, and he quickly blinked them away. Max tightened his hold on Liz, and she squeezed him back. Leo gave them both a lingering glance, and turned out the door. The second Liz locked it, Max crushed her mouth to his.

"Liz Evans," he breathed when he released her. "I like that."

"Not as much as I do," Liz grinned back, and then took his mouth back to hers. Things were definitely looking up.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.