Fanfic - Max/Liz
"My Love..."
Part 10
by Sabine
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and the situations are owned by Regency Television and 20th Century Fox. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
The sky was inky black and a few clouds drifted between the stars. The clouds were wispy and seemed almost purple around the edges. There was no moon, and yet the sky's powerful darkness was still unusual. Liz was tossing and turning in her bed. The covers were twisted around her body and two of her pillows had fallen to the floor. She had been awake for the last half an hour. For some reason she couldn't get back to sleep, thus her eyes often strayed to her window.

Why couldn't she go to sleep? Maybe she was simply too scared to face her dreams. Relive that god awful moment over and over again. Liz felt as if she were being punished. But what for?

Coming to a decision, she sat up in bed and swung her legs over to the floor. Clutching the phone to her chest, she stumbled over to her bathroom. Dropping to the ground right inside the doorway, she rested her head on the door frame. She sat on the cool tile of her bathroom floor, but her feet curled onto the carpet. Drawing her knees to her chest, she made patterns in the smooth carpet with her toes. Her hands were shaking as she dialed the number she'd memorized years ago. The phone rang distantly and she waited for Maria to pick up. When someone got the phone, Liz could hear colorful swearing decorating the silence. Maria's profanity had developed exceedingly as a result of spending time with Michael. Slowing down a little, Maria decided to address her late night caller.

"Jesus Fucking Christ!! Who the hell calls someone at one-fucking-thirty in the morning?!? This had better be good...I'm talking life or death here."

Liz waited until Maria had run out of breath, then she spoke up.

"Maria, it-t's me-e," her voice was shaking.

"Liz! Oh my God, what happened?"

"I just c-couldn't go to sleep-p and I was wondering if y-you could come over."

"It's kind a late, are you sure it can't wait 'til morning?" Maria sounded confused but curious.

"I really n-need you Maria. I just want to talk."

Maria kicked herself mentally and rushed to reassure Liz. This is what Maria had been waiting for, not too patiently, for the last four days.

"Don't worry, babe. Of course I'll come, just give me ten minutes to throw somethin' on and drive over there. Everything'll be ok, Liz. Just hang in there..."

"Thanks, 'ia."

Liz used their childhood nickname for her best friend, it seemed appropriate. Then she put the phone down on the tile and waited for the sound of the Jetta pulling into the alley.

**********

It was almost three o'clock in the morning by the time Liz had finished telling Maria, in excruciating detail, what'd happened since that night they went to the psychic. The two friends were still sitting by the bathroom clinging to each other and crying. They were rocking back and forth, comforting one another. Maria's empathy for Liz's situation was extremely strong. It also broke her heart to know that in the future, or at least the future before Liz changed it, Michael had died only a few days ago. Somehow that piece of information brought everything closer to home for Maria. Michael was in danger, just as much now as he would be fourteen years from now.

Maria was awed by Liz's inner strength. Her resolve to put the fate of Max's people and the fate of Earth before her personal happiness...was astonishing. Liz never ceased to amaze Maria. But when she looked at the trembling girl in front of her, Maria felt anger rise within her. How could Max have asked her to do this? Didn't he realize it would kill her? Inside, Maria could see that Liz was dying. This responsibility was killing her. Literally. Maria's eyes traveled over Liz's pale body. She was tired, her brown eyes were lifeless and underneath them were permanent dark circles. She was even a little thinner. It had been less than a week and Liz already looked like she had a fatal disease. When was the last time she ate something, Maria wondered.

**If that son of a bitch was still here...I would beat his ass until he wished the Skins had killed him...a LONG time ago. I'd make that bastard come up with a different plan. One that DIDN'T include killing my best friend.**

Maria heard Liz choke on her tears, her breathing erratic. It amazed Maria that Liz was still trying to be strong and put up a good front. She, if placed in Liz's shoes, would've simply curled up in bed, isolated herself from the world. There would be too many memories waiting to be triggered by a picture, a table at school, a street name.

"Thank you Maria, for being here for me," Liz whispered.

"Anytime, chica."

Maria was going over all the information she'd been given the last hour or so. Time travel, the granalith, a future Max. It was all pretty unbelievable, but then, would she expect any less from a Czechoslovakian?

"So you got married in Vegas? At nineteen, wow."

Liz nodded her head, she was leaning against Maria's shoulder.

"You guys finally got a song too. 'I Shall Believe'...you've always liked that song, haven't you? Great wedding song..."

Liz felt her tears slowly dissolve, she was listening to Maria's voice whisper through the air. Sometimes when Maria spoke, it was almost as if she were singing. The way her voice went up and down, it was so melodious.

"Yeah, something about that song...even before I met Max...it just..." Liz sighed. Smiling, Maria closed her eyes, she was glad Liz had some happy memories to preserve inside her. Even if the memories were not hers, but really Max's from a different lifetime, they still gave Liz something to love. Something to dream about.

"That's weird about the granalith. Time travel? It's just like in the movies. I told you Michael took me to see it, didn't I? There was somethin' funky about it. Creepy..." Maria shivered.

"I know what you mean, it's almost as if there is a presence. Max said that my future friend Serina somehow adapted the granalith to create the rip in time. So, it wasn't build as a time travel machine, it was build for some other reason. We just don't know what it is yet," Liz was going into scientist mode. Maria was looking strangely at Liz, who was now laying on the bed, a wary expression on her face.

"Chica, you haven't BEEN to the granalith chamber. What do you mean...a presence? How do you even know what it looks like?"

Liz curled up in a fetal position, she closed her eyes and tried to figure out how to tell Maria.

"I don't know, I-I just know where it is. I know how to get there. I can see it...and when I do, I feel a presence. Maybe it's something future Max unintentionally gave me. It was really weird, all of a sudden, I just KNEW."

Maria got up off the floor and lay down beside Liz. Maria concentrated on taking deep breaths.

"Ok, babe, I'm trying not to let this freak me out. I'm REALLY trying...although I don't think it's working," Maria said wryly. "Our lives are perpetually filled with weirdness. All I can say is...I'm here for you. Whenever you need me, I got your back."

Liz reached over and gave her best friend a hug. There were so many uncertain things in their lives, but as long as she had someone like Maria, life wouldn't be quite as bad.

"Yeah, ditto."

Both Maria and Liz giggled at her use of Michael's famous one-syllable response. It was nice to laugh, Liz thought, she had been crying endlessly for the last few days. It felt good to take a break.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.