FanFic - Max/Liz
"Last Beautiful Girl"
Part 8
by Girl_Interrupte
Disclaimer: I, in no way, am associated with the actors, writers, producers, etc. of Roswell. The rights to the show belong to: 20th Century Fox, Jason Katims, and the WB.
Summary: Takes place after “End of the World.” It contains spoilers (if you haven‘t seen EOTW), so be warned. A turning a point in the Max/Liz relationship.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is the sequel to, “Returning to Normal.” If you haven’t read that, it’s highly suggested that you read it. If you don’t you may not get this story.
“Max?” I repeated.

He slowly turned around. No matter how many times I saw him, his handsomeness still amazed me.

“What are you doing here?” I was afraid if I said too much, he’d leave.

“I-I saw you sleeping in the park. I just wanted to make sure you got home safe.” He blushed, then looked down at his shoes.

The awkwardness of the moment intensified. We stood there for a while, not sure what to say, not sure what to feel.

“How did you know I was behind you?” He asked, suddenly.

Did he even need to ask?

“I felt you.”

Quiet.

“Liz. We need to talk.” His voice was low, like he was afraid to show his emotions.

I had dreaded this. The moment when he would ask me if what he saw was real, the moment I would have to lie.

“Max...” I started.

“Just let me talk. You owe me that,” I fought to hold back my tears. “I just want to know if what I saw, you and Kyle, was that real?”

No! No! It’s not! I could never hurt you like that, I love you!

“I’m sorry, Max.”

He raised up his hand to stop me. I didn’t even get out my words. His eyes looked into mine, filled with unshed tears. Why had I made that promise? He turned and started to walk away. It couldn’t end like this.

I grabbed his arm, and pulled him to me. Our faces were inches apart. His eyes were looking into my soul, searching for something. Like they did before I left for Ohio. And suddenly, before I knew what I was doing, I kissed him. I let all my loneliness, all my passion, all my fear flow into that kiss.

His hands were on my waist, pulling me closer. We were the only two people in the world. This is where I belonged, in Max’s arms. I couldn’t go back to Ohio now, not after this kiss.

And before I knew what happened, he pulled away, untangling himself from me. We stood there for a minute.

“Goodbye Liz.” And then he was gone.

------------------------------------------------------------

Something was wrong. I sensed it the instant I saw him. He was just sitting there with a vacant stare. I guess he forgot that this was the time I brought him lunch everyday.

“Max? You okay?” I slowly walked toward him.

He jumped at the sound of my voice.

“God, Maria. You scared me.”

“Sorry. Are you okay?” He had dark circles under his eyes, and his hair was sticking out every which way.

“No. No I’m not.” His voice was flat.

“What happened?” The concern in my voice was blatantly obvious.

“Liz.” This time his voice was filled with several different emotions.

“Oh my God. Did you see her?” When had that happened?

“Last night, we talked. It’s complicated.” He got up and moved to the Crash Display.

I couldn’t take this anymore. After Liz left, Max was a walking zombie. He barely talked, and we had to force him to eat. Weeks passed before we got him back to a semi-normal state. It was all I could do to keep Liz’s secret. Now, I wasn’t sure if the secret being told was such a bad thing. It had done enough damage.

“I hate seeing you like this Max. I’m tired of all these lies. It’s hurting us all so much.” His eyes darted toward me.

“Lies? What are you talking about?”

I just hoped Liz understood.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“So, where are we going?” Madison shouted over the radio.

I decided that morning to take her on a small road trip and show her the sights around Roswell. Not that there was much to see in the first place, but it’d give us something to do. It’d help me keep my mind off Max.

“I’m going to show you the Old Highway! You’ll love it!” I shouted back.

“Cool!”

My parents let me use their car all day. They were both working at the restaurant. Tonight they were taking me and Madison to some play in Clovis. I really didn’t want to go, but I didn’t want to hurt their feelings. My thoughts drifted back to Max. What went through his head last night as we were kissing? Did he feel everything I felt? Or was it an empty kiss?

“So what’s the deal with Michael and Maria? Those two looked pretty cozy last night.” That’s the Madison I know and love, she lived for gossip.

“They have sort of an on again-off again relationship. They’ve been that way for about a year and a half.” I giggled at the memory of their many outbursts.

“Looks like they’re on again.” She laughed too.

We were quiet again, and the music filled our silence.

“Oh my God, Liz!” She screamed.

Then it all went black.

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.