FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 37
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Isabel sighed and looked out the window, searching for Alex's little red car. He'd called and said he was on the way, just had to pick up Liz first. Sighing with boredom, Isabel walked away from the window and went into the kitchen. Max was at the table, eating a piece of toast while looking through his bio book.

Isabel picked up a piece of toast and sniffed it. Deciding against eating it, she laid it back down.

"You ok?" Max asked, not looking up from his book.

"Hmm?" Isabel asked, looking at him.

"You look nervous," Max added, briefly looking up at her.

"Well, I'm not," Isabel replied. Which was only half-true. She wasn't really nervous, just antsy. What was Ken gonna do when he saw her? She had totally flipped out when she touched him!

"I'm just bored. Alex and Liz were supposed to be here by now."

Max suddenly looked up, his toast down on the plate. "Liz is stopping by?"

Isabel nodded, a small smile on her lips. "Alex is giving me and her a ride today." Max stood up and pushed his chair in. "Where are you going?"

Max shrugged and went down the hallway. "Bathroom."

Isabel shook her head and walked over to the fridge. She pulled out the juice and poured a glass, taking a long drink. It wasn't as if she was really thirsty, she just wanted something to occupy her hands.

When she heard the doorbell rung, Isabel sat her glass down and walked toward the door, only to have Max rush past her. She could smell the extra cologne he'd put on.

"I got it," he called out as reached the door. Isabel saw his face sag when he noticed Alex was standing by himself on the porch. "Hey Alex."

"Nice to see you too," Alex replied, noticing the look. "Liz is in the car."

Isabel laughed as Max turned a little red. "Go say hi," she prompted.

Max just stepped back and shrugged. "That's ok. I'll see her at school."

Alex and Isabel shared a look. "I'll be back," Alex said before walking out the door. A few seconds later he returned with Liz walking behind him.

Isabel saw Liz looking up at Max and cleared her throat. "Um, me and Alex were just about to go into the kitchen."

"Right, kitchen," Alex added, taking Isabel's elbow and walking away from the other two teenagers.

Max looked at the ground and took a deep breath. Finally, he looked up and talked. "Hey."

"Hi," Liz replied, shifting slightly.

Max dared a look at her hand and saw it was still bandaged. Maybe he hadn't done anything to her.

"Max…we need to talk," Liz said suddenly.

"Ok," Max managed to get out, nodding like an idiot.

"Not here," Liz added, looking toward the kitchen. When she looked back at him, her eyes weren't as steady. "I really need some help with that happened."

Max felt his chest tighten and took a deep breath. He walked up to Liz and reached past her to grab his keys. He noticed Liz's eyes get big, but she didn't move. In fact, she seemed shift toward him.

"I'll give you a lift to school." Max explained, showing her the keys.

Liz nodded. "Ok."

Max nodded too, suddenly becoming aware of their closeness. He couldn't help looking down at her lips, wishing he could kiss them.

"Um…we better get going," Liz whispered, seeming to be as caught up in the moment as he was.

Max pulled back fast, taking a deep breath and cursing himself in his head. "Isabel, we're leaving!" he called out, pulling on his coat. He bent over and picked his book bag off the floor, only to be face to face with Liz again when he stood up. The tension was thick as they both tried to keep some control.

"What did you say?" Isabel asked, walking into the room suddenly.

Max and Liz both jumped. Max looked at his sister and saw her smirk. "Um, I'm gonna give Liz a lift to school," he replied.

"Uh-huh," Isabel said, looking at Liz. "I'll see ya in school."

Liz nodded and looked at Max before backing up a few feet. "I'm just gonna put my book bag in your jeep," she said before walking out the door.

Max watched her leave. How was he gonna explain all this to her? And do it in a way where she would still like him.

"So…you're riding to school together?" Isabel asked in a mocking voice.

Max sighed and shot his sister a look. "It's not what you think." Then he left, leaving Isabel standing there in confusion.

Liz was waiting for him by the jeep, looking confused and lost.

"Hey. You ready?"

"Yeah," Liz nodded, climbing into the covered vehicle.

Max thought a second then said, "I'm gonna take the top down. It's nice out."

"Yeah," Liz said again. Max went about the process of taking off the top and then climbed into the drivers' seat.

They silently rode toward the school, and Max didn't think he could take much more of it. As he turned onto the road the school was on, Liz suddenly spoke.

"Could we go somewhere else?" she asked.

Max looked over at her and finally nodded. "Ok, sure. Where do you want to go?"

"I don't care…anywhere."

Max slowed down and pulled a U-turn after making sure the coast was clear. "Um, I know a place."

***

Maria sighed and she slammed her locker. Liz was supposed to meet her here five minutes ago but was a no show. She turned to see Alex and Isabel headed her way.

"Hey guys. What's up?" she asked.

