FanFic - Max/Liz
"Lost and Found"
"Lost"
Part 12
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I do not intend to infringe on any of the people truly involved in the production of Roswell, the TV series and the books. I am neither affiliated with the WB or Melinda Metz, but I am a crazed fan who needs to write pretend stories to keep from going mad during the week. For this story, the only things I own are the characters Audra Cristiensen, James Conway, Anna Lisa Evans, and Ben Thomas.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Some of the things I have in here all have a purpose. In other words, if there is something you think I should have explained, there is a very valid reason why I have chosen not to include it, or done the opposite of what you may think should happen. Anyway, you’ll understand more as this story comes along. For once, I actually know how this story will play out, and will end. So, the time it takes for me to get this done will be relatively short -- I just need the time to actually type it up. Also, I understand the season finale has aired, so my advice to you is to forget the past two months of episodes. I know it will be hard. But otherwise, many of the points discussed in this fic will not make sense. I just have a second comment. Have you noticed that my rambling at the top always manages to be a fic in itself? If you have read up until this far, you deserve my commendation. In fact, I bestow upon on you an Emma star. Alright, alright. I can take a hint. I’m done. :)
Audra couldn’t speak. She felt her vocal chords closing. She was so confused, she didn’t even know what questions she should be thinking of. How in the WORLD did James know where she was? Had he been following her? Was he in San Francisco? Or was there something more she didn’t know about?

“Audra?” His voice snapped her back to reality. A dangerous reality. His voice sounded cold and emotionless. He had transformed from a loving fiancé into this evil man, who knew everything about her. TOO much about her…

“Audra?” He repeated her name. Audra was terrified.

“Whatever you do, Audra, let me tell you this. You may think that what you did helped you. Well, it didn’t.”

Audra heard a noise behind her, and whipped around. All of a sudden, she felt like she was being watched. She needed to get out of here. It wasn’t safe.

“You can run, Audra. But you can’t hide.”

Audra slammed the receiver down and ran to the door. She pulled the doorknob, but it wouldn’t open. Struggling, she realized she hadn’t even opened the lock yet. Yanking the door finally open, she bounded down the stairs -- the elevator would take too long. It was late, and going outside at this time of night wasn’t safe. She knew she really had nowhere to go.

But there was only one address she knew in the entire city. And regardless of anywhere else she could have gone, be it the police, or any public place at all, this was the only place she wanted to be.

*****

Isabel and Anna Lisa had come home within an hour after they had left. Isabel had come back to find Max watching videos. He hadn’t even seen her come in. Isabel knew she hadn’t kept in touch with Max, but she couldn’t believe how much he had changed. He had lost a lot of weight, and seemed older than he really was. Isabel could barely recognize him the first time she stepped out of the plane. She knew it was hard for him as it was to balance everything. But a Max without Liz was like a fish without water.

Isabel had never approved of Max and Liz being together. When she lost touch with them, she hadn’t even spoken to them. She regretted it now. She wished she could help Max, but it didn’t have to be said that only one person could bring back the old Max.

And she had gotten away this morning.

Isabel sighed, silently left to the tiny study that Max had offered her. She hoped that if Max actually slept tonight, they could talk the next morning.

Gazing around the room, she was surprised. It looked like it hadn’t been touched in years, yet everything was spotless. It was a bedroom of the apartment, but clearly, Max had changed it into a study. As Isabel looked over the books, she narrowed her eyes. Max had been studying pediatrics. Yet, none of these books pertained to his subject. They all dealt with biology.

*But my dream, dream, dream job would be head of molecular biology at Harvard.*

Isabel never felt so sad for her brother. This room had been for Liz. He had left it to remember her.

She didn’t want to stay in this room. It was obvious that Max kept it neat for a reason.

As she was about to enter the living room, she saw that all the lights had been turned off. The television was on, and Max was sitting on the couch, his chin held by his arm. He was leaning forward, his eyes seemingly engrossed in everything he was watching. As Isabel peered into the room more, she saw he was watching another home video.

