FanFic - Max/Liz
"Lost and Found"
"Lost"
Part 13
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I do not intend to infringe on any of the people truly involved in the production of Roswell, the TV series and the books. I am neither affiliated with the WB or Melinda Metz, but I am a crazed fan who needs to write pretend stories to keep from going mad during the week. For this story, the only things I own are the characters Audra Cristiensen, James Conway, Anna Lisa Evans, and Ben Thomas.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Some of the things I have in here all have a purpose. In other words, if there is something you think I should have explained, there is a very valid reason why I have chosen not to include it, or done the opposite of what you may think should happen. Anyway, you’ll understand more as this story comes along. For once, I actually know how this story will play out, and will end. So, the time it takes for me to get this done will be relatively short -- I just need the time to actually type it up. Also, I understand the season finale has aired, so my advice to you is to forget the past two months of episodes. I know it will be hard. But otherwise, many of the points discussed in this fic will not make sense. I just have a second comment. Have you noticed that my rambling at the top always manages to be a fic in itself? If you have read up until this far, you deserve my commendation. In fact, I bestow upon on you an Emma star. Alright, alright. I can take a hint. I’m done. :)
Max awoke with a pounding headache. He didn’t know where he was. Everything was dark, but he felt as if he were moving. Maybe he was in a car? All he could hear was a distant hum.

Where could he possibly be going? Was Liz in the car with him?

Liz. He needed to see Liz. She had collapsed into him. It was fate. He KNEW she was alive. He knew it. But what was she running from? Was it whoever had him now? Could she be with him?

Would this pain ever end?

Max tried to lift his head to get a better view. Suddenly he heard a loud, garbled sound. He felt someone slam his head back down to where he was laying, and soon, felt a sharp stinging in his arm.

And then he felt nothing at all. He slipped back into numbness within seconds.

The world was once again dark.

*****

Audra groggily woke up. A shooting pain ran down throughout her. She tried to shift her weight to one side of her body, but the cool steel beneath her was icy underneath her arms and head, and was as stiff as a cement block beneath her body.

What had happened?

All she could faintly remember was Max. It had been dark outside. But those eyes… She knew it was him by his eyes. She could never forget those eyes. Even in his shock and surprised, they were full of only love and concern. And he had looked deep within her, to places in her she didn’t even know existed. He had such an amazing effect on her. And she had never even spoken to him in her life. But she couldn’t deny the fact that he was all she could think about. For the first time in her life, she was in love.

But reality brought her back to her senses... His wife was a very lucky woman.

He had called her Liz again. Why was everyone calling her that? She really wanted to meet this “Liz.” Was it that she looked like this infamous Liz? Or was it something else?

But more than anything, she wanted to know why James knew where she was. Why he seemed to know everything that was going on. Why the car had been chasing her. Why she was here… And whether or not Max was here too.

Audra tried to get up from her recumbent position, but something was holding her back. She slowly opened her eyes, and saw that it was pitch black around her. She was so scared.

“Don’t try too hard, Mrs. Evans. You’ll only strain yourself.”

Audra jumped at the booming sound. She looked around a few times. Who was Mrs. Evans? Was there someone else in the room with her? Audra quickly revolved her head, although lying down was inhibiting her movement.

“No need to fidget, Mrs. Evans.”

Who was that?

“Are you comfortable?”

Audra was afraid to answer. Was the voice talking to her?

“Well? Are you going to answer me, Mrs. Evans?”

Biting her lip, Audra opened her mouth. “Are you talking to me?”

“Yes, I’m talking to you,” the voice mocked.

“But -- but my name is Audra Cristiensen.”

The voice laughed. She heard other voices too. Where were they coming from?

“Right, right,” the voice said.

“What?” Audra asked, puzzled at the skeptical tone.

“Nothing. I was just think it’s funny how some people will believe anything you tell them.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Silence.

“Hello?” Audra was getting more frightened by the minute.

All of a sudden, she heard a rustling in the background. She struggled to lift her head. But it was too late. Soon, she felt a prick in her arm. And then, she was out.

*****

After what seemed like an eternity, Max finally regained consciousness. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, he could see the room he was in was tiny. He felt a sudden chill, and realized he was no longer wearing his jacket. In fact, he was wearing what seemed to be doctor’s scrubs. Looking around his surroundings, he cautiously stood up. Blood rushed to his head, and he almost fell over.

“Liz?” Afraid to speak to loud, he maintained his voice at an unsteady whisper.

“Liz?” he repeated carefully, moving slowly to the edge of the room.

He called her name a few more times, but to no avail.

Though his mind was a blur, he knew he had seen Liz one more time. She had seemed so bewildered and scared. He wanted so much to protect her now. Where was she? Was she here? All Max could hope for was that she was okay.

He couldn’t believe he had touched her. He had been so close to her… He could have almost kissed her…

Sighing, Max leaned against a wall, and slid down to the floor. Placing his head in his hands, he tried to block out the consistent pain in his head. He felt as is someone had thrown him headfirst onto a concrete floor. Although, the brutal pain in his heart was infinitely more excruciating than his headache.

“Morning, Mr. Evans.”

Max looked up in shock. Who was that? Where was the voice coming from?

“Don’t look so scared.”

Max was afraid to answer. Summoning up his courage, he asked, “Who are you?”

The voice didn’t answer right away.

“How are you feeling, Max? Everything okay?” The voice wasn’t asking out of concern -- in fact, it sounded caustic.

Max didn’t answer.

“I’ve been watching you for a long time, you know.”

Why was the voice so familiar?

“In fact, I’ve been watching you for a few years. You, your gorgeous wife…”

Max’s stomach twisted into knots.

“Your beautiful baby…”

Suddenly, a light came on overhead, blinding Max. As he shielded his eyes, he could see there was a glass wall in front of him. With a suited man standing behind the glass, facing Max.

“Hi, Max. Remember me?”

Max knew he had seen him before. The blonde hair, tall built… But where?

*Mr. Evans, it’s Sergeant Conway speaking.*

*Sergeant Conway?*

*Yes. Conway. I’m leading the team on the investigation concerning your wife, Mr. Evans.*

“No…” Max said.

“Yes, actually.” The man gave an evil chuckle.

“What are you doing to me? Why am I here?”

Conway -- or whoever he was -- grinned evilly. He looked off to the side. Moving away, he seemed to be talking to someone else. Max quickly moved up to the glass.

The man came back. Cradled in his arms was Anna Lisa.

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.