FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 21
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own 'em.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Liz sighed and grabbed up her candles and headed into the bathroom. If she was gonna survive this night, she needed to relax first. She sat the candles around the room, lighting them as she went. She then turned on the faucet and proceeded to let the tub fill. Liz tightened her robe as she walked back into her bedroom and got out her bath beads and bubble bath. She put them both in the tub and let the water and bubbles mix a little. She then turned down the lights, giving the room a relaxing feel.

Liz sighed as her nose was filled with the scents that the candles were giving off. Each one was a different smell, but when they were mixed all together, it felt like she was in an exotic rainforest.

After a few moments, Liz flipped on her radio and slipped off her robe. Liz got into the water and stretched, sighing at the feeling of relaxation.

The room was heady with smells, and Liz let her tensions of the day roll off, lazily making circles in the water with her finger. She took a deep breath and laid her head back, listening to the radio.

*My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why I
Got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my windows
And I can't see at all
And even if I could, it'd all be gray
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad
It's not so bad*

Liz gave a little smiled and thought about Max. All he has to do is be in her vicinity to make her day perfect. She let the song fade into the background as her thoughts gave way into sleep.

*I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
My head just feels with pain
I missed the bus, and they'll be hell today
I'm late for work again
And even if I'm there, they'll all imply
That I might not pass the day
And then you call me
And it's not so bad, it's not so bad

I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life

Push the door, I'm home at last
And I'm soaking through and through
Then you handed me a towel
And all I see is you
And even if my house falls down then, I wouldn't have clue
Because you're near me and…

I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just being with you
Is having the best day of my life

I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life*

'Thank You' by Dido

Michael walked into the Crashdown and noticed it was packed; and that Max and Isabel were a no show. Figures, he thought. They make a big deal about coming then don't show.

He turned, ready to go back out the door when he saw Maria coming out of the back. Her face was red and she looked tired. He watched as she ducked behind the counter, not yet noticing him.

Michael looked back at the door, then spun around and walked back toward the counter. "Hey," he said casually, knocking on the top of the counter with his fist. He heard a thump then Maria rose, rubbing her head.

"Ow…when'd you get here?" she asked. "You scared the bajeezess out of me."

Michael raised his eyebrow at her, but only said, "Just now."

Maria nodded and glanced around. "You missed everyone. Liz had a family thing and Max and Isabel got a call telling them to come home."

Michael nodded. The place was crowded and loud. "You working alone tonight?"

Maria shrugged and started to fill some sodas. "Agnes is here, but I don't really count her as a waitress. And Alex is filling in too."

Michael looked out into the crowd and noticed Alex for the first time, taking an order from a family of about five.

"Miss, my milk shake?!" an angry customer asked.

Maria scowled. "It's coming!" she said in a cheerful voice. "I'm gonna kill Liz," she mumbled to Michael.

Alex came back behind the counter and handed Maria a slip. "Two diet cokes, a surge, one cheery, and one orange," he said. Maria moaned and handed Alex the ones she had already filled.

"Table 4," she instructed. Alex nodded and headed off. Maria sighed and ran a hand around her neck, trying to get some tension out of it.

He sighed and rubbed his temples. "I'm so gonna regret this, but you take care of him, I'll get the drinks."

Maria looked shocked as he made his way behind the counter, pulling her out of the way. "Go. Don't just look at me like I'm an alien," he instructed.

Maria opened her mouth to say something, but closed it as a group of teenagers came in the doors. "Thank you!" she said hastily as she hurried to clean off a table.

"You owe me!" Michael replied.

Alex made his way to the counter and, after his shock of seeing Michael behind it, said, "She enlist you too?"

Michael shrugged and handed over the sodas. "My own decision," he said as a little girl spilled her soda all over the floor with a loud clang.

"Maybe not my best," he added as the little girl proceeded to start to cry. Alex nodded and headed off again.

Michael watched as Maria came up to the little girl, bending down to her height. She said something in the little girl, making her stop crying. Michael noticed how her skirt raised up as she shifted a little.

Whoa, advert eyes, now! He told himself, but he kept watching. The little girl was now smiling, and Maria smiled back, making her whole face glow. She then got up and grabbed a few napkins, wiping up the spill. She then handed the little girl the cup. She told her something and pointed up at Michael, catching his eyes. She smiled and held his gaze a second, then looked back at the little girl.

Michael saw how the little girl smiled and started over to him. He looked down at the little girl. "What kinda of soda did you have?"

She smiled and said, "An orange."

Michael nodded and filled up the cup; careful to not fill it too much so she wouldn't spill it.

She smiled and went back to her table. Maria smiled and said something else to her, making her laugh.

"You know, Maria's got something, doesn't she?"

Michael looked to see Alex standing beside him. "What?"

Alex just smiled and took the cups. "Get back to work!"

Part 20 | Index | Part 22
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.