Isabel just shrugged. "Not much."

Alex, on the other hand, seemed very happy and up beat. Maria knew he was delirious about having Isabel hanging with him. "Maria, my best friend. How's life treating you?"

"Um, pretty good; pretty good," she replied, sharing a smile with Isabel. "So, you guys seen Liz?"

Alex and Isabel shared another smile and Maria brightened. "What do you guys know?" she asked.

"Well," Alex began, "we know that Liz caught a ride with Max this morning."

"And they were being very cozy," Isabel added with gleam in her eye.

"Are you serious?!" Maria asked, getting into the gossip now.

Isabel nodded. "Yep. They're around here somewhere…together."

Maria smiled. "Together, together?" she asked.

Alex shook his head. "You're getting ahead of yourself. They just rode to school together."

Isabel sighed and looked at him. "Alex…this is Liz and Max we're talking about here."

"They're made for each other!" Maria exclaimed. "Maybe they've finally seen that!"

"Trust me, Max saw it the first time he met her," Isabel added.

Maria nodded. "I know. The guy's a goner."

"Well, I better get going. Talk to you later?" Alex asked, looking at Isabel.

Isabel nodded. "Yeah, of course."

Alex nodded and walked off. Maria shook her head. "I know I should feel neglected, but he's so cute!" she cooed.

"What?" Isabel asked, looking at her with confusion.

Maria gave her a wicked smile and said, "Max isn't the only goner," before walking off. ***

Kyle walked into homeroom and took his seat, waiting for the bell to ring. He'd meant to talk to Liz this morning but she'd already went to class by the time he reached her locker. Sighing, he decided to catch her after class.

He wanted to speak to her. She'd been acting really distant lately. He knew she was shaken up with her hand and all, but she didn't even call to tell him about it. He had t find out from his dad! His own father came home to tell him that his girlfriend was at the hospital with Maria, Max Evans and Michael Guerin.

But what pissed him off the most was how his father had put it. 'I saw Liz at the hospital.'

'Why, was she hurt?'

His father nodded. 'Cut her hand pretty deep. Good thing that Evans boy was there.'

'Evans? Max Evans?'

'I believe. He was supporting her. Had a good amount of blood all over himself from her hand.' He had replied.

Kyle had felt angry over that. His father was making it sound like Liz was all over that Max guy! But she wasn't; couldn't have been. She was dating him after all. So he'd went by her place that night. They were all there. Liz was perfectly fine, and not all over Max.

"Hey, Kyle," Tommy Sherman called out.

"Hey," Kyle replied, lost in his own thoughts.

Tommy waited a beat, then leaned in some. "Hey…what's going on with you and Liz?"

"What do you mean?"

"You guys have a fight or something?" he asked.

"No," Kyle replied, sitting up some now. "We're fine. Why?"

"Oh, nothing," Tommy said, pulling back some.

"What's that mean?"

Tommy shrugged and tried to look casual. "No, I just thought…I must've been wrong."

"Just thought what?" When he didn't answer, Kyle started to get nervous. "Tom…you know something I don't?"

"Nothing, I was wrong."

"Wrong about what?" Kyle asked.

Tommy sighed and leaned back forward. "I just thought I saw her in a jeep with some guy driving away from school this morning, but I must've been wrong."

"Of course you were," Kyle replied, feeling his stomach clench. Tommy nodded in agreement and said back once more. "But…um, just in case…so I can make sure the guys stays away from my girl," Kyle added quickly. "Who was she with? If, and this is a big if, if it was her."

Tommy thought for a sec. "um…that new guy. Max something or other."

Kyle nodded and sat back, feeling sick. No, he thought. Liz wouldn't be hanging with him in his car, alone. Kyle figured it was just some girl who looked like her. Just some random, dark haired girl.

But the pit in his stomach was telling him other wise. Suddenly remembering that Max was in this class, Kyle spun his head around searching. Max Evans wasn't anywhere in sight. But his sister Isabel was. Kyle watched as she looked at the clock then at the door. She didn't know where he was either.

Kyle moved up a few seats and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hi, Kyle Valenti. You're Isabel, right?"

"Yeah," she replied.

Coming up with a quick lie, Kyle laid on the charm. "I was wondering where your brother was. We need a sixth for a basket ball game after school. Thought he'd wanna join in."

Isabel smiled back and shrugged. "Well, he's runnin' a little late this morning. I'm not sure where he is."

"You guys didn't ride to school together?" he asked, waiting for her response.

Isabel paused a second then said, "of course. But I lost him in the school."

Kyle sighed and nodded, the pit in his stomach easing some. "Ok, thanks a lot."

"Happy to help," Isabel added, turning back around. Kyle was already in his seat before Isabel groaned and prayed for Max and Liz to show up.

Part 36 | Index | Part 38
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.