FanFic - Max/Liz
"Get In the Game"
Part 3
by FordOnBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Max's life begins to change more than Michael and Isabel would like as he becomes more and more frustrated with living in the background.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer. You might want to read that one first although it's not absolutely necessary. Feedback Please!
Max didn't actually talk to Kyle outside of the basketball court. In fact they hardly talked on the court. But when Kyle told him that Paulie was out, or that Rich had to bail early it was a command to be at the courts at 3:30 after school. A two on three shirts and skins game was ongoing after school that Wednesday. Max had been attending an after-school biology tutoring session - with Liz of course. He'd received a B minus on his last test, a grade marginally lower than his norm and as part of mandatory class policy had to attend the after-school review session with Liz. Not like it had been forced upon him or much of punishment. He wished he could get bad grades more often. Kyle had been on his back as he arrived late to the court however. Max was the secret to his teams success, at the moment they were losing. He and Senior Rob Archie, simply Archie to everyone, were glad to see Max jog onto the court.

"Bout time Evans," Archie commented, none too happy about Max's tardiness. Archie didn't care why Max was late, he was here now. Archie was a lanky 6'4 and he and Max along with Kyle made a good team. He didn't know Max too well, he hadn't even had a conversation with him over six words. Max didn't talk much when he played. Like today, he simply stripped his shirt off to join he and Kyle on the skins team and jumped into play.

Max's impact was quick. It took no more than two minutes for him to cut the deficit in half. He shot threes, he could drive to the hoop, he could pass, he could defend. And for all that he did, he never once said a word.

"Evans, how come you weren't at tryouts last month?" Archie asked, his voice had a sense of hostility in it. "The team could use you, man." The fourth year Senior starter again said it more as an intimidation than a compliment - at the moment the West Roswell Comets were having their fair share of woes. They had a meagre .500 record, and the wins they had attained were a struggle. Kyle was the only underclassmen on a Senior-laden roster. Max didn't respond and Kyle suddenly spoke.

"That's not Max's thing," he commented and the way which he said made Max jerk up his head.

"Why is it not my thing?" he spoke for the first time in two weeks. Kyle picked up his head, he hadn't expected Max to say anything. The four other people on the court had hardly known what his voice sounded like.

"What?" Kyle was beyond surprised that Max had said anything.

"I was...I was just curious why you said it wouldn't be my thing."

"Well Max, you're just not..." Kyle actually laughed slightly, "you're not real involved."

Max shuddered at Kyle's last words, a chill going down his spine thinking of how Isabel had said exactly that the other day. Thousands of thoughts running through his mind, Max simply left the issue alone and as Archie finished tying his shoe he jogged back on defense.

The matter didn't arise again that afternoon. Archie seemed to dismiss the notion of Max joining the team, Kyle dismissed Max's sudden defensiveness and Max dismissed Kyle's comment. The next play he'd simply taken the ball and cut through Rich and Ben, laying the ball into the hoop. He looked out across the courtyard and saw Michael and Isabel walk by as he drove to the hoop. They both glared at him as they walked silently on the other side. They glared at him as Kyle screamed out in celebration that Max's layup had put his team in front. They glared at him as he reached up with his long arms and blocked the shot of Rich Rundgen, passing it down the court to the awaiting Archie for two more points. Max actually smiled then as his team went up by even more and as he looked to Michael and Isabelle glaring at him, he just glared back. Michael and Isabel on one side of the fence and he on the other.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.