FanFic - Max/Liz
"Finding the Truth"
Part 3
by Liz
Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell or any of its characters. I’m not getting any profits so don’t sue.
Summary: Liz has been reliving her betrayal of Max. When Isabel and Michael get nosy, Liz decides that she has to do something before Max finds out.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This takes place not long after “End of the World”. Just so you understand, things in italics are dreams and stars mean a change in scene or perspective on something that just happened. I want to dedicate this to all the authors who have inspired me to write a story of my own. Ash, Mavonne, Carol, and many more. Also I dedicate this to one of my best friends Heidi and of course the show and all the people who make the show possible.
Liz kept repeating to herself, “Pull it together, You have to fight this. If I can’t do this now how am I supposed to get through the rest of high school? She washed her face in the sink and fixed her hair. English was going to start soon so she decided to go. As Liz left the bathroom she bumped into Maria.

“There you are! I’ve been looking all over school for you. You know you make a horrible liar!” Maria said.

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” Liz chuckled.

“Well, what’s going on with you? What’s the matter?” Maria asked.

“Maria, I’m sorry I can’t tell you.” Liz said, then seeing the hurt look on Maria’s face, “you know that if I could talk about it with you I would, but I can’t.”

“Did Max hurt you? If he did I’ll ring his little Czech neck!” Maria yelled.

“Maria, no, it’s not that. Max did not do anything.” Liz tried to explain.

“Are you going to be okay?” Maria said realizing that her best friend was not going to talk about whatever that’s bothering her now. The truth would have to wait.

“I hope so.” Liz said as they walked down the hall to their 5h period class.

*************************************************************************************

After school Liz and Maria headed to the Crashdown to begin their shift. Liz was in no mood to work after the day she had. She hadn’t had a good day in a long time. Liz’s lack of enthusiasm in her work was apparent to her customers who were growing upset with her because she was neglecting them. Maria tried to help as much as she could without doing the same with her customers. Michael saw Liz’s behavior and was dumbfounded. Usually, even if her day was bad working somehow temporarily made her smile. But today she looked pale and tired and could tell she was just going through the motions, not really living. ‘What was going on with that girl? For that matter what was going on with Max?’ Michael thought to himself.

As soon as her shift was done Liz just walked to the back room and up the stairs without even saying to anything to Michael or Maria. They just gave each other a look and shrugged their shoulders. They knew they couldn’t do anything. However Michael knew whatever was going on had to surface. He knew what he had to do. He grabbed his stuff and headed to the Evans house.

**************************************************************************************

Max was lying on his bead looking up at his ceiling. He thought about a lot of things but one subject was never far away from his thoughts. Liz. Why did Liz sleep with Kyle. Or why did she say she did. It was so out of character. ‘I know that she was pushing me away that week, but sleep with Kyle? That makes no sense’ Max kept thinking.

Max got up and turned on his stereo. He pushed play and pushed a button until it read “track4”. Just then Dido’s “Hear with me” came on. He chose this song because the words almost explained in a weird way how he was feeling, and that comforted him.

I didn't hear you leave
I wonder how am I still here
I don't want to move a thing
It might change my memory
Oh I am what I am
I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe
until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be
until your resting here with me
I don't want to call my friends
they might wake me from this dream
and I can't leave this bed
risk forgetting all that's been
Oh I am what I am
I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe
until you're resting here with me
I won't leave, I can't hide, I cannot be
until your resting here with me

Max, even though he was mad about Liz and Kyle, was still in love with Liz. The only difference is that now there was this invisible barrier blocking them. He wanted her to be there, with him, but then the thought of Kyle’s body wrapped around his sweet little Liz made him ill again. He e wanted to move on, he just wished it was a life with Liz.

Michael approached the Evan’s house and knocked quietly on the door. Mrs. Evans answered the door and told him that Max was in his room.

“Actually, I’m looking for Isabel.” Michael said, then seeing her questioning look and the quickly said, “I wanted to ask her a couple questions about the math homework.” He lied. Mrs. Evans shrugged her shoulders and told him she was in her room. He quickly walked to her room trying to make sure Max did not see him. He opened the door to see Isabel about to open up her yearbook. Isabel suddenly realized that Michael was behind her and spun around.

“What are you doing here?” Isabel asked.

“I know you’ve seen the way Max has been acting. Liz was acting even more strange at the Crashdown tonight. She looked really pale and tired like she hasn’t slept in years. Something is up and I’m tired of everyone telling me that nothings wrong.” Michael explained.

“I know I saw Liz at lunch and she looked awful. I want to know too. That’s why I’m getting my yearbook out I want to find out what Liz is dreaming about so maybe we can find out some answers.”

“Wow, its like you’re reading my mind. That’s what I was coming over to see if you would do. I thought I was going to have to fight with you to get you to do it. We better just make sure Max doesn’t find out what we are going to do otherwise he’ll get out of his sulking mood and kick our ass.” Michael cautiously said.

“Okay, I’m guessing you want to join me on this journey to Liz’s dream.” Isabel said, then seeing Michael’s nod, and flipped to Liz’s picture and slowly entered Liz’s dream.

**************************************************************************************

Liz was again watching her nightmare. She sat in the corner again weeping. Just then Isabel and Michael entered the dream making sure Liz didn’t notice. They began to watch what looked like Max but a different somehow looking Max. Isabel and Michael just looked at each other not really understanding what was going on but their eyes quickly faced back to what was going on. They could see was Liz, the Liz that was dreaming crying in the corner of what looked like her room screaming “Stop it. I can’t relive this again. Why can’t I stop reliving this?” They both realized that this is what was messing up Max and Liz this is what really happened not just an ordinary dream.

They watched like their lives depended making sure of everything said including facial expressions. They also listened to Liz’s plea to stop the dreams. They weren’t sure of why she was so upset until they saw Liz get into bed with Kyle. The rumors were true, but not really. Liz knew Max was coming over and that she had to make him fall out of love with her. Then Max came to the window and saw them together and scampered off. The look on Max’s face and Liz’s was too much to bear. Just then the dream started over again. Isabel and Michael now knew the truth and realized that Liz was reliving the worst moment of her life every night in a loop. Isabel started to form tears, and Michael felt like a train hit him. This is why their best friend and someone close to them were in so much pain. Isabel couldn’t take it anymore so she had them exit the dream.

Just as Isabel and Michael left Liz saw them out of the corner of her eye. ‘Oh no, they know! Oh God they are going to tell Max! What am I going to do now?’

***********************************************************************************

Isabel and Michael quickly woke up and looked each to other and both at the same time said, “Oh My God!”

“What do we do? We can’t tell Max for two reasons, one he’ll be pissed that we invaded her dream and also he’ll fall in love with Liz again which might lead the world ending and our….our …..deaths.” Isabel barely made out the last words as she began to tear up. If she was this upset she couldn’t even begin to think what Liz was going through. “Oh Michael, she sacrificed everything for us. She destroyed her life to save everyone else’s. We were wrong about her. And here we were, doubting that she would keep our secret forever. What do we do know?”

“I know we shouldn’t but we have to tell Max. This has to end. I’m sure that one of them is going to die of a broken heart soon, and it’ll most likely be Liz. She looks so unhealthy, and now we know why. We just can’t wait around to watch our friends waste away because we were too scared of the consequences.” Michael pleaded.

“Yeah, but do you want to be responsible if 6 billion people die including our family, friends, and ourselves?” Isabel asked. Isabel and Michael realized that they were torn down the middle between the present and the unknown future; between keeping their knowledge a secret and doing what’s right. After a hour of debating they knew their answer.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.