*Max, you are such a dork.*

*Why am I a dork?*

*Who else, other than you, would be videotaping us moving into our apartment?*

*This is a big day for us, Liz. I want it to be on tape.*

Pause.

*What?*

*Look at yourself, Max! You are such a dork!*

A burst of laughter.

*Yeah, but you married me, right? So you’re stuck. Who’s the dork now?*

More laughter.

*Come here, Max. And put that camera down.*

The camera then went shaky, and turned to the floor. It was quite obvious that whatever Max and Liz were doing, it wasn’t unpacking.

The screen went blank.

Isabel turned to look at the couch. Max had fallen asleep. From what she knew, this was the first time he had slept in weeks. Grabbing a blanket from her room, she brought it into the living room, and placed it over her brother.

To watch his face, even in sleep in pain, was difficult.

Shutting off the VCR and TV, Isabel quietly slipped out of the room.

Taking one final look at her brother, she shut off the hall light.

*****

Audra pumped her legs as fast as she could. A few people marked the streets -- mainly homeless men, and a few drunk college kids. She swerved around all of them. They no longer scared her.

What had James been involved with? Clearly, someone had told him she was here. Who? Who had she had contact with? Ben Thomas was the only person she had talked to. What possible connection could he have had with James?

Nothing made sense.

Audra needed comfort.

But what was she doing? What was she doing, expecting a perfect stranger to help her? He would probably call the police on her.

But, she no longer had a choice.

And, she was running out of time.

*****

Max awoke with a start. He didn’t even know he had been sleeping. It was certainly strange to be able to sleep again. Rubbing his eyes, he realized he was in the living room. Everything was dark and silent. But what had woken him up?

He sat still, trying to listen for a noise. But he didn’t hear anything. He figured he may as well go to his room, and so, he stood up. Fumbling for a light switch, he ran into the coffee table.

“Ow!” he said to himself.

Just as he was about to turn on the light, he walked over to the open window. The night was quiet, for once. He felt a rush of cool air come through. Maybe a little midnight walk would help clear his mind…

All he could think about was Liz. Liz, Liz, Liz… She was the only thing that occupied his mind. He knew he hadn’t been hallucinating -- Isabel and Anna Lisa had seen her too. But, something was wrong. He just couldn’t figure out what it was.

And the fact that his entire life was consumed by her wasn’t helping.

Grabbing his jacket, Max locked the door, and went outside.

*****

Audra couldn’t run any faster than she was. The night seemed dangerous -- she had never been so scared of the dark. Shadows moved all around her…

She had memorized the address. Now, it was just a question of finding it.

Suddenly, she saw a black car turn on its headlights. In panic, Audra glanced at the number of the building on her right. She had overshot herself. But, she didn’t have time now. Running to the door, she tried to pull it open. But, try as she might, it wouldn’t budge.

Someone gunned the engine of the car.

In pure fear, Audra turned around and ran as fast as she could.

*****

Stuffing his hands in his pockets, Max slowly sauntered down his street. He had always liked the city. It was so unlike Roswell. He could just blend in, and never be noticed. Up until the last few years of high school, he had felt he was becoming too prominent. So, in the city, he was back to being one of the many faces in the crowd.

Sighing, he made his way down the street.

He heard a loud engine down the street in front of him. What was such a loud car doing at this time of night?

Before he could turn the corner and see where it was coming from, he heard frantic footsteps on the pavement.

A small figure ran completely into him, and fell to the ground after colliding with him.

“I’m -- I’m sorry…” the soft female voice stammered.

“It’s okay,” Max replied, and helped her up. Gently taking her hand, he pulled her up from the ground, and lightly placed his hand at the small of her back to keep her steady. She seemed shaken and weary. “Are you alright?” he asked.

“I -- I need to go,” she said, motioning to leave.

Just as she was about to turn, she moved her hair off of her face. Upon seeing Max, she froze. Max narrowed his eyes, and drew in a sharp breath.

No…

“Liz?” he whispered, aghast.

And then the world went black.

Part 11 | Index | Part 13
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.