FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 11
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own the character's, just the plot.
Summary: Alternative reality fic.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
"Max?" Michael called out. "You wanna back me up?" When Max didn't answer, Michael looked over his shoulder. "Max?" He was standing perfectly still, and staring into space. Michael walked over to him and nearly jumped when Max suddenly stumbled and shot a look into the kitchen. "Max?!"

Max's face was red when he turned to him. "Nothing! I was-wasn't doing anything!" he said quickly. He shot another glance at the kitchen then looked at Michael. "I mean, what's up?"

Michael shot him a look then toward the kitchen. He saw Maria talking to Liz, then she said, 'and Max is damn good looking!' Michael immediately looked at Max. He was shying away, like a guilty puppy, clearly not hearing Maria's outburst. Michael shot another look at Maria. Her nightshirt was bright blue and quiet shirt, but not that shirt either. And to be truthful, it was driving him insane! It was the same color of her eyes and it made them stand out. Michael could clearly see them from across the room.

"Listen to yourself Michael!" Isabel said suddenly. "This is my house, and my life. And I want to have a sleepover."

Michael just nodded, never taking his eyes off Maria. "Sure," he muttered.

"What?" Isabel asked. Max was also eyeing him.

Michael finally looked at Isabel. "You're right. It's your life."

Isabel was speechless as Maria and Liz trooped back into the living room.

"We have popcorn!" Maria called out as she walked past them. Michael watched her. "What?" she asked, looking back at him.

Michael caught himself and lied. "You've got something in your teeth."

Maria thought for a second then shrugged and just grinned. "Well, at least I'm among friends who are truthful."

Michael had to give her props. If he was caught with something in his teeth, he'd be embarrassed.

"So…what did you guys do tonight?" Maria suddenly asked.

Michael shrugged. "Just hung out," Max mumbled finally.

"That's cool," Maria observed. "Me and Liz do that a lot, right Liz?"

Liz nodded. "Yeah…all the time…"

"You know what? We should all do that one-day! All of us!" Maria said, while looking right at Max.

Michael fumed. He almost hollered 'what are you doing?' but held back.

"That could be fun," Isabel said, sharing a glance with Maria. Is she in on it too? Michael thought. He turned and looked at Max. His eyes were on Liz. At least he didn't want Maria that way.

"Come one Max," Michael said. "Let's' watch some TV."

"Well, we're watching a movie," Maria said.

"What movie?" Max asked, but Michael figured he'd watch anything with Liz.

"Dirty Dancing" Isabel supplied.

"Cool," Max said. One point for me, Michael thought. "Could be fun," he added, looking at Michael; who shot a look at Maria. Fun? I think not!

"Um…not my cup of tea," Michael mumbled, pulling Max down the hall.

"Um-bye," Max called out. Michael pulled him into his room and started to pace. "Why'd you do that?" Max asked, sitting on the bed. "They asked us the watch a movie with them."

"Max, it was 'Dirty Dancing'," he pointed out.

"So?"

Michael sighed. Max had gone into his 'Liz is all I need' mode again. "Maxwell, did you even see what was going on out there?"

Max looked at him. "What are you talking about?" he asked, clearly confused. He didn't get it. Who could be that dense?! "Maria…her questions…" Michael hinted. When Max just sat there, Michael joined him on the bed. "She's into you," he added with a touch of anger.

Max's eyes bulged and Michael figured he got it now. "Maria? The blonde in the living room?" Max asked. Michael nodded. Max started to laugh. "Mike…I think she's more interested in you then me," he added.

"No way!" Michael exploded, which made Max just smile even more. "What?!"

He shrugged. "Michael…it totally obvious you're into her."

Michael scoffed, then said something he'd regret. "What about you? You're head-over-heels for a girl who has a boyfriend who she's totally in love with!" Max got silent after that. Michael cursed under his breath. "Sorry…that was outta line."

Max shrugged, while looking at the floor. "No it wasn't. I need to be reminded that she has a boyfriend."

Michael watched his friend. What had he heard her and Maria talking about, he thought. Michael knew what he heard, and that made it sound like Maria had her eye on Max. He shook his head and looked at his best friend. "Hey…if it helps, I think they're about to break-up," Michael said.

Max looked up. "Really?" he asked a little too eager.

Michael chuckled. "Man, you've really got it bad."

*************************************************************

Liz woke to a sound at the entrance of the living room. She blinked while her eyes adjusted. She looked around; Isabel was sound asleep on the couch and Maria was curled up on the love seat.

Liz glanced at the door again and nearly jumped out of her skin. Max was standing there, looking at her intensely. His muscles poked out from his tank top as he made his way into the room.

Max walked over slowly to her, and she never took her eyes off of his. They were so brown and warm. She felt a shiver go down her back, then she felt oddly warm and safe. Max finally reached her and held out his hand. Liz stared at it, then finally took it and he helped her up. She stood directly in front of him, their hands intertwined at their sides. Liz looked up into his eyes and was once again captivated.

Max reached up with his free hand and pushed a strand of hair back behind her ear, cupping her face. Liz was standing close enough to feel his heart pounding. Or maybe it's mine, she thought. She could feel his warmth and wanted to be closer. He's gonna kiss me! As if hearing her, Max let go of her hand and snaked his arm around her waist, pulling her against him gently. Liz let out a little sigh at how right all of this felt. And nearly gasped as Max ran his fingers up her spine. She looked up at his face and he gave her a small smile. Liz smiled back. His whole face lit up, causing his eyes to shine.

Liz reached her hand up and placed it on his upper arm, running her fingers over his muscles. She then reached her other hand up and played with the hair on the back of his head.

Max closed his eyes for a second, just savoring the feel of Liz in his arms. Then he reached over and placed his hand on the back of her neck, bringing her lips toward his. Liz licked her lips in anticipation of the kiss, and Max gave a little groan. He bent the rest of the way down, only stopping a second to look into her eyes right before their lips touched. He couldn't believe she was in his arms, and, of all things, he was kissing her.

Liz felt Max tighten his grip on her and pressed up against his chest, trying to get closer. Her head began to spin as Max deepened the kiss and she felt his tongue slip into her mouth.

"Max…" Liz sighed out.

Liz woke with a start, just nearly catching herself before she called out his name. Her whole body was humming and she felt lightheaded. She rubbed her forehead and her hand came back soaked with sweat. She took in a deep breath and tried to clear her head.

That dream…it was, intense, to say the least, she thought. Liz had had…dreams like that before, but not that real. She was almost convinced it had actually taken place. Liz sighed and stood up. She glanced at Isabel and Maria before walking down the hallway to the bathroom. She needed to splash some water on her face.

Liz found the bathroom and walked in, turning on the light after closing the door. She glanced in the mirror and was surprised to see her face was flushed. Liz thought back to the dream and blushed even more.

"Just stop…" she mumbled. "You have a boyfriend," she said to her reflection. Liz turned on the water and cupped her hands under the faucet to catch some water. She splashed it on her face and reached for the hand towel. As she did so, she thought the heard the click of a door opening, she strained to hear footsteps, but didn't. Liz just shrugged and returned the towel. She opened the door and stepped, out, only to find Max standing in his bedroom doorway.

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.