Fanfic - Max/Liz
"My Love..."
Part 7
by Sabine
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and the situations are owned by Regency Television and 20th Century Fox. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Stirring slowly under the covers, Liz rubbed her nose on the soft pillow next to her face. She felt strangely peaceful as she raised her head and gazed out her window. It was closed, but it looked like cotton candy was sprinkled on the outside pane. This was an indication that the air was turning chilly. Liz was surprised to see that it was already dark outside and she could see lights sparkling down the street. She groaned and let herself fall back onto the mattress.

"How long have I been asleep?"

Noises from the Crashdown drifted upstairs so she knew it wasn't that late. A load of pots clamored to the floor, and she heard someone that sounded suspiciously like Michael, yelling at an unlucky bystander. The clock on her bedside table said it was seven thirty.

Her rather long nap had made her feel a little better. One point in Maria's favor. At least physically, her body seemed to be in better shape. However, her heart was still extremely impaired. It was bleeding profusely, ruptured beyond repair. Its constant reminder of her sorrow was making it hard for her to breathe.

"Come on Liz, try to get up. You're going to have to face the world sooner or later. Might as well get it over with," she said in a quiet voice. Inspecting her room, Liz vaguely remembered Maria changing her bed, lighting candles, picking out her clothes. The color combinations definitely had Maria's unique touch. Looking down at herself, she had to smile, these were Maria's favorite pair of flannel pj's.

**What would I do without Maria? She's so good to me. Although she's going to be demanding an explanation, pronto. At least we're not working tonight so I don't have to come up with an excuse 'til tomorrow morning.**

Liz slipped on a small tee-shirt with an alien head proudly positioned on the front, and swapped her flannel bottoms for pair of comfy black pants. Throwing her hair in a ponytail, she glanced into the mirror behind her door.

"I definitely need to get some new clothes. What's wrong with me?"

The tee-shirt someone had given her was yet another reminder of Max Evans. Reminders were not something she needed right now. Angry at herself for starting to cry again, Liz swept away her tears with the back of her hand, grabbed her trig book and stormed out of the room. She was planning on curling up on a bar stool and trying to get some work done downstairs. If she stayed alone, she would only collapse and drown in her sorrows. On the other hand, she had absolutely no desire to see any of her friends. Well, hopefully the pod squad was congregating somewhere else tonight.

Walking into the dinner, Liz scanned the room and relaxed when she didn't see them. Peeking into the kitchen she shrugged when she only saw Jose.

"I guess it wasn't Michael after all," she said to herself. Plopping down at the counter, she reached over and got herself a drink.

"I've got an order for three cherry cokes," Agnes called to the new waitress, Courtney, who had come to refill some glasses. Liz's chest tightened and she gripped the countertop with shaking hands.

**God, just hearing the words 'cherry coke' is enough to set me off. Figures. Those drinks couldn't be for them, no way. I didn't hear them come in...I didn't feel him, I didn't feel his presence like I usually do...it can't be them.**

Liz realized she was falling apart; she was also completely paranoid. Looking over her shoulder, Liz released the air from her lungs and slumped over in relief. They weren't inside the restaurant.

She settled down the best she could and opened her book to the right page. She hadn't gotten the homework for today, but that was just too bad. Letting the loud chatter from the customers blend into the background, she concentrated on equations. Equations were simple and straightforward, unlike most of her life.

She tried desperately not to fight every emotion that entered her body. It used up too much of her energy. Liz finally let her anguish and sorrow mingle with the other feelings which were racing through her. She let them seep through her protective shields. They were now completely and permanently a part of her, a part of Liz Parker. Only then was she able to concentrate, just barely, on the present task at hand.

**********

"So what's going on?!! I need an answer, I mean, Liz can't just broadcast her emotions like that. She not one of us. Jesus, why does everything have to be so complicated??"

Michael was pacing back and forth in the Evans living room. Mr. and Mrs. Evans were upstairs going over their latest case, so they didn't half to worry about interruptions. Isabel noticed Michael had picked up some interesting hand movements that reminded her distinctly of Maria. Mr. I'm-a-stone-wall kept insisting that things were over between him and Maria, but obviously there was more to the story. Trying not to laugh, Isabel covered her smile behind a perfectly manicured hand. Michael had halted directly in front of her and was giving her a steamy glare.

"Have you been listening to me?! I should have known you wouldn't be much help. Where the hell is Max? He's the one who should be dealing with this, not us. She's HIS soulmate, ex-girlfriend, whatever..." Michael sputtered. Isabel sighed, she had hoped Max would be better after school, but he only seemed to get worse.

"He's upstairs in his room, hopefully asleep. He's definitely not himself...it could have something to do with all of the pressure he's been under. With the skins and all. But I have this odd feeling it has something to do with Liz. She's been through a lot lately. I mean, you saw how she acted this morning."

Michael snorted in response and dropped down on the couch beside Isabel.

"What was up with Liz anyway? She sick or somethin'? She was really upset," Michael mumbled. His face resting in the palm of his hands. Isabel frowned while she pulled a blanket up from the foot of the couch, it was getting cold.

"I don't know, it was kinda weird. To say the least. She was acting in a totally NON Liz fashion. You should have heard her cussing me out, Maria flipped."

Isabel grinned at the memory, but it didn't change the fact that Liz was obviously out of sorts. Michael, on the other hand, was laughing so hard his face was bright red.

"Liz?!?" he gasped incredulously. "You've got to be kidding me!! What a landmark, should we give her an award?"

His sarcastic joking was wasted on Isabel, she slapped him on the arm.

"Hey! Don't make fun of her, Maria would kick your sorry ass all the way to California and back. Not that you'd mind it at all. You two have been practically killing each other!!? Are your sexual hormones stuck in overdrive? On second thought, leave me out of it. I have no desire to be involved in yours or Maria's love life."

Michael was spewing violently in denial. He waved off Isabel and went to see if he could crash with Max for the night. It was getting late and he had no intention of driving all the way across town, when he could just as easily spend the night at the Evans'. But halfway up the stairs, Isabel's now serious voice stopped his progress.

"But seriously Michael, I think we should try to get Max and Liz in the same room with each other. See how they react. Maybe whatever's going on will work itself out..."

"It's worth a try. All this angst is getting old."

That being said, Michael shrugged and turned around, his back disappearing up the darkened stairway. Warmth from the fireplace heated the living room. Under her blanket Isabel curled up and watched the sparks flicker endlessly. A glow from the leaping flames illuminated Isabel's skin. The effect was both exquisite and stunning. It wasn't so much her beauty, which was extremely apparent, but the radiant luster her skin dispensed. Ironically, this made her appear more "alien" than anything had in the last ten years.

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.